Author Topic: Plagiarized Lessons and Deceptive Tactics: A Look Inside the Trump Institute  (Read 1192 times)

Offline thatcher

Plagiarized Lessons and Deceptive Tactics: A Look Inside the Trump Institute

In 2005, as he was making a transition from developing real estate to capitalizing on his fame through ventures like a reality show and product-licensing deals, Donald J. Trump hit upon a two-pronged strategy for entering the field of for-profit education.

He poured his own money into Trump University, which began as a distance-learning business advising customers on how to make money in real estate, but left a long trail of customers alleging they were defrauded. Their lawsuits have cast a shadow over Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign.

But Mr. Trump also lent his name, and his credibility, to a seminar business he did not own, which was branded the Trump Institute. Its operators rented out hotel ballrooms across the country and invited people to pay up to $2,000 to come hear Mr. Trump’s “wealth-creating secrets and strategies.”

And its customers had ample reason to ask whether they, too, had been deceived.

As with Trump University, the Trump Institute promised falsely that its teachers would be handpicked by Mr. Trump. Mr. Trump did little, interviews show, besides appear in an infomercial — one that promised customers access to his vast accumulated knowledge. “I put all of my concepts that have worked so well for me, new and old, into our seminar,” he said in the 2005 video, adding, “I’m teaching what I’ve learned.”

Reality fell far short. In fact, the institute was run by a couple who had run afoul of regulators in dozens of states and been dogged by accusations of deceptive business practices and fraud for decades. Similar complaints soon emerged about the Trump Institute.

Yet there was an even more fundamental deceit to the business, unreported until now: Extensive portions of the materials that students received after forking over their seminar fees, supposedly containing Mr. Trump’s special wisdom, had been plagiarized from an obscure real estate manual published a decade earlier.

Together, the exaggerated claims about his own role, the checkered pasts of the people with whom he went into business and the theft of intellectual property at the venture’s heart all illustrate the fiction underpinning so many of Mr. Trump’s licensing businesses: Putting his name on products and services — and collecting fees — was often where his actual involvement began and ended.

Read more:  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/us/politics/donald-trump-institute-plagiarism.html?_r=0

geronl

Decades or more!

They might as well nominate Ronald McDonald, who is much more respected I bet.

Offline Mechanicos

New York Times is now the goto for #neverTrump, along with Washington Post, Slate Mother Jones, Eric Erickson and every far left blog out there.

And the trust people who claim to be principled conservatives put in such pro-Hillary publications is puzzling to say the least.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline thatcher

Sure, most of the time it's like reading Pravda -- but as a lifelong conservative I'm able to discern the difference between propaganda and facts.

Offline sinkspur

New York Times is now the goto for #neverTrump, along with Washington Post, Slate Mother Jones, Eric Erickson and every far left blog out there.

And the trust people who claim to be principled conservatives put in such pro-Hillary publications is puzzling to say the least.

As opposed to that toilet rag Trumpbart, the bottom-feeding Gateway Pundit, and the increasingly discredited American Thinker.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

As opposed to that toilet rag Trumpbart, the bottom-feeding Gateway Pundit, and the increasingly discredited American Thinker.
Unlike your sources there is no doubt as to which ones are conservative publications. The propensity to be using all things left wing does not reflect back well.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline thatcher

Unlike your sources there is no doubt as to which ones are conservative publications. The propensity to be using all things left wing does not reflect back well.

How do you fight the enemy if you don't know what he's thinking.

Offline Mechanicos

How do you fight the enemy if you don't know what he's thinking.
Knowing the enemy does require one to become the enemy. Besides its not like the enemy is not willing to visit in the guise of being one or more of us and will tell us all their Agitprop and propaganda. They out themselves tho by arguing liberal positions and using liberal authorities.

Offline thatcher

Knowing the enemy does require one to become the enemy. Besides its not like the enemy is not willing to visit in the guise of being one or more of us and will tell us all their Agitprop and propaganda. They out themselves tho by arguing liberal positions and using liberal authorities.

LOL.  My, my -- now who would that be, I wonder...

I would argue that all of the conservatives on this forum are perfectly capable of deciding on their own which sources -- even the most liberal -- to read without it sending them into a tizzy.  Others...not so much.  If you don't like the articles, just scroll on by -- or per the tone of your response -- send me to the reeducation camp.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:36:46 pm by thatcher »