Author Topic: To My 'Never Trump' Brethren  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Mechanicos

To My 'Never Trump' Brethren
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:20:57 am »
By: Walker Wildmon
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:39 AM

On Tuesday, hundreds of evangelical leaders gathered in New York City to meet with Donald Trump. I was one of the four representatives from AFA who attended this event. Overall I was pleased with the questions that were asked and the answers that were given.  My father, Tim Wildmon summed up the meeting in a recent article that I’d encourage you to read. The purpose of this piece is to address the ‘Never Trump’ crowd.

Many fellow Christians who are in the ‘Never Trump’ camp were quick to criticize the over 900 brothers and sisters who met with Mr. Trump. To be clear, while I respect each individual’s choice on who to vote for, I have a beef with how some in this camp have criticized the meeting.

One conservative writer by the name of Michael Farris labeled this meeting as “the end of the Christian Right” insinuating that because Christians met with Trump, our movement is ruined. I strongly disagree. Simply because evangelical leaders met with a candidate and asked him questions about his positions doesn’t equal the end of the conservative movement. This meeting only shows that there are hundreds of Christian leaders that care enough about our country to try and influence the potential leader of the free world.

Another brother and conservative by the name of Steve Deace sounded off on twitter after this meeting by saying that Governor Mike Huckabee was a “shameless pile of dung” for complimenting Donald Trump for his family values and for raising his children to be successful. Whether you think Mr. Trump has done a good job as a father or not, there is no need to call Gov. Huckabee such. Huckabee is a well-respected individual among the evangelical community and this was way over the top by Deace.

It is telling that the most negative comments about the meeting have come from those who were not even in attendance to gather facts. Honestly, I’m not against Trump nor am I a cheerleader for him. I’m an evangelical who is trying to decide where my vote should go in November.

Men of God such as Franklin Graham, Tim Wildmon and Gary Bauer were in attendance Tuesday. These are men who are highly trusted among evangelicals who have lived faithfully and continue to engage the culture with biblical values.

Nonetheless, Erick Erickson found it appropriate to question their integrity. Erickson sounded off on Twitter stating “Really remarkable how similar the statements from Gary Bauer, Franklin Graham, and Tim Wildmon are regarding the Trump meeting.” The insinuation, of course, is that the trio conspired to release similar statements in an attempt to mislead people. Not only is this incorrect, it is entirely inappropriate for a fellow Christian to take his brothers to task for simply seeking answers to questions. Maybe Erikson should consider the statements to be accurate if the three are similar.

The gaping hole in the ‘Never Trump’ movement is the complete lack of a plausible alternative if winning the November election is in the equation. No write-in or third party candidate has any chance of winning.   Even if there was any hope for that kind of far-fetched win in November that would still not be just cause to denigrate those who choose to engage in dialogue with Trump.

Yet that is exactly what the conservative ‘Never Trump’ folks are doing. They are blasting and shaming anyone and everyone who disagrees with their view of the 2016 election. Along with the public bashing, these fellows are bringing into question the integrity of some of the most trusted evangelical leaders in our country. It is very telling that they have chosen to zero in on the sins of Donald Trump and impugn the integrity of fellow Christians who were simply seeking answers to their questions about what a possible Trump presidency might look like instead of the prolific and egregious sins of his presumptive Democratic opponent in the November election.

I’d like to call for a cease fire among my brethren. Let’s stop shooting arrows in our own house. It is entirely acceptable to have a civil discussion and debate on who we should vote for in November but let’s do so with respect. We may all come to different conclusions on what’s right and wrong but let’s stop the name-calling and insults.

http://www.afa.net/the-stand/news/2016/06/to-my-never-trump-brethren/

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: To My 'Never Trump' Brethren
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:28:20 am »
I’d like to call for a cease fire among my brethren. Let’s stop shooting arrows in our own house. It is entirely acceptable to have a civil discussion and debate on who we should vote for in November but let’s do so with respect. We may all come to different conclusions on what’s right and wrong but let’s stop the name-calling and insults.

We can't even do that here, Mr. Wildmon.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 11:39:26 am »

When Trump actually is the republican nominee it's a different ball game. But not until!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 12:20:37 pm »
Instead of chastising those who oppose Trump, Wildmon should ask himself why he thinks Trump worthy of the highest office in America.

His judgment is terrible, he's ignorant of policy, he's rude, insulting and demagogic.  There is a sizable segment of the population (latest polls peg it at 20%) who will vote for neither candidate.

Why is that? 

And why is it that so many of those who follow this charlatan telling those who aren't to shut up?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:26:12 pm »
Sure we can.  I respect that many trumpeters think they're doing the right thing.  I, as a neverTrump, just vehemently disagree.  I believe that conservatism is the solution to what ails our beloved country.  As such, I don't believe that voting for, at best, liberal statist lite (as evidenced by his entire life history) over a liberal statist will do anything other than MAYBE have us drift a little slower left.  To be honest, I'm damn near of a mind that perhaps my foolish countrymen should reap the whirlwind of their foolish decisions.

Oh and I will be among the first to happily proclaim I was wrong if Trump actually governs conservatively...but he won't.  He doesn't even speak the language.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 01:01:30 pm »
When Trump actually is the republican nominee it's a different ball game. But not until!

Agreed.  We continue to fight because nothing yet has been settled.   Like the nation,  the GOP as an organization is a republic, not a democracy.  The delegates have the power to select the nominee, and no one else.   They know what those of us who voted did, and they know their own consciences.

My own response to the Trumpsters is simple and without rancor - to save the message it is necessary to change the messenger. 

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 01:26:01 pm »
Sure we can.  I respect that many trumpeters think they're doing the right thing.  I, as a neverTrump, just vehemently disagree.  I believe that conservatism is the solution to what ails our beloved country.  As such, I don't believe that voting for, at best, liberal statist lite (as evidenced by his entire life history) over a liberal statist will do anything other than MAYBE have us drift a little slower left.  To be honest, I'm damn near of a mind that perhaps my foolish countrymen should reap the whirlwind of their foolish decisions.

Oh and I will be among the first to happily proclaim I was wrong if Trump actually governs conservatively...but he won't.  He doesn't even speak the language.

But here's the thing.

We don't care if he governs like a JFK Democrat, because all that's important is for this National Vertigo to stop!

Hillary Clinton would deliver the coup de grace to our Constitutional Republic as Founded.

Gotta learn to be a 'big picture' guy, @Axeslinger    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 01:28:54 pm »
But here's the thing.

We don't care if he governs like a JFK Democrat, because all that's important is for this National Vertigo to stop!

Hillary Clinton would deliver the coup de grace to our Constitutional Republic as Founded.

Donald Trump will not be a JFK democrat.  Donald Trump will be a NYC Bloomberg "republican", on steroids.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:43 pm »
Donald Trump will not be a JFK democrat.  Donald Trump will be a NYC Bloomberg "republican", on steroids.
Regardless, he will be pro-American. Hillary will not.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 01:38:09 pm »

Baloney.  The only allegiance Trump has is to himself.  Just like Clinton.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 01:43:44 pm »

Castro was pro Cuba
Chavez was pro Venezuela
Stalin was pro USSR...........
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:56:42 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »
Castro was pro Cuban
Chavez was pro Venezuela
Stalin was pro USSR...........
so you got a problem with Pro-American?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 01:49:07 pm »
  I believe that conservatism is the solution to what ails our beloved country.  As such, I don't believe that voting for, at best, liberal statist lite (as evidenced by his entire life history) over a liberal statist will do anything other than MAYBE have us drift a little slower left. 

:hands:

I'm perplexed by the number of conservatives who think a large and growing Federal Government under Trump will work better than one under Clinton
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 01:51:34 pm »
so you got a problem with Pro-American?

Complete meaningless term.

Just because a candidate loves their country doesn't mean they will make a good president.

Chavez loved Venezuela. How are things working out for the people as a result of his policies?

Barry Goldwater

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 01:53:03 pm »

No, it won't be any different.  Trump is not acceptable now nor will he ever be. 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 02:11:11 pm »

But the constitution will be safe with an ego-maniacal demagogue?  If you are truly concerned about the constitution, then elect Gary Johnson.  Of the viable candidates running, he is the only one who really respects it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 02:46:32 pm »
Complete meaningless term.

Like  conservatism?

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 02:48:25 pm »
If you are truly concerned about the constitution, then elect Gary Johnson.  Of the viable candidates running, he is the only one who really respects it.

In your humble opinion, of course @massadvj

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:01:20 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline WAC

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 02:56:55 pm »

I don't think the reality of what it would mean to this country if people choose to ignore the outcome if Hillary wins ..........

I sure don't like Trump, as many don't, yet there's more than a President we're voting for.  We're voting to stop Hillary and Bill from 'completing everything' the Obama administration has done and has set in place for her to carry on with that everyone is quite aware of.

Yes it is of course our God given "civic duty" to vote as he's asked we do......but is voting "other" going to even remotely affect the outcome 'favorable' to the very principles and values so many are trying to hold on in this election????  ........It's not about Trump.....it's about preserving those values and principles and  all that this country has fought and died for. ...the preservation of a nation and a peoples that God called to shine a light in all the dark corners of this world. .....Hillary and Bill will more than snuff that light out....they will, along with others inside and outside this nation, usher in everything that opposes that light....

Our nation has become dark enough!!  If we ever hope to bring it back from this we have to make our vote count  in this fight. I' looking at the big picture both now and for the future of my family....I don't have to "Like" the man of the hour God has risen above the fold......but unless He offers an alternative that can win this late in the game I will vote Trump....and trust the God I serve with the details and the big picture ahead of this nation....

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 03:05:04 pm »

My own response to the Trumpsters is simple and without rancor - to save the message it is necessary to change the messenger.

Really @Jazzhead?  Replace the "Trumpsters" with "Trump supporters" --- otherwise you need to research what "without rancor" means.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 03:06:29 pm »
No, it won't be any different.  Trump is not acceptable now nor will he ever be.

I agree. But he hasn't been nominated yet.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 03:12:51 pm »
Like  conservatism?

Conservatism is a set of ideals to attempt to, hopefully, implemented into policy. Things like fiscal responsibility, personal freedom and responsibility, limited government, free markets instead of  a centralized control over an economy, ect ect.

Many tyrannical and oppressive dictators who brought their countries to ruin also were Pro whatever country they ran

It's unfortunate that you don't understand the difference

Barry Goldwater

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 03:35:00 pm »

But the constitution will be safe with an ego-maniacal demagogue?  If you are truly concerned about the constitution, then elect Gary Johnson.  Of the viable candidates running, he is the only one who really respects it.

Like I said earlier..."Lucifer"...."ego-maniacal demagogue"??

Whatever label we assign....at least he's MINE!   

...and make no mistake.  Donald Trump is not a 'Nikita Khrushchev', banging his shoe on the table.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:44:14 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 03:39:03 pm »
Conservatism is a set of ideals to attempt to, hopefully, implemented into policy. Things like fiscal responsibility, personal freedom and responsibility, limited government, free markets instead of  a centralized control over an economy, ect ect.

Many tyrannical and oppressive dictators who brought their countries to ruin also were Pro whatever country they ran

It's unfortunate that you don't understand the difference

Before you presume to tell me what is unfortunate, @LMAO, translate all your many words into meaningful policy.  Or, take just one, like "personal freedom and responsibility" and translate that into a policy proposal a candidate can run for office on.  Don't give me more platitudes, give me an action plan.

Take you time.   :smokin:

Offline WAC

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 03:52:50 pm »

Do you know who changed my thinking, and that not so much about Trump but about not resisting what "is" a candidate that God appears to have risen above the fold no matter what I think should be otherwise.

It's not so much about the comparison to Saul as is often referenced regarding Trump, ( although he was certainly a rampaging wild beast and proves God can turn his most fiercest opponent  into his most willing servant), ....... It's about Ananias, which was where I was at.

You see Ananias protested when God moved him to act favorable toward Saul...... He had misgivings grounded in Saul's past reputation, the harm he had done, and all that Saul  was about.....and it's most interesting that the Lord does not directly answer Ananias's misgivings... he simply repeats his command: "Go!".......The sovereign Lord had spoken. That is all the rationale Ananias or we need. ....Yet in his mercy the Lord also tells Ananias Saul's new status as my chosen instrument.

What if Trump is indeed God's chosen man  to shake things up and stop what's been destroying HIS peoples freedoms in this country.?????  We all know that at any time God could have stopped Trump.....the very fact that God didn't, that instead Trumps rise confused and confounded so many, who thought they controlled this election,...was stunning!

I believe it when God says he raises up leaders......the entire world watched this, not just our nation. All dumbfounded. I had to pull away from it all and seek God's guidance for I too could not understand why so much was thrown at Trump and yet he stood and stands still today. ...and the enormous efforts to attack the man just continue daily.  But more what in the world was God doing!

Well...God made it clear to me then I had not taken the "Saul" comparison far enough as I centered only on his Damascus Expereince.
And as usual when we read or contemplate about scripture God draws us to "our role" in the characters......though we may not see it at the moment he has his way of driving his purpose and thoughts to ours......Anninias came through clearly as I "reasoned" with the Lord...and the idea that I was being just as resistant.

I share this because when I said it took 'A LOT' for me to say I'd support Trump, however reluctantly...and unless God reveals another I will vote for him as well. Regardless of what his "condition as a man is".......

Interesting that after I came to grips with this we learn that the great Christians Leaders we so respect met with Trump and any now support Him as well....that meeting began with just the idea of about 100 pastors meeting....it ended up over a thousand.....how any can deny that God isn't moving in this election is beyond me....but as usual not in the way we expect him too.....after all He never chooses the people we expect for great things................David was a shepherd...Mary was a poor Jewish girl, ...Jesus was a carpenter, ("can anything good come out of Nazareth? it was said)...Ester, Soloman, all called for their moment in time...and never anticipated....