Author Topic: No Speaking Slots at the RNC Convention? Ted Cruz and John Kasich Brush Off Trump’s Threat  (Read 2122 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: New York Times

URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/us/politics/no-speaking-slots-ted-cruz-and-john-kasich-brush-off-trumps-threat.html?_r=0

by: Jeremy W. Peters

Ted Cruz and John Kasich have a message for Donald J. Trump: They don’t care if they are not invited to speak at his convention.

As Mr. Trump tries to plan a convention that will run as smoothly as possible, he said in an interview with The New York Times last week that he would not invite either Mr. Cruz or Mr. Kasich, both former rivals for the Republican presidential nomination, to speak at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland unless they endorsed him.

That is fine, both said on Monday. A spokeswoman for Mr. Cruz, Catherine Frazier, said the Texas senator did not have any expectation about receiving a speaking slot. A spokesman for Mr. Kasich, the governor of Ohio, was similarly indifferent.

“We have not sought nor are we expecting a speaking slot at the convention,” said the spokesman, Chris Schrimpf.

In Mr. Kasich’s case, the situation is even more strained because the convention will take place in his home state. Ordinarily, a governor whose party is hosting a convention in his backyard would play a big role. Not this year.

Mr. Kasich’s spokesman said the governor plans to be “in and around” Cleveland that week. But he has no plans to be involved in anything that has to do with Mr. Trump.

Instead, he will attend “events focusing on keeping the Republican majorities in Congress and winning races down ballot,” Mr. Schrimpf said.

If Mr. Cruz and Mr. Kasich never set foot in the convention hall, they would hardly be the only Republicans staying away. Other governors, senators, members of Congress and senior party officials are skipping, too. Even some delegates are renouncing their roles.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline Norm Lenhart

URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/us/politics/no-speaking-slots-ted-cruz-and-john-kasich-brush-off-trumps-threat.html?_r=0

Smartest thing they can do is stay away. When the fantasy collapses they'll look like visionaries compared to the go along/get along crowd. Which they actually are for having the foresight and sense to avoid this trainwreck.

Unfortunately in today's world, common sense and the will to stand for something is considered a unique/revolutionary thing. And often spay on.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

A leader would reach out to them and make peace.  All Trump has done is continue the insults and bullying. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:17:01 pm by driftdiver »
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Henry Noel

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Norm Lenhart

A leader would reach out to them and make peace.  All Trump has done is continue the insults and bullying.

Kaisch maybe. But after the hatchet job he did on Cruz and his wife, I don't see how Ted makes peace, nor should he.

People can argue 'For the good of the country" all they want, however if he did that once, he will do so again simply because it worked. The question is who will he do it to after election? And "Why would we as a nation be so stupid as to elect a 'leader' of such liberal tactics"?

I mean lets be honest. He did the same thing to a lesser degree to every opponent. TC got the full Monty as he was the real threat. I fully expect any  time Trump does not get his way, he will do it again and again to those most a danger to his agenda. Thats his business history.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Kaisch maybe. But after the hatchet job he did on Cruz and his wife, I don't see how Ted makes peace, nor should he.

People can argue 'For the good of the country" all they want, however if he did that once, he will do so again simply because it worked. The question is who will he do it to after election? And "Why would we as a nation be so stupid as to elect a 'leader' of such liberal tactics"?

I mean lets be honest. He did the same thing to a lesser degree to every opponent. TC got the full Monty as he was the real threat. I fully expect any  time Trump does not get his way, he will do it again and again to those most a danger to his agenda. Thats his business history.

Sorry, that wasn't a criticism of Cruz or Kaisch.   It was a criticism of Trump who has done nothing to "build bridges" or even show a modicum of respect for other people.   

His supporters have the same mindset.  He "deserves" to be President because of who he is.  You never hear a word about him earning peoples respect, trust or support.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Speaking slot?  If a pol wants a future , they'd best be served by not being within 500 miles of Cleveland that week.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:27:11 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

geronl

Trump keeps burning those bridges and keeping his pool of potential support small.

Offline GrouchoTex

Trump needs to reach out to Cruz, not the other way around.

Why? Trump said Cruz's father was part of the Plot to assassinate JFK, and said it twice.
How would he expect anyone of us to support him if he did the same to any of us, let alone go speak on national TV on his behalf, at a party convention.

The odds are against Trump reaching out and apologizing.
He doesn't think he needs to.

Offline R4 TrumPence

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Henry Noel

Trump needs to reach out to Cruz, not the other way around.

Why? Trump said Cruz's father was part of the Plot to assassinate JFK, and said it twice.
How would he expect anyone of us to support him if he did the same to any of us, let alone go speak on national TV on his behalf, at a party convention.

The odds are against Trump reaching out and apologizing.
He doesn't think he needs to.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that he did it to Cruz means that he did it to me.

Online roamer_1

He "deserves" to be President because of who he is.

The Won II.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
This kind of BS does absolutely nothing to help Trump win this election and he MUST know it.  Even if he doesn't, he has plenty of people around telling him!!  Therefore, it MUST be as intentional as saying he doesn't need Cruz or his supporters.  What is the logical conclusion folks??  He's trying to lose the election.    What kind of fool does this???

Offline Henry Noel

This kind of BS does absolutely nothing to help Trump win this election and he MUST know it.  Even if he doesn't, he has plenty of people around telling him!!  Therefore, it MUST be as intentional as saying he doesn't need Cruz or his supporters.  What is the logical conclusion folks??  He's trying to lose the election.    What kind of fool does this???

I've been saying this for a while now, but no one seems to believe me, perhaps because it seems too incredible.

Offline DB

His ego is a sword that cuts both ways... I doubt his ego would let him not try to win the big prize but at the same time his ego won't allow anything other than total loyalty and any slight must be answered with extreme prejudice. He knows no other way. He's his own worst enemy.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:37:36 am by DB »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump is a failure as a business leader. Trump is a failure as an executive. Trump is a failure as a father. Trump is a failure as a husband. Trump is a failure as a candidate. Trump is a failure as a human being.

See a pattern here?

Offline OldSaltUSN

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that he did it to Cruz means that he did it to me.
:amen:      :hands:

Offline OldSaltUSN

I've been saying this for a while now, but no one seems to believe me, perhaps because it seems too incredible.

I believe you, because I"ve also said it a plenty.    Bill Clinton was a marginal candidate in 1992, against a sitting President, war hero, and long serving member of Congress and prior Administration cabinets.  He was facing a President with an 80% approval rating, who was arguably the victor in a recent war.  Clinton needed help.  He needed an ace the the hole.  He need to rile up the electorate, and convince them that they were in the "worst economy in 50 years".

Enter Ross Perot.  Long time Southern Democrat, just down the road from Clinton's "good ol' boy" Arkansas.  He was a LONG time FOB, and by golly, Perot was a folksy reformer who was gonna solve all those post office problems.   He was also a successful $Billionaire, who had ton's of free media eating out of the palm of his hand.

2016, and Hillary is following the worst President in modern times.  She's got email scandals to worry about, dead men in Benghazi with LIVE MEN still around to tell American's about it all.  She's in a real pickle.

Enter Donald Trump, long time FOB, $Billionaire, lifelong progressive and usually Democrat,  erstwhile "reformer", populist, pseudo-Republican, and boy-oh-boy, is he gonna make America great again.  Does that pattern ring a bell?

Having succeeded beyond his wildest dream, Trump still has an agreement to keep with the kind of people who you don't break agreements with, if ya know what I mean.

Trump is to Hillary what Perot was to Bill.  He's Hillary's ticket to the White House.  It worked the first time, and it's working even better the second time.

Yes, a Trumpkin could say I'm wearing my tin foil hat today, and be quite accurate in that description.  However, why is Trump trying so hard to throw the election to Hillary?  How does it benefit Trump, if she win's and he does not?   I'm not sure, but there is certainly a benefit  and an agreement there somewhere.

It's the only logical explanation.

Offline DB

Do you really believe Trump doesn't want the big prize? Or that his ego would let it go if he thought it were in reach? President of the USA is the most exclusive club on the planet and is essentially the highest possible prize for the person that already has nearly everything.

Offline OldSaltUSN

Do you really believe Trump doesn't want the big prize? Or that his ego would let it go if he thought it were in reach? President of the USA is the most exclusive club on the planet and is essentially the highest possible prize for the person that already has nearly everything.

Agree with everything you said, absolutely.  However, you don't know what Hillary may have on Trump.  You don't know what it would cost Trump if he said "Hell with Hillary and Bill; I've got my own destiny now".

And Hillary would be SO broken hearted, as she addressed the nation, immediately after Trumps fatal heart attack, or within an hour of his fatal plane crash.

Yep, it sounds nutty, that he would toss the election, but what's the other explanation for him doing everything anyone could recommend to LOSE the election.

His trip to Ireland?  During Brexit?  No campaigning for a month after securing the election?  OMG!  Consider what he's doing.  He's either certifiable or he's following a course that he must.   Yes, when he's elected, he could toss Hillary in a prison, but he'd have to get to the Oval office first, and there are a whole lot of Federal Fort Marcy parks between him and Pennsylvania avenue.

• Technical
I believe you, because I"ve also said it a plenty.    Bill Clinton was a marginal candidate in 1992, against a sitting President, war hero, and long serving member of Congress and prior Administration cabinets.  He was facing a President with an 80% approval rating, who was arguably the victor in a recent war.  Clinton needed help.  He needed an ace the the hole.  He need to rile up the electorate, and convince them that they were in the "worst economy in 50 years".

Enter Ross Perot.  Long time Southern Democrat, just down the road from Clinton's "good ol' boy" Arkansas.  He was a LONG time FOB, and by golly, Perot was a folksy reformer who was gonna solve all those post office problems.   He was also a successful $Billionaire, who had ton's of free media eating out of the palm of his hand.

2016, and Hillary is following the worst President in modern times.  She's got email scandals to worry about, dead men in Benghazi with LIVE MEN still around to tell American's about it all.  She's in a real pickle.

Enter Donald Trump, long time FOB, $Billionaire, lifelong progressive and usually Democrat,  erstwhile "reformer", populist, pseudo-Republican, and boy-oh-boy, is he gonna make America great again.  Does that pattern ring a bell?

Having succeeded beyond his wildest dream, Trump still has an agreement to keep with the kind of people who you don't break agreements with, if ya know what I mean.

Trump is to Hillary what Perot was to Bill.  He's Hillary's ticket to the White House.  It worked the first time, and it's working even better the second time.

Yes, a Trumpkin could say I'm wearing my tin foil hat today, and be quite accurate in that description.  However, why is Trump trying so hard to throw the election to Hillary?  How does it benefit Trump, if she win's and he does not?   I'm not sure, but there is certainly a benefit  and an agreement there somewhere.

Don't agree that Trump is throwing the election to Hillary. He just had no idea that GOP voters would be dumb enough to elect someone like him. Normally they wouldn't but this year is "special". Douche Limblob, pill popping drug addict extraordinaire, declared Trump the anti-establishment candidate. This made GOP voters like him, because hating the GOP-e is "cool. Trump is just an incompetent on every level, his business acumen is all show, he has no credible executive experience, and as a human being he's just vapid.

Offline ScottinVA

Ditto here.  Trump should be made to atone for that.  He never paid a price for those vicious smears of Cruz and his family with the help of that slithering slanderer Roger Stone and his pet tabloid, the National Enquirer. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:34:15 am by ScottinVA »

• Technical
Ditto here.  Trump should be made to atone for that.  He never paid a price for those vicious smears of Cruz and his family with the help of that slithering slanderer Roger Stone and his pet tabloid, the National Enquirer.

Like so much else in the United States, we rewarded the person with the worst behavior. Worst thing about modern day America IMO.