Author Topic: The Wisdom of Mencken and Nock Seems Fresh Today  (Read 358 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Wisdom of Mencken and Nock Seems Fresh Today
« on: June 29, 2016, 01:05:59 pm »
Statism is on the rise from both sides.

Believing in my bones, as I do, that both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are unworthy and unqualified to be president of the United States has inspired me to do a lot of soul searching, and that has drawn me more and more to the writings of the legendary H. L. Mencken and less-than-legendary Albert J. Nock. The two Tory anarchists, as some called them, were friends and intellectual comrades-in-arms who stood athwart the progressive and populist passions that defined American politics in the first half of the 20th century.....

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437261/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-bipartisan-statism?utm_source=NR&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=June29Goldberg

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: The Wisdom of Mencken and Nock Seems Fresh Today
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:27 pm »
I keep a number of the books by H.L. Mencken and Albert Jay Nock within the easiest reach
on the bookshelves behind the desk in my little home office/studio. Including but not limited
to both of Mencken's Chrestomathys and Prejudices: A Selection, not to mention
The Bathtub Hoax and Minority Report; and, Mr. Nock's On Doing the Right
Thing
, Mr. Jefferson, Our Enemy, the State, Free Speech and Plain Language,
Memoirs of a Superfluous Man, and Snoring as a Fine Art. Their erudition is to be
envied; their suspicion of State power to be exhumed as often as possible. (As should be those
of Nock's protege Frank Chodorov, whose Fugitive Essays occupies a similar place . . .)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:46:52 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.