Author Topic: No ‘Texit’: Trump says Texas ‘will never’ secede, amid renewed calls  (Read 1102 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Donald Trump splashed cold water Saturday on renewed calls by U.S. secessionists for Texas to break away from America in the wake of Britain’s vote to leave the European Union.

“Texas will never do that, because Texas loves me,” the presumptive Republican presidential nominee told reporters, while touring his golf resorts in Scotland. 

So-called Texas nationalists, who for years have waged a quixotic campaign to secede, swiftly seized on Thursday’s Brexit decision to demand a similar referendum, only on Texas “independence.” In the spirit of the vote, supporters like Texas Nationalist Movement leader Daniel Miller called for “Texit” -- a hashtag trending Friday on Twitter.

However, even as Britain’s vote to leave the E.U. raises the prospect of similar referendums across Europe, the push for Texas or any other state to break away from the U.S. stands little chance of succeeding. While Trump says the U.K. vote exposed an anger in the electorate that will rear its head elsewhere, he indicated he does not think that extends to any secession movement inside the United States – especially if he’s in the White House.

“Texas would never do that if I’m president,” Trump said, adding the same goes for Vermont when asked about a secessionist movement there. 

Trump’s comments mark a rebuke from the candidate who has drawn explicit parallels between the anti-establishment sentiments that fueled the Brexit decision and those fueling his campaign on this side of the pond.

The secessionists have long faced setbacks at every level of government.

The White House, in response to a petition, said three years ago that Texas simply cannot leave the union.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/06/25/no-texit-trump-says-texas-will-never-secede-amid-renewed-calls.html?intcmp=hpbt2

My prediction is Texit will not happen until after Scotland leaves the UK.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Mechanicos

Sounded like Humor not a rebuke. They will not leave because they love him...

Media is so dishonest.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
What he really mean to say was insert the opposite of what was reported here, because the media distorted him by insert lame excuse either saying it was a joke, misreported, or leading question here.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
You know, I still wouldn't support him, but I would drop all opposition to Trump if he could do one simple thing.

Go two weeks without making a statement that needs to be spun, a statement that is stupid, or a statement in direct opposition to his previous positions. So far he's managed two days. I think. Maybe he had a cold or something then.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

I need to join the Texas Nationalist Party now.... or help make one... or maybe a Texas Independence Party...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I need to join the Texas Nationalist Party now.... or help make one... or maybe a Texas Independence Party...

If anyone will actually take it seriously, one really needs to be made by actual rational people that don't have ulterior motives. Most of the Texas Independence movements are either kooks or cons selling fake land grants and bogus currency. (Miller's is a perfect example, don't even get me started on his movement).

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
If anyone will actually take it seriously, one really needs to be made by actual rational people that don't have ulterior motives. Most of the Texas Independence movements are either kooks or cons selling fake land grants and bogus currency. (Miller's is a perfect example, don't even get me started on his movement).

Which group is Miller's, please? 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:31:09 pm by Bear_in_RoseBear »
Let it burn.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Translation: there will never be any motion to secede while Trump's President because everyone will love Trump so much that there won't be any need or appetite for it.

This is Trump flaunting his ego again, as usual... of course, anyone who's seen this primary knows that it's about as true as everything else he's said, which is to say, not at all.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

The old, discredited Texas Movement has nothing to do with today's Texas Nationalist Movement run by Daniel Miller. I would like to hear why you have a negative opinion of him.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Which group is Miller's, please?

The Texas Nationalist Movement

http://www.thetnm.org/
Principles matter. Words matter.