Author Topic: Democrat holds up Senate floor over gun control  (Read 393 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Democrat holds up Senate floor over gun control
« on: June 15, 2016, 06:42:52 pm »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/democrat-holds-up-senate-floor-over-gun-control/ar-AAh5oyc?ocid=spartanntp

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) has taken over the Senate floor and is refusing to allow the chamber to go into other business until his colleagues do something about gun control.

"I'm prepared to stand on this floor and talk about the need for this body to come together on keeping terrorists away from getting guns ... for, frankly, as long as I can, because I know that we can come together on this issue," said Murphy, who has made a name for himself in the Senate for repeated calls to write stronger gun control laws.

Murphy didn't say how long he plans to talk on the Senate floor. The Senate is considering the Commerce, Justice and Science spending bill.

Murphy did allow his home-state colleague, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), to interrupt him so that Blumenthal could talk about gun control. Sens. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), the Senate's No. 2 Democrat, also spoke with Murphy on the floor.

Under the chamber's rules, Murphy can allow other senators to speak without losing control of the floor.

Continued...

Good news, Trump won't have to cave on gun control, the Rs in office will do it for him.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Democrat holds up Senate floor over gun control
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:07:49 pm »
Good news, Trump won't have to cave on gun control, the Rs in office will do it for him.

What evidence do you have of that?  The last time a showdown took place over guns, in 2013, the Rs defeated closure in a Democrat Senate.

I think you're too cynical.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 07:10:30 pm »
What evidence do you have of that?  The last time a showdown took place over guns, in 2013, the Rs defeated closure in a Democrat Senate.

I think you're too cynical.

Yes, I was being sarcastic/cynical.  Factor in Mitch's statement of being "open", I can't say I would be surprised, especially given the Rs willingness to roll over on just about everything lately.

Offline bob434

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:12:42 pm »
[[Under the chamber's rules, Murphy can allow other senators to speak without losing control of the floor. ]]

Well then that rule needs to change because IF you are going to pull off a filibuster, then by rights it is meant to interrupt EVERYONE until either the issue is solved, or the person filibustering tires and quits- IF the person filibustering hasn't got the nerve to stop ALL business from occurring during a filibuster, then they have no business filibustering in the first place- the whole point of a filibuster is to interrupt ALL business in an effort to draw attention to an issue-

IF you allow others to conduct business- it's no longer a filibuster, but a mildly irritating interruption

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 12:43:40 am »
I have one question that I would love to see any reporter ask Hitlery, Zero, or any Dimocrap Senator and that is:

What would you be doing or saying today if the Orlando islamist had used a machete or a bomb?
Principles matter. Words matter.