Author Topic: Driver of pickup charged with murder in bicyclists' deaths  (Read 654 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Driver of pickup charged with murder in bicyclists' deaths
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:56:59 pm »
Driver of pickup charged with murder in bicyclists' deaths
June 9, 2016 4:24 PM

A Michigan prosecutor filed murder charges on Thursday against the 50-year-old driver of a pickup truck that struck a group of bicyclists, killing five of them and seriously injuring four others.

By COREY WILLIAMS

Associated Press
 
A Michigan prosecutor filed murder charges on Thursday against the 50-year-old driver of a pickup truck that struck a group of bicyclists, killing five of them and seriously injuring four others.

Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeffrey Getting charged Charles Pickett Jr. of Battle Creek with five counts of second degree murder and four counts of reckless driving in the crash Tuesday in Cooper Township north of Kalamazoo. Pickett will be arraigned as soon as his health permits, the prosecutor said.

The bicyclists ranged in age from 40 to 74 and were part of a group that called themselves "The Chain Gang." They were five miles into a weekly 30-mile ride when they were struck from behind on a road in the western Michigan countryside.

Police said they had received complaints about a pickup being driven erratically and were searching for it minutes before the crash around 6:30 p.m. on the two-lane road.

snip

http://www.newsobserver.com/latest-news/article82687437.html
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Driver of pickup charged with murder in bicyclists' deaths
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 05:11:43 pm »
Condolences and prayers for the families and friends of the dead and injured.

I read elsewhere, these folk were on the road heading to a bike trail for their ride. 

I don't ride road expressly for this reason and the fact that there is a lot animosity between riders and drivers.

I figure if I get hurt on the mountain bike trails, it's my own fault and mother nature is usually a bit more forgiving than a 5000 lb auto traveling at 65-70 mph.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 06:15:39 pm »
Condolences and prayers for the families and friends of the dead and injured.

I read elsewhere, these folk were on the road heading to a bike trail for their ride. 

I don't ride road expressly for this reason and the fact that there is a lot animosity between riders and drivers.

I figure if I get hurt on the mountain bike trails, it's my own fault and mother nature is usually a bit more forgiving than a 5000 lb auto traveling at 65-70 mph.

I gave up road riding years ago after cell phones started hitting en masse. In the early 90's I'd ride in downtown Chicago where I lived, during rush hour and never thought anything about it. Today I won't even go down a back country road. People just don't keep their eyes on the highway anymore. Too many cyclists also are rude snots and bring on the road rage.

Not worth the risk. I'll stay on the trails.
The Republic is lost.

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:03:49 pm »
Thankfully my daughter and her husband also take their bikes to trails and only go on bike trails in Michigan. They also take no chances being on the road with cars or drivers with road rage in their hearts.