Author Topic: Brexit Referendum Is Non-Binding. UK Parliament Not Voters has Final Say  (Read 781 times)

Offline Suppressed

http://www.globalresearch.ca/brexit-referendum-is-non-binding-uk-parliament-not-voter-has-final-say/5532485

Brexit Referendum Is Non-Binding. UK Parliament Not Voters has Final Say

By Stephen Lendman
Global Research, June 23, 2016

All the fuss and bother about Brexit largely ignores its non-binding status – parliament, not voters deciding if Britain stays or leaves the EU, the latter extremely unlikely.

Writing in the Financial Times, British lawyer David Allen Green explained Brexit voting is “advisory,” not “mandatory.” Parliament has final say.

MPs can legally disregard the public’s will either way, they alone empowered to decide the path Britain chooses.
What happens ahead is “a matter of politics not law. It will come down to what is politically expedient and practicable,” said Green.

Invoking Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is another matter entirely, legally binding, unlike Thursday’s vote.

Green highlighted key points. Member states can choose how to vote on withdrawal – by referendum, parliament or other means.

The withdrawal process begins with formal notification. Once “given, the member state and the EU are stuck with it.”

Member states wishing to withdraw have up to two years maximum to complete the process “unless this period is extended by unanimous agreement.”

Once withdrawal intentions are announced and initiated, there’s no going back. At the same time, what’s “created by international agreement can be undone” the same way.

Special interests decide things. Whatever they want they get. However voting turns out, government policy “is to remain in the EU,” said Green.

Leaving would require Prime Minister David Cameron invoking Article 50, unlikely given his vocal opposition to Brexit.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

geronl

Pity the MP that votes against their constituency.

Leaving would require Prime Minister David Cameron invoking Article 50, unlikely given his vocal opposition to Brexit.

Wait... he hasn't resigned yet... shocking!

Offline Suppressed

Ah, but this was a popular vote, not by constituency.  It's possible that each MP could vote with the majority of his constituency and end up with REMAIN.  Though, admittedly,  it does seem like LEAVE is better distributed.

Interesting times.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:30:08 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mrclose

Wait... he hasn't resigned yet... shocking!

David Cameron resigns after EU referendum result

Here is the key quote from Cameron, where he announces his resignation.

I was absolutely clear [in the referendum] about my belief that Britain is stronger, safer and better off inside the European Union. And I made clear the referendum was about this and this alone, not the future of any single politician, including myself.

But the British people have made a very clear decision to take a different path and as such I think the country requires fresh leadership to take it in this direction.

I will do everthing I can as prime minister to steady the ship over the coming weeks and months. But I do not think it would be right for me to try to be the captain that steers our country to its next destination.

This is not a decision I have taken lightly. But I do believe it’s in the national interest to have a period of stability and then the new leadership required.

There is no need for a precise timetable today. But in my view we should aim to have a new prime minister in place by the start of the Conservative party conference in October.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-result-live-counting-leave-remain-brain-in-europe
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's non binding in the sense that the US Primaries are none binding (or the popular vote compared to the EC vote).

It'll happen.

Cameron gets respect from me for standing down. Not that I'm overly pleased with his likely replacement.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink