Author Topic: What happened when a Texas valedictorian revealed that she's an undocumented immigrant  (Read 2668 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: BUSINESS INSIDER

URL: http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-valedictorian-reveals-shes-an-undocumented-immigrant-2016-6

by: Story Hinckley, Christian Science Monitor

Seventeen-year-old Mayte Lara Ibarra graduated from Crockett High School in Austin, Texas, as valedictorian with a 4.5 GPA and a full ride the University of Texas.

After tweeting all of these accomplishments on Friday, the Texas teen received so many negative comments she eventually deleted her Twitter account, all because she included another personal fact: she is an undocumented immigrant.

Although she has a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) permit that provides a Social Security number and allows her to work and study in the United States for two years, she has received a flood of backlash and threats since her tweet Friday.

"The reason I posted that tweet was to show others that you can accomplish anything, regardless of the obstacles you have in front of you," Mayte tells the Austin American-Statesman . "It is a common trend on Twitter to highlight your success through a tweet like that, and I saw many other students from across the country doing the same and sharing the things they'd overcome, so I thought I'd share mine."

But Mayte has also received support from others who see her journey as inspiring:

Dear #MayteLara, i am beyond proud of you! Documented or Undocumented You worked hard!Valedictorian, 4.5 GPA and a Fullride! #YouEarnedIt

— VENi ViDi ViCi (@loveliimeliimo) June 8, 2016

We are a nation built from immigrants. I'm proud of you. Keep being a role model for your fellow Hispanics. I'm with you #MayteLara #latino

— Desmond Tudor (@desmond_tudor) June 9, 2016

I am of the opinion that any chance we get to embrace a proud, smart, independent, women we should do so!Someone document #MayteLara pronto!

— Mike strydom (@Coach_Strydom) June 9, 2016

Each year approximately 65,000 undocumented students graduate from US high schools - and this is completely legal. In the 1982 case Plyler v. Doe, the Supreme Court ruled in that all children in the US were guaranteed a public school education from kindergarden through 12th grade, regardless of immigration status.

But for most undocumented students, their education ends there. Undocumented students, including DACA students like Mayte, are ineligible for federal aid programs such as FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. And in all but 17 states undocumented students are ineligible for in-state tuition rates, even if they graduated from an in-state high school. Less than 100 private colleges offer financial aid for undocumented students.

But Texas is one of the 17 US states that enacted a law to permit certain undocumented high school graduates to pay in-state tuition. As valedictorian, Mayte was also eligible for scholarships under state law.

"In accordance with state law, Texas universities - including the University of Texas schools - have for decades granted two-semester tuition waivers to valedictorians of Texas public high schools, without regard to their residency status," UT spokesman Gary Susswein told the Statesman. "State law also does not distinguish between documented and undocumented graduates of Texas high schools in admissions and financial aid decisions."

The American Immigration Council estimates that only between five and 10 percent of undocumented high-school graduates go to college, often because they can't afford it or the schools will not allow them to enroll.

Many of Mayte's supporters are also in favor of the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act, a bill that "allows current, former, and future undocumented high-school graduates and GED recipients a pathway to U.S. citizenship through college or the armed services."

"One of the biggest hardships I've had to overcome was the stereotype of people like me," Mayte told The Statesman. "Many people think that people like me can't be successful. We have all the odds against us, and I think it's important to highlight the fact that anything is possible, regardless of your status. I've accomplished things that most people wouldn't think a person with my background could have, and I'm proud of that.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
SOURCE: BUSINESS INSIDER

URL: http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-valedictorian-reveals-shes-an-undocumented-immigrant-2016-6

by: Story Hinckley, Christian Science Monitor

Seventeen-year-old Mayte Lara Ibarra graduated from Crockett High School in Austin, Texas, as valedictorian with a 4.5 GPA and a full ride the University of Texas.

After tweeting all of these accomplishments on Friday, the Texas teen received so many negative comments she eventually deleted her Twitter account, all because she included another personal fact: she is an undocumented immigrant.

Although she has a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) permit that provides a Social Security number and allows her to work and study in the United States for two years, she has received a flood of backlash and threats since her tweet Friday.

"The reason I posted that tweet was to show others that you can accomplish anything, regardless of the obstacles you have in front of you," Mayte tells the Austin American-Statesman . "It is a common trend on Twitter to highlight your success through a tweet like that, and I saw many other students from across the country doing the same and sharing the things they'd overcome, so I thought I'd share mine."

But Mayte has also received support from others who see her journey as inspiring:

Each year approximately 65,000 undocumented students graduate from US high schools - and this is completely legal. In the 1982 case Plyler v. Doe, the Supreme Court ruled in that all children in the US were guaranteed a public school education from kindergarden through 12th grade, regardless of immigration status.

But for most undocumented students, their education ends there. Undocumented students, including DACA students like Mayte, are ineligible for federal aid programs such as FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. And in all but 17 states undocumented students are ineligible for in-state tuition rates, even if they graduated from an in-state high school. Less than 100 private colleges offer financial aid for undocumented students.

But Texas is one of the 17 US states that enacted a law to permit certain undocumented high school graduates to pay in-state tuition. As valedictorian, Mayte was also eligible for scholarships under state law.

"In accordance with state law, Texas universities - including the University of Texas schools - have for decades granted two-semester tuition waivers to valedictorians of Texas public high schools, without regard to their residency status," UT spokesman Gary Susswein told the Statesman. "State law also does not distinguish between documented and undocumented graduates of Texas high schools in admissions and financial aid decisions."

The American Immigration Council estimates that only between five and 10 percent of undocumented high-school graduates go to college, often because they can't afford it or the schools will not allow them to enroll.

Many of Mayte's supporters are also in favor of the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act, a bill that "allows current, former, and future undocumented high-school graduates and GED recipients a pathway to U.S. citizenship through college or the armed services."

"One of the biggest hardships I've had to overcome was the stereotype of people like me," Mayte told The Statesman. "Many people think that people like me can't be successful. We have all the odds against us, and I think it's important to highlight the fact that anything is possible, regardless of your status. I've accomplished things that most people wouldn't think a person with my background could have, and I'm proud of that.

Why hasn't the INS arrested her?

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
She rec'd a lot of the criticism because of the WAY she announced she was an illegal...

A snarky "Oh, and by the way, I'm undocumented." or some such, rubbing folks noses in it.

Screw her...she deserves all the blowback she's getting.

And just as a post script, think of the more than likely LEGAL citizen/resident Salutatorian who would have been in her spot who now doesn't get that UT scholarship. 

Another American screwed by illegals.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline sinkspur

She rec'd a lot of the criticism because of the WAY she announced she was an illegal...

A snarky "Oh, and by the way, I'm undocumented." or some such, rubbing folks noses in it.

Screw her...she deserves all the blowback she's getting.

And just as a post script, think of the more than likely LEGAL citizen/resident Salutatorian who would have been in her spot who now doesn't get that UT scholarship. 

Another American screwed by illegals.

It's posts like this that make me glad to be a Texan and see young people like this be able to achieve.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
It's posts like this that make me glad to be a Texan and see young people like this be able to achieve.
@sinkspur

So you're for illegals taking the place of American kids?

Well, maybe your perception is a tad flawed by the fact you or yours haven't been impacted by the illegals....would you be so gracious if your kid or grandkid was told; "Tough luck, the illegal goes before you"?

Unlike my kid...born on a USAF base, son of a USAF veteran, 3.5+ GPA, Eagle Scout, USAF JROTC is going to get screwed out of college because the illegals come first...yeah, too bad he won't be "able to achieve".

Sorry, no sale sink.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

• Technical

Great, but the law is the law and it should be enforced. No exceptions.

geronl

An illegal alien was given all of these opportunities and still put down this country. She deserves the derision.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm waiting for someone to ask her whose identification she was using when she registered for school, applied to college, applied for her driver's license, etc?  The crime doesn't stop with the crossing of the border- that's pretty minor in the big scheme of things. It is the crimes they have to commit to stay here that really are impact (document fraud, tax fraud, identity theft, etc).

• Technical
I'm waiting for someone to ask her whose identification she was using when she registered for school, applied to college, applied for her driver's license, etc?  The crime doesn't stop with the crossing of the border- that's pretty minor in the big scheme of things. It is the crimes they have to commit to stay here that really are impact (document fraud, tax fraud, identity theft, etc).

Is she still free? Why hasn't she been arrested yet?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Is she still free? Why hasn't she been arrested yet?

Or her parents. For all practical application, based on her age, it was her parents who committed the crimes I mentioned.

• Technical
Or her parents. For all practical application, based on her age, it was her parents who committed the crimes I mentioned.

Just read on another thread she bragged about having a SS number. That is illegal as far as I can tell. How did she get one?

Offline SuperSyn

• Me on Twitter
This just p$sses me off no end. For starters, she owes the American people $150,000 for her k-12 education. Then she boasts about flaunting our laws, and gets rewarded for it? And as others mentioned, is she driving? That would be illegal too. For all their bluster about immigration, where is Governor Abbott and his fellow GOP'ers from Texas? While Obama may prevent them from enforcing federal immigration law, she has broken many Texas laws. Silent consent for our laws being broken makes them as bad as the democrats. If the laws don't get enforced for everyone, then one might as well not enforce them.
The US constitution does not give rights, it limits government so we may freely exercise our rights.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Just read on another thread she bragged about having a SS number. That is illegal as far as I can tell. How did she get one?

You have no idea how easy it is to get one. Knew a Canadian on an expired visa that got one. Probably could have voted too.
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

You have no idea how easy it is to get one. Knew a Canadian on an expired visa that got one. Probably could have voted too.

Damn Canadians. Their evil oozes over American Like maple syrup.  I say It's time we put America back in North America!!!! :smokin:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

It's post like this that make me wonder about your cognitive abilities sometimes!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Great, but the law is the law and it should be enforced. No exceptions.

I don't know who else might remember the FACT but our former governor (Rick Perry) once called those of us who oppose in state tuition for illegals heartless! Lost my support that very instant!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
I don't know who else might remember the FACT but our former governor (Rick Perry) once called those of us who oppose in state tuition for illegals heartless! Lost my support that very instant!

I remember and agree 100%.

Offline SuperSyn

• Me on Twitter
I remember and agree 100%.

Me too. He was much of a fair-weather conservative.
The US constitution does not give rights, it limits government so we may freely exercise our rights.

Offline sinkspur

@sinkspur

So you're for illegals taking the place of American kids?

Well, maybe your perception is a tad flawed by the fact you or yours haven't been impacted by the illegals....would you be so gracious if your kid or grandkid was told; "Tough luck, the illegal goes before you"?

Unlike my kid...born on a USAF base, son of a USAF veteran, 3.5+ GPA, Eagle Scout, USAF JROTC is going to get screwed out of college because the illegals come first...yeah, too bad he won't be "able to achieve".

Sorry, no sale sink.

I would tell my kid. "You should have worked harder."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:44:54 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@SZonian
@AbaraXas
@SuperSyn
@Free Vulcan
@Bigun
Answers to your questions are in the article.......

"Although she has a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) permit that provides a Social Security number and allows her to work and study in the United States for two years, she has received a flood of backlash and threats since her tweet Friday.

In the 1982 case Plyler v. Doe, the Supreme Court ruled in that all children in the US were guaranteed a public school education from kindergarten through 12th grade, regardless of immigration status.

And in all but 17 states undocumented students are ineligible for in-state tuition rates, even if they graduated from an in-state high school. Less than 100 private colleges offer financial aid for undocumented students.

But Texas is one of the 17 US states that enacted a law to permit certain undocumented high school graduates to pay in-state tuition. As valedictorian, Mayte was also eligible for scholarships under state law."

@sinkspur  Agreed!

Do I agree with the State and National laws as they now stand NO!!

Offline MajorClay

Great post!!!!

:amen: