Author Topic: Carson says Trump knows judge attack was wrong  (Read 1419 times)

Offline sinkspur

Carson says Trump knows judge attack was wrong
« on: June 10, 2016, 01:02:39 pm »
The rival-turned-fixer urges Republicans to stop complaining about Trump. ‘What’s the alternative?’

By KYLE CHENEY 06/10/16 05:22 AM EDT

In public, Donald Trump insists his racial attacks on an Indiana-born judge of Mexican descent have been “misconstrued.” But in private, Trump concedes he made a mistake, according to Ben Carson, a top advisor and former rival for the Republican presidential nomination.

“He fully recognizes that that was not the right thing to say,” Carson said in an interview, noting he’s heard Trump say so himself during a private meeting this week at Trump Tower.

Trump has not publicly backed away from comments disparaging federal judge Gonzalo Curiel – an American citizen first appointed to the bench by Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger before President Barack Obama elevated him to federal court – as biased against him. Trump claimed repeatedly that Curiel, whose parents are Mexican, could not be fair because Trump wants to build a wall along the border with Mexico. He also wrongly conflated Curiel’s membership in a local Hispanic bar association – the California La Raza Lawyers Association – with immigrant advocacy group the National Council of La Raza.

He suggested over the weekend that a Muslim judge, too, might not be fair to him either because of his proposal to suspend Muslim immigration to the United States.

But Carson, the most prominent African American in Trump’s orbit, says Trump is just spilling his unfiltered thoughts, not displaying latent racism. “He was probably talking out loud rather than thinking. That’s not a good thing to do when everything you say is going to be analyzed,” he said.

Carson agreed that an ill-considered comment by a president can move financial markets or create instability in the world, and Trump, he said, is beginning to recognize it as well. “He’s coming to that understanding,” Carson said. “I think he will change it, by necessity -- just the natural evolution of moving from the primary to the main event is going to necessitate a change.”

Carson has long argued that Trump’s pattern of racially insensitive comments and controversies aren’t reflective of genuine racism. But other Republicans have begun to rebel and distance themselves from Trump, calling on him to retract his comments about Curiel or risk losing their support. House Speaker Paul Ryan called Trump’s comments “textbook” racism.

Carson said these wary Republicans should line up behind Trump anyway.

“You know what I say to people who say that? I say, what’s the alternative?” Carson told POLITICO. “Look at where we are as a nation right now. We are moving full speed ahead on the progressive train, heading off the cliff. I mean, somebody 30 years ago, if you tried to describe America today, they would say, ‘get out of here.’ Are we going to continue on that train? Or do we want to get back to the more traditional values.”

“Now, does that mean that I agree with everything Donald Trump does?” he added. “Of course it doesn’t.”

Carson has emerged as a prominent fixer for Trump, smoothing the mogul’s more ragged, abrasive edges. He described his efforts to mold Trump into a more acceptable general election candidate and build bridges between Trump and segments of the Republican Party that have shunned him. Many of Carson’s former senior staff now occupy high-level roles in Trump’s campaign or in pro-Trump super PACs.

Carson is also a darling of the religious right and is working to heal the fractured relationship between Trump and many evangelical leaders who backed his top rival Ted Cruz. Many of these conservatives have been looking at Trump askance since Cruz dropped out, unsure whether to back a candidate who once poured donations into Democratic coffers and has supported universal health care and abortion rights.

To that end, Carson has been arranging a June 21 powwow between Trump and evangelical leaders in New York.

“It’s a hot ticket,” Carson said. “You know, it’s going to be a wonderful opportunity for people in the evangelical community to express their concerns and an opportunity also for Donald Trump to give his outlook. I think they’ll find that they’re not far apart at all.”

Carson describes Trump’s struggles to connect with evangelical leaders as a fundamental disconnect: Trump has admitted that he doesn’t seek forgiveness from God, but he wants religious conservatives to believe him when he says he’s truly with them on the issues, including abortion.

“What good would it do him to lie about that and to get into office and be something different?” Carson said. “How does that in any way advantage him? Particularly someone who takes great pride in being successful because that would pull the rug out from underneath him and he definitely wouldn’t be successful.”

Carson also briefly helped spearhead Trump’s vice presidential search, and though he wouldn’t divulge any names, he said Trump needs to pick “somebody who’s philosophically aligned with him as opposed to somebody who can bring this state or that state, which is the way vice presidents are more traditionally picked.”

“I envision it being somebody who is very smart and can take advantage of, you know, experiences that they’ve had,” he said. Asked whether that could include him, Carson said: “I’ve made it very clear that I think I would be exactly the wrong person … As you remember, as I began to gain traction, the media just went nuts and were beside themselves. I don’t want to be a distraction.”

That Carson and Trump have forged a close relationship is striking. In the fall, when Carson briefly led in some primary polls, Trump maligned him as akin to a child molester, and he mocked aspects of Carson’s celebrated biography, in which he described transforming from a troubled, knife-wielding youth into a God-fearing, straight-A student. Carson, too, has questioned Trump’s seriousness and thoughtfulness at times. But since Carson exited the race in March, he has increasingly ingratiated himself with Trump, and now he regularly appears on cable news as a forceful Trump surrogate.

He also has Trump’s ear. Carson said he requested, and received, a one-hour meeting with Trump in New York earlier this week. He declined to detail their conversation but he said Trump is always “very attentive” in their meetings “even though I know he’s got 600 people outside the door.”

Carson said Trump’s best attribute as his ability to digest “new information.”

“He’s able to process it very, very quickly and make a determination about whether that’s something that needs to be acted upon,” he said. “I’m very impressed every time I’m with him and he gets new information and how quickly he can process it and cut to the chase. He knows how to make a decision.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/carson-says-trump-knows-judge-attack-was-wrong-224164#ixzz4BBICT1uh
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Carson says Trump knows judge attack was wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:10 pm »
“He’s able to process it very, very quickly and make a determination about whether that’s something that needs to be acted upon,” he said. “I’m very impressed every time I’m with him and he gets new information and how quickly he can process it and cut to the chase. He knows how to make a decision.”

More Trump-as-toddler. 

Hey, Ben. We SEE Trump in action.  If you have to explain to us that he's sane, he's probably not.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:09:25 pm »
But Carson, the most prominent African American in Trump’s orbit, says Trump is just spilling his unfiltered thoughts, not displaying latent racism. “He was probably talking out loud rather than thinking. That’s not a good thing to do when everything you say is going to be analyzed,” he said.

Just read that again.  Trump is saying things, but we shouldn't pay any attention to what he's saying.  Oh, and he doesn't think when he speaks.

If Carson is a window into Trump, we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:13:24 pm »
If spilling his unfiltered thoughts results in Trump making racist remarks, doesn't that by definition mean that he's displaying latent racism because, by definition, his unfiltered thoughts include racist remarks. 

Offline RedHead

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »

Sorry, but I don't think that Trump does.  He's sitting there saying, "What did I do?"  Totally clueless.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:30:53 pm »
Still waiting for the apology to Dr. Carson for being labelled a poedophile.  (sp?)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:36:28 pm »
Trump is humiliating every single one of his supporters and they don't seem to know it.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 01:38:12 pm »
So, basically Carson is pointing out that Trump has no ability to admit when he is wrong.

That's certainly a big positive for a Trump presidency.  /sarcasm

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:38:30 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 01:45:41 pm »
Trump was not wrong nor was he wrong to expose this problem. The Judge is a member of a racist organization founded to by a Bigot whose goals was to force white people to go back to Europe. As more comes out on the Judge his background and his originization its making Tump look good and anybody attacking him over it look very dishonest or stupid.

The Judge is the ONLY racist here, Trump did good exposing him and his Clan with a Tan.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 01:46:09 pm »
Just read that again.  Trump is saying things, but we shouldn't pay any attention to what he's saying.  Oh, and he doesn't think when he speaks.

If Carson is a window into Trump, we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

What I got from that is, "don't worry about what he thinks, worry about what he says." You know what? I'm worried. Very worried.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 01:49:04 pm »
Still waiting for the apology to Dr. Carson for being labelled a poedophile.  (sp?)

I think Carson has already been compensated for that. What was the reason for putting him on that vice-presidential committee? It certainly wasn't so he could help select a vice-presidential nominee.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline RedHead

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 01:50:12 pm »
Trump was not wrong nor was he wrong to expose this problem. The Judge is a member of a racist organization founded to by a Bigot whose goals was to force white people to go back to Europe. As more comes out on the Judge his background and his originization its making Tump look good and anybody attacking him over it look very dishonest or stupid.

The Judge is the ONLY racist here, Trump did good exposing him and his Clan with a Tan.

Polly want a cracker?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »
And to think I once had enormous respect for Ben Carson as a man of great principle.  Now he has turned into a pathetic apologist for a megalomaniac.  Does he have no idea how he diminishes himself, and how he looks in the eyes of the public when he invests his once-great integrity into this obvious charlatan?

Ben Carson teamed with Trump out of anger at Cruz, but Trump has diminished Carson far more than Cruz ever could, and Carson does not seem to know it.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 01:55:40 pm »

What a despicable, toadying, race-baiting post. 

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 02:02:08 pm »
What a despicable, toadying, race-baiting post.
Speaking of Despicable, Toadying defenders  of a Racist Judge
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,211153.msg921284.html#new

Will you please stop posting that link on every thread...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:52:35 pm by mystery-ak »
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 02:05:39 pm »
And to think I once had enormous respect for Ben Carson as a man of great principle.  Now he has turned into a pathetic apologist for a megalomaniac.  Does he have no idea how he diminishes himself, and how he looks in the eyes of the public when he invests his once-great integrity into this obvious charlatan?

Ben Carson teamed with Trump out of anger at Cruz, but Trump has diminished Carson far more than Cruz ever could, and Carson does not seem to know it.

What you said! :amen:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 02:08:10 pm »
Along with Obledo MALDEF was co-founded by radical and racist Peter Tijerina of LULAC

Mario Obledo, MALDEF’s general Counsel, Cruz Reynoso, the Executive Director the California Rural Legal Assistance at that time, and Luis Garcia, a lawyer in private practice in San Francisco, together founded La Raza Lawyers in 1971. The Association found its first home at the MALDEF offices. From there, our founders began to recruit attorneys from San Francisco, the Bay Area, the State of California, and across the nation. Within a few years the La Raza Lawyers Association had become a national organization. Today, the national organization is known as the National Hispanic Bar Association, headquartered in Washington, D. C.

http://larazalawyers.org/about-us/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 02:10:11 pm »
Carson was a neurosurgeon??!?!?!

:thud:

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 02:11:48 pm »
No doubt Trump is using Carson to "apologize" for his - Trump's - racism because, hey, if a black guy says there is no racism it must be true, correct?  A black guy wouldn't ignore real racism, would he?

In other words, Trump is still playing the race card by sending Carson out to defend him from charges of racism. 

Offline RedHead

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 02:17:13 pm »
Speaking of Despicable, Toadying defenders  of a Racist Judge
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,211153.msg921284.html#new

Awk...Trump good...judge bad...Awk

Offline RedHead

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »
Along with Obledo MALDEF was co-founded by radical and racist Peter Tijerina of LULAC

Mario Obledo, MALDEF’s general Counsel, Cruz Reynoso, the Executive Director the California Rural Legal Assistance at that time, and Luis Garcia, a lawyer in private practice in San Francisco, together founded La Raza Lawyers in 1971. The Association found its first home at the MALDEF offices. From there, our founders began to recruit attorneys from San Francisco, the Bay Area, the State of California, and across the nation. Within a few years the La Raza Lawyers Association had become a national organization. Today, the national organization is known as the National Hispanic Bar Association, headquartered in Washington, D. C.

http://larazalawyers.org/about-us/

Could we just cut to the chase and can you please give us the details on any questionable ruling the judge has made here?  Any ruling that goes in the face of established legal precedent and which is obviously biased?  Any of them?  A single one?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 02:54:10 pm »
Clan with a Tan

Speaking of racist...knock it off..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 03:02:02 pm »
I was hoping that Carson would be about restoring his reputation and recovering his dignity.

Spin doctoring for Trump is going in the opposite direction.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 03:03:51 pm »
Speaking of racist...knock it off..

Thank you.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 03:05:01 pm »
Trump was not wrong nor was he wrong to expose this problem.

Are you calling Carson a liar?  Why did Trump put this liar in charge of his VP search?