Author Topic: Massive Full-Scale Version of Noah's Ark Comes to Life in Kentucky ($100 million)  (Read 2128 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Well, of course, I'd heard of Ken Ham and when I saw Kentucky, figured that it had to do with his organization.  So, it's already built at a cost of $100 million!

Massive Full-Scale Version of Noah's Ark Comes to Life in Kentucky

There might not be a flood of biblical proportions in the forecast, but Noah's Ark is coming to Williamstown, Kentucky, this summer.

A full-size version of Noah's Ark is expected to be completed before Ark Encounter, a Bible-themed park, opens July 7.

Ken Ham had the massive ship built to match the dimensions set out in the Bible. The entire project is expected to cost $100 million.

"The message that we have — it's making the Bible come alive, really. By building Noah's Ark, we're saying, 'This really happened. This is plausible,'" Ham told "Nightline."

According to Ham, his ark is 510 feet long, 85 feet wide and 51 feet high. "It gets bigger and bigger. When you get inside, it gets bigger again," he said.

Picture And Rest of Article At Link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/massive-full-scale-replica-noahs-ark-life-kentucky/story?id=39701773

Offline TomSea

May:
Atheist Ad Mocking Noah's Ark Park as 'Genocide and Incest' Center Rejected by Billboard Companies
http://abcnews.go.com/US/atheist-ad-mocking-noahs-ark-park-genocide-incest/story?id=39034409

At least, something besides conservative causes have been refused!

Offline TomSea

Ken Ham's twitter; might be worth perusing to some:

https://twitter.com/aigkenham?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Am I the only one who has a problem with this? Of course I always thought something was off about Hamm and thinks he drives people away from Christianity.

Offline TomSea

Per Abraxas: Yes, I can see how one could debate this topic.

------------

Found this on his twitter page; how the Ark compares to a football field.

$100 million, I know this is a lot of work, seems perhaps a bit steep of a price to me.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:21:40 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

If it is not your money, why do you care?

This is a discussion forum, is this your contribution?

One can speculate, is one trying to undermine the purpose of this forum.  $100 million is a lot of money, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking if it would take $100 million to build this.

The Creation vs. Evolution debate talks about the flood story a lot.  So there is a broad purpose in choosing to illustrate it in this way.  Those who don't like it, don't have to go view it.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:56:49 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

How does illustrating a Bible story drive people away from Christianity?

We are not suppose to get into religious discussions too deeply here. I'd say though, an argument can be made with those who believe the earth is only 6000 years old as I believe the Ken Ham point of view is. I don't want to get into a religious discussion as far as that goes but this is a facet of his ministry.

Offline TomSea

If it is not your money, why do you care?

This reminds me of the bumpersticker one sees, "Against Abortion? Don't Get One".

Offline sinkspur

Am I the only one who has a problem with this? Of course I always thought something was off about Hamm and thinks he drives people away from Christianity.

There was no Noah's ark.  It's a nice story though.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline TomSea

There was no Noah's ark.  It's a nice story though.
Thank you for your opinion.

Offline TomSea

Evidence Suggests Noah’s Ark Flood Existed, Says Robert Ballard, Archaeologist Who Found Titanic
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/10/evidence-noahs-flood-ark-real-robert-ballard-archeologist-titanic_n_2273143.html

Robert Ballard, one of the world’s most famous underwater explorers, has set his sights on proving the existence of one of the Bible’s most well known stories.

In an interview with ABC’s Christiane Amanpour the archaeologist who discovered the Titanic discussed his findings from his search in Turkey for evidence of a civilization swept away by a monstrous ancient flood.

“We went in there to look for the flood,” Ballard said. “Not just a slow moving, advancing rise of sea level, but a really big flood that then stayed... The land that went under stayed under.”

Many have claimed to have discovered evidence of Noah’s Ark, the huge ship that Noah filled with two of each creature to repopulate the planet following God’s devastating flood. But in the 1990s, geologists William Ryan and Walter Pitman gathered compelling evidence that showed a flood—if not an ark—may have occurred in the Middle East region about 7,500 years ago, PBS reports.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/mysteries-bible-proof-noahs-ark-christiane-amanpour-investigates-18034944

Many certainly believe it lodged itself on Mount Ararat in Turkey as well.

Offline sinkspur

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/mysteries-bible-proof-noahs-ark-christiane-amanpour-investigates-18034944

Many certainly believe it lodged itself on Mount Ararat in Turkey as well.

Oh, for sure the Flood happened. But there was no massive ark carrying two of every kind of creature. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline TomSea

Well, I'm not going to go into the religious aspects of this as that is not forum etiquette, the story is here. Maybe one should go to the exhibit and see what it offers.

We are not to discuss religion however, there is a bit of an opening in just posting Biblical archaeological finds.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:52:25 am by TomSea »

Offline Victoria33

Well, of course, I'd heard of Ken Ham and when I saw Kentucky, figured that it had to do with his organization.  So, it's already built at a cost of $100 million!

Thanks for posting that, I did not know of it.  It is worth going to Kentucky to see, to actually see the size of the Ark.  We may just do that.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sorry, but why would he spend $100M of I assume donations on this? This could fund practically every missionary and ministry out there, amply. So many better ways to spread the Word.
The Republic is lost.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Sorry, but why would he spend $100M of I assume donations on this? This could fund practically every missionary and ministry out there, amply. So many better ways to spread the Word.

As a Pastor and foreign missionary to the third world, I can concur with the sentiment.  The church in America has grown away from doing Matthew 28:19-20 to create an entertainment and emotional experience for American appetites that has largely shaped the Christian religion into our own image.  Turning Christianity and the bible into a theme park is definitely an American cultural trait.   100 million would indeed fund, feed and even build churches and homes for congregations in the third world where the Gospel is growing amidst increasing hostility and persecution.

That said, that they completed this attraction is a major feat, and it may help give anchors to the faith of many who might otherwise waver in a changing culture.  I don't need to see a replica to cement or reinforce my own faith - but perhaps many American Christians today need that kind of thing.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Consider, too, that given his hiring practices, it is very likely the vast majority of his employees are Bible believing Christians, and in this economy, it is good to have a job. It is worth visiting the link.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis