Author Topic: Trump Could Trigger The Longest Recession Since The Great Depression, Report Says  (Read 603 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HUFFINGTON POST

URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-recession_us_5769539ce4b0a75709b7c788

by: Ben Walsh

Donald Trump’s economic policies are so bad that they would produce the longest U.S. recession since the Great Depression, a report from economists at Moody’s Analytics found last week.

Assume, as the economists did, that Trump could implement his key economic policies — tax cuts skewed heavily to the one percent, mass deportation of illegal immigrants, and huge tariffs on imports from China and Mexico — during his first two years as president.

The result: the U.S. will go into recession at the start of 2018 and not emerge until 2020. Instead of 6 million new jobs being created, 3.4 million Americans would lose their jobs. Gross domestic product will fall by 2.4 percent. That’s a longer, though less severe, downturn than the Great Recession (which officially began in December 2007 and ended in June 2009).

The Moody’s economists summed up their warning:

Even allowing for some variability in the accuracy of the economic modeling and underlying assumptions that drive the analysis, four basic conclusions regarding the impact of Mr. Trump’s economic proposals can be reached: 1) they will result in a less global U.S. economy; 2) they will lead to larger government deficits and more debt; 3) they will largely benefit very high-income households; and 4) they will result in a weaker U.S. economy, with fewer jobs and higher unemployment.

To reach that conclusion, the economists took Trump’s stated policies and plugged them into their model for the U.S. economy. They noted that their model is similar to the ones used by the Federal Reserve and the Congressional Budget Office.

EXCERPT ONLY, CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This ignores all the shovel ready jobs building the wall....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Just_Victor

0bama has already accomplished that.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
0bama has already accomplished that.
He didn't build a wall.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis