Author Topic: George Will: Mitch Daniels Should Be President  (Read 359 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
George Will: Mitch Daniels Should Be President
« on: June 17, 2016, 01:49:19 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=734346

Newsmax
George Will: Mitch Daniels Should Be President
Friday, June 17, 2016 08:10 AM

By: Clyde Hughes

George Will says Mitch Daniels should be president of the United States. The Washington Post columnist believes the former Indiana government who currently leads Purdue University is "the president the nation needs."

Daniels, who worked in the George W. Bush administration as its director for the Office of Management and Budget, per his Purdue biography, was rumored as a presidential candidate in 2012 but never formally threw his hat in the ring. He served as Indiana's governor from 2005 to 2013 before he was tapped as president of Purdue.

In his column on Wednesday, Will pointed to Daniels words to Purdue's May graduates as a counterweight to President Barack Obama's message to Howard University students days before that the graduates had been "lucky" and "blessed."

"I hope you will tune out anyone who, from this day on, tries to tell you that your achievements are not your own," Will quoted Daniels tlling the students. "I'm not saying that luck never plays a part; of course it can. (But unless it is tragically bad luck) it almost never decides a life's outcome."

Will then went on to contrast Daniels with Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

"Daniels's words to the Class of 2016 clarify why the 2016 presidential campaign offers an echo, not a choice," Will said. "The presumptive Democratic nominee is a progressive committed to government ambitious enough to iron the wrinkles of luck out of life, and to distribute equity to life's victims, meaning to everyone."

"The presumptive Republican nominee is a world-class whiner (a victim of debate moderators who are meanies, and most recently of a 'rigged' judicial system) who is telling Americans that they are comprehensively victimized (by wily Chinese exporters, manufacturers making Oreo cookies abroad, freeloading allies, etc.). Purdue has the president the nation needs."

According to the Lafayette Journal & Courier, Will said in December before an appearance at the university that the country would have been better off his Daniels would have run in 2012.

"I think if he had run, he would have won," Will told the newspaper. "And I think there would be a calm in the country. Mitch Daniels is a grown-up. He's vastly familiar with the federal machinery, having been a chief budgeteer. He knows where the waste is. He knows where the institutional lines should be drawn in this country. He wouldn't be given to executive overreach of the sort we’re seeing these days. And he would just radiate a sense of adult supervision."

The Purdue Exponent, the university's student newspaper, said Daniels' current contract as president runs through 2020. The Journal & Courier stated that the contract could pay him a total of $1 million in retention bonuses over that period.

"Through a university spokeswoman, Daniels said reaction (to running for president) 'falls somewhere along the lines of half Gen. Sherman and half Sgt. Schultz on the topic,'" Dave Bangert, of the Journal & Courier wrote. "In other words, to quote Civil War Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman: 'I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected.' And to quote Sgt. Schultz from sit-com 'Hogan's Heroes:' 'I know nothing.'"

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline r9etb

Re: George Will: Mitch Daniels Should Be President
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 01:54:16 pm »
I agree with Mr. Will on this.... Daniels is a calm, capable, and responsible man.

Which, unfortunately, seems to disqualify him from consideration.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 02:05:13 pm »
If we are to steal the nomination from Trump, we will need a compromise candidate,  and I doubt that can be any of Trump's primary opponents.   I've been leaning toward a retired general, a la Eisenhower,  but Mitch Daniels may be an even better choice.   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 02:21:39 pm »
...  but Mitch Daniels may be an even better choice.

I've been thinking along the same lines since the idea of a contested convention was first raised. 

Daniels' main disadvantage is that he has not been "vetted" by the party through the primary process nor, by extension, by the media.  In addition, he's averse to the inevitable invasion on his personal life that a presidential run would entail (that was apparently what kept him from running last time).

He offers some very great advantages,  though.  Very well-spoken and extremely smart, but very understated; likeable on sight; can work with anybody, but definitely not a squish; a successful two-term governor.  Not too exciting ... but I think that's a big advantage this year.

He would be both the anti-Trump and the anti-Clinton.

But I doubt it comes to pass.

Offline thatcher

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 02:53:38 pm »
Am a Cruz supporter but could get behind "the Blade" in a heartbeat.  Any conservative that can gain respect from Purdue academe deserves kudos.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 03:17:00 pm »
Daniels would have been a great candidate in 2012, but chose not to enter the race.  Same thing this time around.  I'd love for him to be the nominee, but it isn't going to happen.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 04:47:55 pm »
Daniels would have been a great candidate in 2012, but chose not to enter the race.  Same thing this time around.  I'd love for him to be the nominee, but it isn't going to happen.

I'm afraid you are right.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”