Author Topic: ‘The greatest palace that ever was’: Chinese archaeologists find evidence of the fabled imperial home of Kublai Khan’s Yuan dynasty  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Engraved-on-His-hands

‘The greatest palace that ever was’: Chinese archaeologists find evidence of the fabled imperial home of Kublai Khan’s Yuan dynasty

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/1969971/greatest-palace-ever-was-chinese-archaeologists-find-evidence

by Laura Zhou

For centuries the imperial palace of Kublai Khan’s Yuan dynasty was shrouded in mystery.

After the dynasty collapsed, there were no clues as to where it was and it lived on only in legend through writings such as those of 13th century Venetian merchant Marco Polo.

If Polo is to be believed, the walls of “the greatest palace that ever was” were covered with gold and silver and the main hall was so large that it could easily seat 6,000 people for dinner.

“The palace was made of cane supported by 200 silk cords, which could be taken to pieces and transported easily when the emperor moved,” he wrote in his travel journal.

It was a vision of grandeur but the palace disappeared, seemingly without trace.

(Read more at link)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
‘The greatest palace that ever was’: Chinese archaeologists find evidence of the fabled imperial home of Kublai Khan’s Yuan dynasty

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/1969971/greatest-palace-ever-was-chinese-archaeologists-find-evidence

If Polo is to be believed, the walls of “the greatest palace that ever was” were covered with gold and silver and the main hall was so large that it could easily seat 6,000 people for dinner.

That's a long way to pass the salt.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline WAC

I only recently began studying Mongolia and it's history and delightfully surprised as I waded into that period of time....never realized the enormity and scope of these dynasties nor the great impact on the world they have held. Who would have guessed simply watching a video of Putins trip to Mongolia would have enticed my interest as it did......rearkable people and interesting to say the least History.

......"From a historical perspective, it gives us evidence that the architectural history runs uninterrupted from the Yuan, to the Ming and Qing dynasties." .....