Author Topic: Trump's VP Choices: Newt Gingrich, Jeff Sessions, Condi Rice?  (Read 3287 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=733432

Newsmax
Trump's VP Choices: Newt Gingrich, Jeff Sessions, Condi Rice?
Saturday, June 11, 2016 07:12 PM

By: Todd Beamon

Donald Trump asked about 5,000 supporters at a rally in Florida on Saturday who his vice presidential pick should be — and they shouted out a bevy of names.

However, the presumptive nominee repeated only three from the stage in Tampa, Fox News reports: Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

The three names have surfaced as possible running mates for Trump, but a close confidante told Newsmax last month that Gingrich, the former Georgia senator, was at the top of the list.

Trump has long said that he was seeking a running mate with deep experience within Washington who could help him "with legislation, getting things through."

Gingrich, 72, told Bill O'Reilly on Fox News last month that "you have to look at it very seriously, of course" regarding the possibility of joining Trump on the Republican ticket.

"I regard Donald as an old friend," said Gingrich, who was House speaker from 1995 to 1999.

He said that he and his wife, Callista, "have regularly talked with him for the last five or six years during the campaign occasionally. I do more of it by email than I do phone.

"We have communicated on a routine basis with the campaign and with Trump and his family."

Gingrich has said recently that Trump should stop his attacks on the judge in his Trump University civil lawsuit. Though that led to speculation that Gingrich's name could be taken off Trump's short list, Trump actually has heeded advice to stop talking about the judge.

Gingrich himself also said that Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker would also make a good running mate because he is "a very stable guy."

Corker, 63, who is chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and Trump met last month at Trump Tower in Manhattan.

But Corker played down the vice presidential possibility after the session.

"I have no reason whatsoever to think that I am being considered,” the senator told reporters afterward. "This was a meeting between two people who didn't know each other except over phone calls, getting to know one another.”

Sessions, 69, the first sitting senator to endorse Trump, ruled out the possibility earlier this month. The billionaire named Sessions his national security adviser in March.

"Don't bet any money on me," he told reporters outside the Senate chamber. "I think that would not happen.

"I have not talked with him about it."

Sessions sits on three key Senate committees — armed services, budget and judiciary — and chairs the Immigration and the National Interest Subcommittee.

As for Rice, 61, who served under President George W. Bush, she has long ruled out seeking elective office.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Trump's VP Choices: Newt Gingrich, Jeff Sessions, Condi Rice?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:52:07 pm »
I don't think it really makes a difference who Trump chooses.  Trump is Trump and won't get the support of principled constitutional conservatives.  And, it is not just because of Trump.  It is the GOP!  The GOP has sold its sole to the devil (leftist policies, views and voting records of the majority of GOP congress critters) that has left them holding a bag o' pooh.  So, the GOP and Trump can choose whomever their hart wants.  It won't change my mind.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 02:03:04 pm »
I don't think it really makes a difference who Trump chooses.  Trump is Trump and won't get the support of principled constitutional conservatives.  And, it is not just because of Trump.  It is the GOP!  The GOP has sold its sole to the devil (leftist policies, views and voting records of the majority of GOP congress critters) that has left them holding a bag o' pooh.  So, the GOP and Trump can choose whomever their hart wants.  It won't change my mind.

I self-describe as a principled constitutional conservative and I support Donald Trump. (Well, let's just see how long the forum rules prohibiting personal attacks last...3, 2, 1)

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 02:07:30 pm »
I self-describe as a principled constitutional conservative and I support Donald Trump. (Well, let's just see how long the forum rules prohibiting personal attacks last...3, 2, 1)
So much for the definition of "principled", much less a constitutional conservative.  Trump is none of the above and quite the opposite.

See...nothing personal!  :patriot:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 02:09:21 pm »

A personal reassessment may be in order.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 02:11:47 pm by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 02:12:37 pm »
So much for the definition of "principled", much less a constitutional conservative.  Trump is none of the above and quite the opposite.

See...nothing personal!  :patriot:

Subtle, but still a personal dig. Anyway, I'll overlook it since you're new here and still smarting after your having suffered such a devastating loss in the presidential primary.  :beer: :patriot:

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 02:55:13 pm »
Subtle, but still a personal dig. Anyway, I'll overlook it since you're new here and still smarting after your having suffered such a devastating loss in the presidential primary.  :beer: :patriot:
Well...I may loose again in the general but not as much as this country will loose if one of the two major party losers get elected.  At least I have MY principles.  Who knows, it's a very good probability that neither could get 270 Electoral votes and the House will have to select our next POTUS.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 12:19:37 am »
Well...I may loose again in the general but not as much as this country will loose if one of the two major party losers get elected.  At least I have MY principles.  Who knows, it's a very good probability that neither could get 270 Electoral votes and the House will have to select our next POTUS.

I was also seeing a glimmer of hope with both being denied the majority.  However, pursuant to the Twelfth Amendment, only the top three Electoral College vote getters could be considered in the House Vote. Which primarily still gives us either Trump or Clinton.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 01:31:34 am »
I was also seeing a glimmer of hope with both being denied the majority.  However, pursuant to the Twelfth Amendment, only the top three Electoral College vote getters could be considered in the House Vote. Which primarily still gives us either Trump or Clinton.
Time to get behind a single alternative as the #3 vote getter.  My vote goes to Darrell Castell, Constitution Party.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 01:37:13 am »
Condi.

Will.

Not.

Run.

Besides, this is from NewsMax.  As much an authority as DEBKA on any subject...

:smokin:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:39:54 am by Chieftain »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 02:16:38 am »
Time to get behind a single alternative as the #3 vote getter.  My vote goes to Darrell Castell, Constitution Party.

Unfortunately, at this time the Constitution Party (whom I have supported in the past) doesn't appear that they are going to make it on the ballot in all 50 states.  According to their website, at this time they are only on the ballot in 18 states.  In 8 states they don't even have the ballot process started. The qualifications are more difficult for a 3rd party candidate and are very costly; we are talking millions of dollars. 

http://www.constitutionparty.com/get-involved/election-central/ballot-access/

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 02:50:40 am »
Gingrich was unwilling to fall on the sword over Judge Curiel so there is no loyalty there.  Sessions does nothing for Trump except solidify the anti-illegal vote...so nothing.  Condi wouldn't take the spot.

geronl

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 02:55:33 am »
It doesn't matter who his running mate is, I'm never voting for him

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 03:13:37 am »
I listened to both Sen. Session and Speaker Gingrich this evening on Steven Bannon, Breitbart radio, XM Sirius.

Those two gentlemen have so much common sense, direct no nonsense manner of speaking. I hope they both serve in a Trump administration.

Romney, Ryan are lightweights compared to them.

This may turn out to be a "Silent Majority" and "National Security" election.

It is so easy to tie Hillary to Obama's many failures in that regard.

Gingrich said "Make America Safe Again"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 03:21:20 am »
I listened to both Sen. Session and Speaker Gingrich this evening on Steven Bannon, Breitbart radio, XM Sirius.

Those two gentlemen have so much common sense, direct no nonsense manner of speaking. I hope they both serve in a Trump administration.

Romney, Ryan are lightweights compared to them.

This may turn out to be a "Silent Majority" and "National Security" election.

It is so easy to tie Hillary to Obama's many failures in that regard.

Gingrich said "Make America Safe Again"

You don't know much about Sessions. He has a Thomas Figures problem and a curious affinity for Jimmy Faulkner that hasn't been explored, but would be devastating if done.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:23:44 am by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 03:30:16 am »
You don't know much about Sessions. He has a Thomas Figures problem and a curious affinity for Jimmy Faulkner that hasn't been explored, but would be devastating if done.

I admit that I have no idea what a that means.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 03:42:09 am »
You don't know much about Sessions. He has a Thomas Figures problem
Oh boy.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 03:45:37 am »

The problem is that there is no arbiter or gatekeeper for those definitions.  People call themselves "conservatives" all the time in response to surveys.  But how accurate is that, really?  The unpleasant truth is that each of us has our own good-faith definition of what constitutes a "conservative" or "constitutional conservative" and those definitions rarely match up.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 03:46:45 am »
Gingrich was unwilling to fall on the sword over Judge Curiel so there is no loyalty there. 

No politician has an obligation to fall on his sword to defend another, period.  Each is responsible for whatever blowback their own statements generate.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:47:13 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 06:14:24 am »
No politician has an obligation to fall on his sword to defend another, period.  Each is responsible for whatever blowback their own statements generate.
True that Gingrich is under no obligation to lie and kiss Trump's ass, however a Vice President must be able to defend the administration regardless of personal opinion or ambition.  Loyalty is an expected job requirement.

and just as important, Trump is going to pick the VP...so if Gingrich really wanted the job he should have said the people defending judge Curiel were the real racists or something just as stupid to show solidarity with Trump.  Trump ain't going to pick him now.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 12:11:53 pm »
True that Gingrich is under no obligation to lie and kiss Trump's ass, however a Vice President must be able to defend the administration regardless of personal opinion or ambition.  Loyalty is an expected job requirement.

But Gingrich isn't Trump's VP yet.  Falling on your sword for someone for whom you don't even work is just being a brown-noser.

and just as important, Trump is going to pick the VP...so if Gingrich really wanted the job he should have said the people defending judge Curiel were the real racists or something just as stupid to show solidarity with Trump.  Trump ain't going to pick him now.

Okay, then Gingrich is off his list.  That's what...32 down, 2 to go?  And one of those is emphatic about not wanting the job.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:12:58 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 04:25:52 pm »
Okay, then Gingrich is off his list.  That's what...32 down, 2 to go?  And one of those is emphatic about not wanting the job.
IMO Trump has pissed off all the good candidates that would help the ticket under conventional wisdom, but conventional wisdom has not served me well through the entire primary process.  It will be interesting to find out who Trump picks.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 04:38:25 pm »

Ok.  Had to 'google' to see who the heck Thomas Figures was and trying to figure out the comment about Faulkner.

http://www.mainjustice.com/2009/06/06/complicated-politics-elevate-obscure-hill-staffer-to-frontrunner-for-alabama-southern-district/

Sessions has long been hailed as one of the most conservative Senators we have when it comes to illegal immigration, but  I question Sessions motives in backing Trump as he vehemently defended Cruz with his statements and voting record surrounding illegal immigration.   I'm not so sure he would help Trump pull in the additional votes he's going to need, primarily from women and Hispanics.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:38:43 pm by libertybele »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 05:45:12 pm »
Looks like Trump is striking out any way you look at it.  Sinking in the polls, can't find a VP that will help him, disliked by millions, etc.

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 07:20:31 pm »
I self-describe as a principled constitutional conservative and I support Donald Trump.

I self-describe as a Muslim, and I eat pork.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!