Author Topic: OCCUPY CONGRESS: Speaker Ryan adjourns House as Dems continue sit-in protest to infringe on our individual rights  (Read 356 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HOTAIR.COM

URL: http://hotair.com/archives/2016/06/23/occupy-congress-speaker-ryan-adjorns-house-as-dems-continue-sit-in-demonstration-to-infringe-on-individual-rights/

by: LARRY O'CONNOR

Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) has come full circle in his astounding, American life. He came to prominence during the struggles of the 1960s as an original member of the “Big Six” civil rights leaders who risked their lives for the rights of black Americans to vote and exercise other basic rights guaranteed by the US Constitution. And last night, he led a sit-in on the floor of the US House of Representatives for the sole purpose of curtailing those same constitutionally-protected rights.

Here’s your latest update on the “Occupy Congress” efforts led by aging Baby Boomers trying to re-live their hippie days on your dime and on your time.

Retweet if you agree → The sit-in by House Democrats is nothing more than a publicity stunt. #StopTheStunthttps://t.co/YGgl2yLHyB

— Paul Ryan (@SpeakerRyan) June 22, 2016

As of 5:55 AM the Democrats continued their demonstrations and speeches using smartphones hooked in to the Periscope app on Twitter. C-Span chose to broadcast the Periscope stream since the official cameras for the House had been shut-down by the GOP leadership when the House adjourned earlier in the morning.

Around 3:30 AM, Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD) held a press conference for reporters and Roll Call reported that some members of the House were curled up and sleeping in their seats:

Democrats acknowledged their efforts did not result in a vote on any gun bills but said their efforts helped elevate their cause. Hoyer said he did not have further discussions with the speaker or Sergeant at Arms about House rules on the floor and what that would mean in the future

Hoyer said there is a whip meeting on Thursday at 10 a.m. where they may discuss the next steps.

Some members were seen in their seats curled up in blankets and nodding off around 4:15 a.m.

Joined @ChrisLHayes to discuss House Dems #SitIn to demand vote to address gun violence https://t.co/OWkhrrGBL6 #NoBillNoBreak #HoldTheFloor

— Steny Hoyer (@WhipHoyer) June 23, 2016

The House formally adjourned at 3:30 AM as Speaker Ryan attempted to speak reason to the Dems:

“The chair appreciates that members will differ on matters of policy and will seek to express those differences. But the chair would hope that the business of the House could be conducted in a fashion that respects positively on the dignity and decorum of this institution.”

Isn’t that precious? He thinks he can appeal to their sense of decorum.

CLICK  ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST OF THE STORY...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Just close the doors and leave them there to stew for a while.

Considering its performance over the last decade, what do we even need a Congress in session for, anyway?

(that's posed as a completely serious question)

Offline SirLinksALot

Considering its performance over the last decade, what do we even need a Congress in session for, anyway?

(that's posed as a completely serious question)

I don't know about others, but every time Congress is in session, I feel nervous. I cannot keep but ask myself, what new laws are they going to pass to make certain things illegal or force us to live a certain pre-approved lifestyle  this time?

Offline rodamala

Nancy Pelosi was unable to comment.

Offline livius

I don't know about others, but every time Congress is in session, I feel nervous. I cannot keep but ask myself, what new laws are they going to pass to make certain things illegal or force us to live a certain pre-approved lifestyle  this time?

Well, without congress, you'll be handing Bammy full dictatorial powers - then you're really going to see your rights vanish.

Offline livius

Actually, the sight of those plump, elderly congress critters sitting on the floor and thinking they were somehow cool has got to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time!