Author Topic: Mission S-IC: NASA Saturn V moon rocket stage moving to Mississippi  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-061616a-saturn-rocket-stage-infinity.html

une 16, 2016

— More than four decades after its mission to the moon was canceled, NASA's last-assembled Saturn V rocket stage has been launched on a journey to become a roadside attraction.

"We are putting it on display along Interstate 10, one of the most heavily traveled interstates in the country. People will be able to see it as they enter Mississippi from Louisiana," said John Wilson, executive director of the Infinity Science Center in Pearlington, Mississippi.

Built to be the "business end" for the tallest, heaviest and most powerful booster ever launched, the massive Saturn V S-IC first stage was the last of its type made when it was completed in 1970. It was intended to lift off on the Apollo 19 lunar landing mission in 1973; instead, it was parked at the entrance to its assembly facility in 1978, where it has remained ever since — until today (June 16).

**SNIP**

Wow.  Just wow...

:beer:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Mission S-IC: NASA Saturn V moon rocket stage moving to Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 11:12:24 pm »
Those five F-1 engines burned RP-1 (highly purified kerosene) and liquid oxygen at the rate of 2 tons a second.  The five engines together produced 7.5 million pounds of thrust at full power. 

Ignition sequence start began at 8.9 seconds with liftoff occurring at 0.  It took the turbine powered pumps a couple of seconds to spool up to top speed, and when they did they delivered propellants to the injectors at around 10,000 PSI.  The first stage burned for just over 2 minutes, and put the rest of the vehicle above the thickest part of the atmosphere, doing Mach 10 or so at staging.  Once past "Max Q" the vehicle hit a bit over 4 Gs of acceleration right before Main Engine Cutoff.

The acoustic energy from all five first stage F-1 engines nearly destroyed the press building near the launch site at Cape Kennedy during the first un-manned full up launch of the vehicle for the Apollo 4 test mission.  There are plenty of F-1 engine test videos online, and on the ones with sound you can hear the turbopumps howl into life as the engines roar to life...

Still the biggest and most powerful rocket engine we ever built.  Consider that one entire SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket with 9 Merlin engines does not produce as much thrust as one F-1 engine produced, burning exactly the same fuel and oxidizer. 

There's a fellow how did some diving off the coast of Florida in the area where the Apollo Program Saturn V boosters all came down, and actually found the remains of the engines on the floor of the ocean...all torn up but still recognizable as F-1s.  As awesome as this booster is, it was used for just over 2 minutes, was discarded and allowed to follow a ballistic path to re-entry and splashdown. The tanks and lighter structures burned but the engines survived mostly intact.

American technology at its pinnacle...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:28:20 am »
Those five F-1 engines burned RP-1 (highly purified kerosene) and liquid oxygen at the rate of 2 tons a second.  The five engines together produced 7.5 million pounds of thrust at full power. 

Ignition sequence start began at 8.9 seconds with liftoff occurring at 0.  It took the turbine powered pumps a couple of seconds to spool up to top speed, and when they did they delivered propellants to the injectors at around 10,000 PSI.  The first stage burned for just over 2 minutes, and put the rest of the vehicle above the thickest part of the atmosphere, doing Mach 10 or so at staging.  Once past "Max Q" the vehicle hit a bit over 4 Gs of acceleration right before Main Engine Cutoff.

The acoustic energy from all five first stage F-1 engines nearly destroyed the press building near the launch site at Cape Kennedy during the first un-manned full up launch of the vehicle for the Apollo 4 test mission.  There are plenty of F-1 engine test videos online, and on the ones with sound you can hear the turbopumps howl into life as the engines roar to life...

Still the biggest and most powerful rocket engine we ever built.  Consider that one entire SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket with 9 Merlin engines does not produce as much thrust as one F-1 engine produced, burning exactly the same fuel and oxidizer. 

There's a fellow how did some diving off the coast of Florida in the area where the Apollo Program Saturn V boosters all came down, and actually found the remains of the engines on the floor of the ocean...all torn up but still recognizable as F-1s.  As awesome as this booster is, it was used for just over 2 minutes, was discarded and allowed to follow a ballistic path to re-entry and splashdown. The tanks and lighter structures burned but the engines survived mostly intact.

American technology at its pinnacle...

"But we should spend the money right here at home. We have plenty of problems that need to be solved right here on earth..."

Have we peed down that rathole long enough?

When I was an undergrad, I wanted to do (geological) fieldwork on Mars someday, and it looked then like we could have back then.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 04:42:58 pm »
Man I might have to take a ride down there just to see that sucker up close...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 05:35:38 pm »
Man I might have to take a ride down there just to see that sucker up close...
They used to have the whole Saturn 5 (or a full sized mockup) laid out at NASA at Houston at the visitor's center. I saw it in 1980.  It was huge, but likely not an operational vehicle. Still, very impressive.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:36:02 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 06:15:35 pm »

When I was an undergrad, I wanted to do (geological) fieldwork on Mars someday, and it looked then like we could have back then.

You mean back when when we had leaders who Made America First?

About 1972 I had a Geology class for a science elective. The professor had been in the Astronaut program, which would have taken scientists like him into space.

He was a fantastic science teacher. Took us to field sites, to see first hand. Also constructed models in the lab, to witness geologic processes.

I worked in the oil business for a reservoir engineer, and a geologist at that time. Both had MS degrees.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 06:49:13 pm »
You mean back when when we had leaders who Made America First?

About 1972 I had a Geology class for a science elective. The professor had been in the Astronaut program, which would have taken scientists like him into space.

He was a fantastic science teacher. Took us to field sites, to see first hand. Also constructed models in the lab, to witness geologic processes.

I worked in the oil business for a reservoir engineer, and a geologist at that time. Both had MS degrees.
I grew up in the tidewater of MD, so I had seen a lot of the basic sedimentological processes. In college I got to learn what they were called and find out some of the physics behind why they did what they did. Great stuff, when you spent your whole life around nearshore sedimentation. The weekends we didn't spend in the field on coursework, we spent doing something related, whether it was caving, climbing, or just out hunting 'goodies' (mostly fossils, but some minerals or rock specimens for the Department, too).

You could tell who would head for an office right away when they graduated, because they were the 'groaners' who whined at the idea of another field day. There were those of us who had a ready bag good to go and would leave at a moment's notice, whether to just go see, to collect, or to go climbing or caving. We got a reputation for blowing off frat parties and going caving instead ("You can't do that at night!" was the comment we howled at--"It's dark in there, anyway, who cares!" the retort.) and we had a 24 hour caving crew list of people who would be interested unless they absolutely had something else they HAD to do.  Those years were a lot of work but the more you saw, the more you learned, and it was great.

I have worked since 1979 (as a mudlogger first to get to know what was going on), and then as a consulting wellsite geologist, in ND, MT, WY, SD, UT, CO, and NV, mostly in the Williston Basin. I have had the opportunity to work in a few different regions, different reservoirs, and was in on directionally drilled wells early on and working horizontals as a consulting geologist in 1990. It has never been dull, so no regrets except that we could have been so much farther into space, and we would not have spent trillions of dollars subsidizing poverty instead of putting people to work and seriously reducing it.

Even worse, though, for a space age brat, was the idea that people stopped dreaming. Content to watch it on the big screen, they gave up the idea that they could be part of going from here to there, that essential need to see what is over the next hill that has driven human advancement for a very long time. Instead, people started 'exploring' their own constructs and lost their wonder for the universe.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 06:57:09 pm »
Even worse, though, for a space age brat, was the idea that people stopped dreaming.

That's what bothers me most between now and then. Trying to get young kids to have big dreams nowadays sometimes seems like a lost cause, but I keep at it anyway because I remember what it was like. Unfortunately, many today don't have that perspective because they never learned it while young and won't be able to pass it on...

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 07:40:31 pm »
What I find fascinating is the variety of early NASA technical videos available on the net.  Techs had 8mm movies of all kinds of different aspects of our rocket development, including movies taken inside the liquid hydrogen and kerosene fuel tanks during ascent to study what the liquids did.  It is amazing to watch now because I remember seeing this stuff as a kid and having no earthly idea how it worked.  Now that I do understand much of what's going on, its fascinating to watch those old vids.