Author Topic: You Will Pay for "Free" College  (Read 318 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
You Will Pay for "Free" College
« on: June 17, 2016, 11:43:56 am »
You Will Pay for "Free" College

https://home.isi.org/you-will-pay-free-college?utm_source=ISI+Website+Subscribers&utm_campaign=05ee327982-IR+Weekly_June+9&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3ab42370fb-05ee327982-93340273

Politicians like to pander to interest groups by promising them supposedly free things: free medical care, free food, free cell phones, and so on. And since millions of your fellow young Americans go to college, naturally you hear politicians promising free higher education.

“Elect me,” say such politicians, “and I will relieve you of the horrible and unfair burden of paying for your education.” Lately they’ve tried to disguise their pandering by claiming that they just want to “strengthen the economy,” since young people with college debts aren’t able to buy houses, cars, or other big-ticket items.

“So” (such politicians continue) “by relieving students of having to pay, we will at the same time stimulate the economy while enabling many more young Americans to have ‘access’ to college, which will mean a better educated and more productive labor force.” What’s not to like?

Two things, actually.

exc with links at source

Complement with John Zmirak on the religious believer's campus survival guide, Jane Clark Scharl on the "wrong side of history" myth, and Russell Kirk on the purpose of the liberal arts.   

Offline LMAO

Re: You Will Pay for "Free" College
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 12:05:30 pm »
Beware of politicians promising " free" anything

You will find out how expensive "free" is
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy