Author Topic: Dream Chaser tapped for UN space mission  (Read 1261 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Dream Chaser tapped for UN space mission
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:47:59 pm »

The Colorado-built Dream Chaser space plane could carry payloads into orbit for the United Nations under an unusual agreement.

Louisville-based Sierra Nevada Corp. Space Systems, maker of the experimental re-usable space plane, and the UN Office of Outer Space Affairs signed a memorandum of understanding to work out having the Dream Chaser take at least one payload into space.

The idea is to have participating UN member nations to work with SNC Space Systems on using Dream Chaser as a “flexible SUV” for low-orbit missions, the company said.

“Our vision, in partnership with the UN, is to provide UN member countries affordable access to space and a range of multi-mission opportunities using the Dream Chaser spacecraft to host a wide range of payloads,” said Mark Sirangelo, SNC vice president and lead executive for the company’s space systems division.

“Countries will be able to customize their participation level commensurate with the maturity of their space capabilities and national desires, while engaging their universities, industrial companies and government laboratories, and most importantly, their people," Sirangelo said.

Read More: http://www.interstellar-news.net/2016/06/dream-chaser-tapped-for-un-space-mission.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

Re: Dream Chaser tapped for UN space mission
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:49:11 pm »
hhmmmmm

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:26:49 pm »
hhmmmmm

My thought exactly.  Since when does the UN have anyplace to deliver to in LEO or anyplace else??

Much ado about nothing.

:smokin:

geronl

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:36:55 pm »
My thought exactly.  Since when does the UN have anyplace to deliver to in LEO or anyplace else??

Much ado about nothing.

I suppose this is about helping smaller countries take advantage of their satellite slots at a much reduced price.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 04:03:46 pm »
I suppose this is about helping smaller countries take advantage of their satellite slots at a much reduced price.

A manned spacecraft is not the way to accomplish cheap satellite launches. That makes it much more expensive.

WTF does the UN need launch capability for????

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 04:14:58 pm »
The idea is to have participating UN member nations to work with SNC Space Systems on using Dream Chaser as a “flexible SUV” for low-orbit missions, the company said.

I think the last spacecraft so-advertised ended up costing somewhere north of $500 million/launch....

Not that I'm against them trying, but this kind of over-promising tends to end up as welcome as a fart on an elevator.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:15:23 pm by r9etb »