Author Topic: Samson Oil & Gas Completes Initial Multi-Stage Acid Stimulation  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Samson Oil & Gas Completes Initial Multi-Stage Acid Stimulation

http://www.oilandgas360.com/samson-oil-gas-completes-initial-multi-stage-acid-stimulation-4/?utm_medium=email
Closing Bell Story / E&P   by— Oil & Gas 360

Maris 1-16H Stimulation

The Maris 1-16H multi-stage acid stimulation was completed Friday, June 24th. This well is a horizontal open hole completion in the Ratcliffe Member of the Mississippian Madison Formation, which is predominantly a limestone reservoir. The well has produced 177,000 barrels of oil after being initially drilled in 2004. The well was acquired as part of a package of wells in an acquisition that closed on April 1st, 2016. Samson became Operator of this well on June 5th. The well had a shut in proved category (PDNP) as at the acquisition date.

A leading oil service provider designed and delivered a state of the art, multi-stage hydrochloric acid (HCl)/diversion product that was designed to treat the entire open hole well bore. The diversion of the acid to multiple permeability zones is the key component in the application such that acid can be delivered to open pore throats along the entire 4,500 feet horizontal length. Acid stimulation is an industry generally accepted, permeability enhancement technique that relies on a simple chemical reaction between calcium carbonate (which is the composition of limestone) and hydrochloric acid which effectively dissolves the calcium carbonate and thereby enhancing the permeability of the oil saturated reservoir.

More at:
http://www.oilandgas360.com/samson-oil-gas-completes-initial-multi-stage-acid-stimulation-4/?utm_medium=email
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Re: Samson Oil & Gas Completes Initial Multi-Stage Acid Stimulation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 04:27:45 am »
For those not familiar with the term, this is known as an Acid Frac. In the WIlliston Basin, these have been used with mixed results (especially when used in vertical wells) because a change in pore geometry can cause a well to produce more water instead of more oil.

The jury is still out on this one...

(and yep, I have done the wellsite geology on horizontal wells in the Ratcliffe)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:45:40 am »
For those not familiar with the term, this is known as an Acid Frac. In the WIlliston Basin, these have been used with mixed results (especially when used in vertical wells) because a change in pore geometry can cause a well to produce more water instead of more oil.

The jury is still out on this one...

(and yep, I have done the wellsite geology on horizontal wells in the Ratcliffe)

What's the cost v. regular fracking? Is it something that can be generally applied or is it a speciality tech?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 05:47:58 am »
What's the cost v. regular fracking? Is it something that can be generally applied or is it a speciality tech?
First, I am not sure where the cost falls.

It is usually only applied to carbonate rocks (limestone or Dolomite), and the viability does vary with rock type. It is unlikely this would be desirable in a shale formation frac because there might not be enough Calcite (mineral name for Calcium Carbonate) or Dolomite (Calcium Magnesium Carbonate) to react with and neutralize the acid. In that case, it would be a waste of money and acid, and create an additional problem for production people.

Applications include Limestone (made primarily of Calcite) or Dolomite reservoir rocks which would benefit from opening pore throats using the acid or dissolving fine carbonate solids which have been forced back into the formation while drilling. Not all reservoirs will show better production, and the rock itself should be studied before deciding to use the technique.

A lighter concentration, relatively low pressure technique called an 'acid wash' may be used to clean up pore openings damaged or blocked while drilling the well, but that does not involve the same pressures a frac does.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 02:25:59 am »

This is really a completely different stimulation technique than the more recently termed 'hydraulic stage fraccing' that is the basis for the huge boom in unconventionals.

What is generally done when one does hydraulic stage fraccing is to open up new fractures by high injection (or frac pressures) in stages that are mechanically separated by packers outside the casing in an openhole or by plugs inside the casing in a cemented hole.  These fractures will close after the pressure is let off, so sand in large quantities are introduced to 'prop' them open so formation fluids can then produce through them to the wellbore. 

This application is best for very tight(or tite or low permeability formations).  These formations must be in friable formations or rock which can be shattered easily.  Think of breaking glass which is easily broken vs breaking chocolate pudding which does not.

The procedure this article entails is quite different.  It is only for very calcified formations such as limestone or dolomite, as the fractures are not created by high pressures as much as dissolving via acid action the actual formation.  They do not require the sand as a propping agent after pressure is removed as they were not created by pressures that move the rock apart but by dissolving rock.

The stages described in this article are not mechanical separation, but simply placing within the injected fluids what they call a diverting 'agent' periodically which just fill up the fractures created to 'divert' the injection fluids to a new interval that can be fracced.  This diversion agent breaks down over time to allow the fractures to reopen, and may be as simple as rock salt which is more than capable of plugging up a fracture then dissolving after time as water is passed through it.

There are certain formations that respond extremely well to acid fracs, and some are just simply fabulous.  That is a key on their application.

And acid fracs, since they do not require generally as high a pressure to inject, no sand or propping, and much less volumes, as well as a cheaper way to create stages, are much cheaper.

When they are correctly applied to a formation, they can be much more prolific than even hydraulic fracturing.

I worked a tight formation in California in which hydraulic fraccing was tried for several years with lukewarm success.  When someone decided to apply an acid frac, the results were many times better than the hydraulic fracs.  That field became one of the largest consumers of acid in the world due to its astounding success.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WAC

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 03:29:12 am »
This is really a completely different stimulation technique than the more recently termed 'hydraulic stage fraccing' that is the basis for the huge boom in unconventionals.

What is generally done when one does hydraulic stage fraccing is to open up new fractures by high injection (or frac pressures) in stages that are mechanically separated by packers outside the casing in an openhole or by plugs inside the casing in a cemented hole.  These fractures will close after the pressure is let off, so sand in large quantities are introduced to 'prop' them open so formation fluids can then produce through them to the wellbore. 

This application is best for very tight(or tite or low permeability formations).  These formations must be in friable formations or rock which can be shattered easily.  Think of breaking glass which is easily broken vs breaking chocolate pudding which does not.

The procedure this article entails is quite different.  It is only for very calcified formations such as limestone or dolomite, as the fractures are not created by high pressures as much as dissolving via acid action the actual formation.  They do not require the sand as a propping agent after pressure is removed as they were not created by pressures that move the rock apart but by dissolving rock.

The stages described in this article are not mechanical separation, but simply placing within the injected fluids what they call a diverting 'agent' periodically which just fill up the fractures created to 'divert' the injection fluids to a new interval that can be fracced.  This diversion agent breaks down over time to allow the fractures to reopen, and may be as simple as rock salt which is more than capable of plugging up a fracture then dissolving after time as water is passed through it.

There are certain formations that respond extremely well to acid fracs, and some are just simply fabulous.  That is a key on their application.

And acid fracs, since they do not require generally as high a pressure to inject, no sand or propping, and much less volumes, as well as a cheaper way to create stages, are much cheaper.

When they are correctly applied to a formation, they can be much more prolific than even hydraulic fracturing.

I worked a tight formation in California in which hydraulic fraccing was tried for several years with lukewarm success.  When someone decided to apply an acid frac, the results were many times better than the hydraulic fracs.  That field became one of the largest consumers of acid in the world due to its astounding success.

Very Interesting...thank you for posting this.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 01:04:54 pm »
I remember that most of the fracking done on vertically drilled wells in the Permian Basin back in the 70's was acid. I think either hydrochloric and/or sulfuric acid based fluids. I do remember they waste was pretty nasty stuff.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:46 pm »
I remember that most of the fracking done on vertically drilled wells in the Permian Basin back in the 70's was acid. I think either hydrochloric and/or sulfuric acid based fluids. I do remember they waste was pretty nasty stuff.

Nasty when it came back out and downright scary if it came back unspent.

Lots of Calcite in those Permian Rocks.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 07:14:38 pm »

Very Interesting...thank you for posting this.

There are videos out there with animations which make this much easier to understand than the words I used.

Here's one from Marathon Oil. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY34PQUiwOQ