Author Topic: Oregon calls for indefinite moratorium on oil trains through the state  (Read 1524 times)

Offline thackney

Oregon calls for indefinite moratorium on oil trains through the state
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/06/oregon_calls_for_indefinite_mo.html?
June 16, 2016

Oregon has asked the Federal Railroad Administration to place an open-ended moratorium on oil trains traveling through the state, because preliminary findings of an investigation into the June 3 derailment in Mosier suggest inspectors might not be able to detect the problem that likely caused the crash.

Investigators identified a problem with the screws that fasten the rails to the railroad ties as the cause of the derailment. But in a June 8 letter to the Federal Railroad Administration, an Oregon Department of Transportation administrator said recent inspections failed to catch a number of broken screws along the track in Mosier. Hal Gard, the state's rail and public transit administrator, discussed the letter at a meeting of the Oregon Transportation Commission in Hood River on Thursday.

"Until the underlying cause of the bolt failures is understood and a means of detecting this defect is developed, we request a moratorium on running unit trains over sections of track that contain track fasteners of this material in the state of Oregon," Gard wrote.

It was unclear how much of Oregon's rail system uses these types of fasteners.

Tom Fuller, a spokesman for the department, said Oregon has yet to receive a response from federal railroad officials. The broken screws along the track in mosier were already rusted, suggesting they had been damaged for awhile. Fuller said Union Pacific, which voluntarily suspended oil-by-rail shipments through the gorge on a temporary basis, claims its inspectors can identify the broken fasteners. "However, it ran over those same tracks recently and didn't detect it," Fuller said. "If they claim they can detect these bolts, why didn't they?"

#energy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:05:02 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why just trains carrying oil if this is actually a safety issue?  Why not all trains?

Something tells me this is not about carrying oil at all....
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Why just trains carrying oil if this is actually a safety issue?  Why not all trains?

Something tells me this is not about carrying oil at all....

I think it is entirely about oil.  The train safety issue is just the excuse for Oregon's greenie-weenies to try to shut down oil.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think it is entirely about oil.  The train safety issue is just the excuse for Oregon's greenie-weenies to try to shut down oil.
Sure it is. No one blames the Charmin in the boxcar which derails, nor the load of lettuce in the reefer, nor the Toyotas on the car carrier....nope, it's the oil's fault.

I have one question for the folks in Oregon.

Do passenger trains use these tracks?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Don't like oil trains? Fine, build pipelines. Much safer and even less "greenhouse gasses" get released transporting oil.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Don't like oil trains? Fine, build pipelines. Much safer and even less "greenhouse gasses" get released transporting oil.
Well, for starters, building a pipeline to every place a train can go isn't always an economical solution. But there is a whole 'nother legion of ecowhackos busy opposing pipelines, too.

It isn't about the environment, it is about control.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

Well, for starters, building a pipeline to every place a train can go isn't always an economical solution. But there is a whole 'nother legion of ecowhackos busy opposing pipelines, too.

It isn't about the environment, it is about control.

This is Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged" exactly.  Trains were used in this book to demonstrate how government can intentionally kill individual thinking and progress.

I just bought the three part Atlas Shrugged film a few days ago and we watched it - exactly like this Oregon shut down.