Author Topic: The Great French Mistake...and where we are now with NeverTrump  (Read 697 times)

Offline Mesaclone

http://townhall.com/columnists/deroymurdock/2016/06/09/for-never-trump-what-follows-the-french-mistake-n2175981

Excerpt:

Whoever General Kristol and his Never Trump troops may recruit to their cause simply will yank votes from Trump’s Right flank, but not enough actually to win the White House. Instead, the Right will be rent in twain. And a three-way split could be possible, with former GOP governors Gary Johnson of New Mexico and William Weld of Massachusetts leading the Libertarian ticket. The result of a divided Right is obvious: President Hillary Rodham Clinton.

And, if the Duchess of Chappaqua gets promoted to her life-long dream job, who’s to say that the Democrats would not re-take the Senate and perhaps regain the House next November?

What will Bill Kristol and the Never Trump crowd say if a President Hillary Rodham Clinton names Obama or Senator Elizabeth Warren (D – Massachusetts) to fill the late Antonin Scalia’s Supreme Court seat — for life?

What will they say if a President Hillary Rodham Clinton, a 5-4 Left-Right Supreme Court, and perhaps a Democratic Congress control the executive, judicial, and legislative branches of the federal government — angrier and more liberal than ever?

How, precisely, will this advance conservatism?

Answer is, it won't...and if you are working for it to happen you are actively writing the epitaph of the conservative movement for a generation. Smart.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline WAC

Re: The Great French Mistake...and where we are now with NeverTrump
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:33:48 pm »
Excerpt from article:

....Whoever General Kristol and his Never Trump troops may recruit to their cause simply will yank votes from Trump’s Right flank, but not enough actually to win the White House........ The result of a divided Right is obvious: President Hillary Rodham Clinton.".....

Well I'll disagree....if Hillary wins this it will be Trumps failure entirely to do 'HIS WORK',... not the voters. ..and not a 3rd party.

If the Republicans remain divided then he's failed to do 'HIS JOB' as  leader of the Republican Party and thus far he's showing little if any effort to do so, in fact he's been doing just the opposite by creating and enlarging those divisions....and this by choice.

So Trump supporters have to do more than play guilt trips on people, which is what the article is doing...... they need to influence the man they're supporting rather than attack the voters.

You cannot put a gun to peoples heads and expect them to not fight you back.....
 ***suicide***

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:39:18 pm »
Trump crossed a line in the primaries.

Worked like a charm, but there are good reasons one should never cross that line.

Now he has to go to Cruz (and the others, for that matter) hat in hand. He has to if he wants to win - there is no other way to get his voters.

He can't beat their votes out of them.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 09:42:25 pm »
With that title, you have to expect this to appear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o

Sooooo I guess Dom DeLouise and the dancers are the GOPe, and the cowboys from the Blazing Saddles set are the Trump Supporters? OK then.   :pondering:
Let it burn.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 09:53:38 pm »
With that title, you have to expect this to appear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o

Sooooo I guess Dom DeLouise and the dancers are the GOPe, and the cowboys from the Blazing Saddles set are the Trump Supporters? OK then.   :pondering:

Actually, 86% of Republicans who ARE the Trump supporters would be cowboys...the dancer are the Dems with Dom Deluise playing the role of Hillary Clinton. The NeverTrumps are the political staff of the Governor...led by Hedley Lamar (played by Ted Cruz of course) himself.

Best movie ever, FYI.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 09:55:57 pm »
Actually, 86% of Republicans who ARE the Trump supporters would be cowboys...the dancer are the Dems with Dom Deluise playing the role of Hillary Clinton. The NeverTrumps are the political staff of the Governor...led by Hedley Lamar (played by Ted Cruz of course) himself.

You have your interpretation, I have mine.

Yours is wrong.   :tongue2:
Let it burn.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 10:34:30 pm »
Whoever General Kristol and his Never Trump troops may recruit to their cause simply will yank votes from Trump’s Right flank, but not enough actually to win the White House. Instead, the Right will be rent in twain. And a three-way split could be possible, with former GOP governors Gary Johnson of New Mexico and William Weld of Massachusetts leading the Libertarian ticket. The result of a divided Right is obvious: President Hillary Rodham Clinton.

We don't care anymore.   This intimidation and scare tactic is moot.  We know what is coming, we are preparing for it.

The GOP Leadership from the outset when Jeb first said he will win without the base - followed by Trump and his surrogates that all said - THEY DID NOT WANT NOR NEED PRINCIPLED CONSERVATIVE VOTES TO WIN AGAINST HILLARY, as they stuck their middle fingers in our faces.

The GOP and Trump got EXACTLY what they said they wanted, and the split is permanent and growing as the Trump Faithful move us from simply voting third party in November to ardent activism against Trump's candidacy itself.

The Purge the Ruling Class GOP wanted against Conservatives in their party, and the stealth Democrat Trojan Horse that is Trump - have succeeded in what they wanted done in terms of rendering Principled Conservatism irrelevant.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 11:52:58 pm »
We don't care anymore.   This intimidation and scare tactic is moot.  We know what is coming, we are preparing for it.

The GOP Leadership from the outset when Jeb first said he will win without the base - followed by Trump and his surrogates that all said - THEY DID NOT WANT NOR NEED PRINCIPLED CONSERVATIVE VOTES TO WIN AGAINST HILLARY, as they stuck their middle fingers in our faces.

The GOP and Trump got EXACTLY what they said they wanted, and the split is permanent and growing as the Trump Faithful move us from simply voting third party in November to ardent activism against Trump's candidacy itself.

The Purge the Ruling Class GOP wanted against Conservatives in their party, and the stealth Democrat Trojan Horse that is Trump - have succeeded in what they wanted done in terms of rendering Principled Conservatism irrelevant.

Quit playing the victim. Nobody has tried to intimidate anyone. And for the record, the Trump people ARE principled conservatives, so your comment about such makes no sense. And the NeverTrump thing now IS the ruling class in action...along with a few radical ex Cruz'rs it uses to bolster itself...so you seem to be in the midst of some sort of identity crisis. As for relevance, you are right that putting forward extreme right candidates like Cruz would lead to irrelevance...the man would be crushed by any Dem because he is so far right no independents are going to cross over. And without winning the Independents, there is no winning.

You folks are trying to wrap yourselves in some sort of noble victimhood, but the reality is your being selfish and immature. Your playing the "everyone in the party must support my guy or I quit" game and that is a guarantee of defeat for any party or ideology. Some of you will never come around, fading into the extreme right fringe with the John Birch society types, the Aryan crazies and the Westboro church style cults...but I still hold out hope that the principled among you will look to common sense and reason and choose the GOP over the Dems. Call me an optimist.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:55:48 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 12:07:57 am »
Quit playing the victim. Nobody has tried to intimidate anyone. And for the record, the Trump people ARE principled conservatives, so your comment about such makes no sense. And the NeverTrump thing now IS the ruling class in action...along with a few radical ex Cruz'rs it uses to bolster itself...so you seem to be in the midst of some sort of identity crisis. As for relevance, you are right that putting forward extreme right candidates like Cruz would lead to irrelevance...the man would be crushed by any Dem because he is so far right no independents are going to cross over. And without winning the Independents, there is no winning.

You folks are trying to wrap yourselves in some sort of noble victimhood, but the reality is your being selfish and immature. Your playing the "everyone in the party must support my guy or I quit" game and that is a guarantee of defeat for any party or ideology. Some of you will never come around, fading into the extreme right fringe with the John Birch society types, the Aryan crazies and the Westboro church style cults...but I still hold out hope that the principled among you will look to common sense and reason and choose the GOP over the Dems. Call me an optimist.

I'm getting whiplash from the Trumpkins. One day they tell us #NeverTrump is insignificant and they don't need us, the next day they're  whining that  we're so powerful that we could hand the election to Hillary.

Which is it?

Hey. Look over your shoulder.  That alt-right set of mongrels behind you, supporting Trump, include the John Birch Society, the Aryan crazies and the Jew and gay haters.  They're not wild about blacks, and Messicans, and Muslims. 

Your contemptuous attitude toward those who are not supporting your boy does nothing but solidify our opposition to him.  So you should stop. 

Oh, it's "you're."
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 12:52:57 am »
Quit playing the victim. Nobody has tried to intimidate anyone.

Oh really?  "If you don"t vote for Trump you are voting for Hillary and will be regarded as a traitor to the country" - That's not an intimidation tactic eh?

Should we consider it a direct threat then?

And for the record, the Trump people ARE principled conservatives

Right.  Because "Principled Conservatives" support a guy who funded, endorsed and voted for a known Communist for NYC mayor just 3 years ago, and whom just 3 weeks ago praised Bernie Sanders' Marxist positions on Trade and says he agrees with government prohibiting businesses from operating overseas.  Those kinds of "Principled Conservatives"  Right?

I know a few "Principled Christians" who think Homosexual Marriage is a great thing and that Muslims and Christians worship the same god too.  I think that equates about the same level of confidence I have in whom you say are 'principled'.

As for relevance, you are right that putting forward extreme right candidates like Cruz would lead to irrelevance...the man would be crushed by any Dem because he is so far right no independents are going to cross over. And without winning the Independents, there is no winning.

That's hilarious coming from a blind guide for a Liberal Democrat running as a Republican who is trailing Hillary IN KANSAS.  KANSAS.  With 21% so disgusted with both Statists running for the throne that they do not know who or if either one of them is getting their vote.  So much for your precious "Independents"  Trump 'aint getting them.

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/capitol-report/2016/jun/10/poll-shows-clinton-leading-in-kansas-bro/

Your boy will suffer the greatest loss in modern political history if this election was legit, and they may make it look that way just for the sake of crowning The Mao Pantsuit to continue the velvet coup.

You folks are trying to wrap yourselves in some sort of noble victimhood, but the reality is your being selfish and immature.

To whom???? YOU????   The country?  That's about as stupid as insisting that the refusal to marry homos in a Christian church is selfish and immature.

On top of that, YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR PRINCE REPEATEDLY TOLD US THAT YOU DID NOT WANT OUR VOTES, OR OUR SUPPORT.  YOU SAID YOU WILL WIN WITHOUT US.

You and your party and your nominee got exactly what you wanted and asked for. You didn't want or need support from us "Extreme Right Wing Conservatives".  You just said as much above.

You vote for who you like, but stop telling the rest of us what we should do with our votes which is an extension of our principles that you so despise.

Your playing the "everyone in the party must support my guy or I quit" game and that is a guarantee of defeat for any party or ideology.

GOOD. That's a fate you, your nominee and your party richly deserve.

I still hold out hope that the principled among you will look to common sense and reason and choose the GOP over the Dems.

Never again.  No difference between them whatsoever.  I'm done being a battered wife for the GOP.  Never again.

Go pander for votes from the Bernie Supporters.

They have the kind of "principles" you will be able to work with.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 01:32:13 am »
Oh really?  "If you don"t vote for Trump you are voting for Hillary and will be regarded as a traitor to the country" - That's not an intimidation tactic eh? No, its not. Its simply describing the situation accurately.

Should we consider it a direct threat then? You should consider an appeal to reason and common sense.

Right.  Because "Principled Conservatives" support a guy who funded, endorsed and voted for a known Communist for NYC mayor just 3 years ago, and whom just 3 weeks ago praised Bernie Sanders' Marxist positions on Trade and says he agrees with government prohibiting businesses from operating overseas.  Those kinds of "Principled Conservatives"  Right? You can cherry pick all day, but Trump's positions are almost universally conservative. His view on free trade is not to oppose the concept, it is to oppose the horrific nature of the trade deals we've made...we don't have "free trade" with China, its a one way street in which they restrict our access to markets while we open ours fully. Mr. Trump wants to fix that balance and ACTUALLY have REAL free trade.

I know a few "Principled Christians" who think Homosexual Marriage is a great thing and that Muslims and Christians worship the same god too.  I think that equates about the same level of confidence I have in whom you say are 'principled'. They sound like good decent folks, not sure why you are criticizing them.

That's hilarious coming from a blind guide for a Liberal Democrat running as a Republican who is trailing Hillary IN KANSAS.  KANSAS.  With 21% so disgusted with both Statists running for the throne that they do not know who or if either one of them is getting their vote.  So much for your precious "Independents"  Trump 'aint getting them. National polls are now almost universally within the margin of error, and Trump has moved into a tie in Pennsylvania...that is YYYuuuugggeee. And yes, he is winning nationally with Independents in virtually every single poll.

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/capitol-report/2016/jun/10/poll-shows-clinton-leading-in-kansas-bro/

Your boy will suffer the greatest loss in modern political history if this election was legit, and they may make it look that way just for the sake of crowning The Mao Pantsuit to continue the velvet coup. If he loses, it will be by a few percentage points...just about equal to the percentage of the populist that are conservative NeverTrumprs...so a close loss will be blamed on those who take that stand...justifiably.

To whom???? YOU????   The country?  That's about as stupid as insisting that the refusal to marry homos in a Christian church is selfish and immature. Not analogous at all, but there are a number of Christian churches that are marrying homosexuals...that's an issue between them, their pastor, and god. But heck, be the first to cast a stone at it.

On top of that, YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR PRINCE REPEATEDLY TOLD US THAT YOU DID NOT WANT OUR VOTES, OR OUR SUPPORT.  YOU SAID YOU WILL WIN WITHOUT US. Nope, we've all said some will never come back to reality so there's nothing to be done...but that 2-3% of the populace that are NeverTrumps very well could hand this election to Hillary Clinton...some want that to happen.

You and your party and your nominee got exactly what you wanted and asked for. You didn't want or need support from us "Extreme Right Wing Conservatives".  You just said as much above. Yes, our party chose the best conservative candidate with the best chance to beat Hillary Clinton...so in that sense you are right. But at the end of the day, all conservatives should be supporting the GOP candidate against a nut like Hillary...and those who don't bear the burden if there is a close defeat for the GOP.

You vote for who you like, but stop telling the rest of us what we should do with our votes which is an extension of our principles that you so despise. We will all vote for who we like. But if you are on a GOP site talking badly about the GOP nominee don't expect to do so without being called and reasoned with...Hillary has a site for you where you'll be left entirely alone...its her Hillary Republicans website. Go for it.

GOOD. That's a fate you, your nominee and your party richly deserve. The fate will be leveled on the nation, and when Hillary wins you should take responsibility for your role in facilitating Hillary's win.

Never again.  No difference between them whatsoever.  I'm done being a battered wife for the GOP.  Never again.Do what you will, just quit trying to shirk responsibility for the outcome. It will truly be the fruits of your efforts...and Hillary thanks you.

Go pander for votes from the Bernie Supporters. I'll gladly pander for votes to anyone with common sense and basic reasoning.

They have the kind of "principles" you will be able to work with. My principles are conservative government with a hint of libertarianist presonal freedom. What's yours?

Enjoy.