Author Topic: San Jose police chief responds to Trump rally criticisms, more arrests made  (Read 577 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KTVU) - The San Jose Police Department has arrested three additional suspects who they say are responsible for separate assaults at the Donald Trump rally on Thursday June 2, 2016, but the police chief has come under fire for his handling of the situation.

On Wednesday night San Jose Police Chief Eddie Garcia defended his department and addressed a group of Santa Clara County Republicans amidst growing frustration surrounding the Trump rally protests.

by Taboola Sponsored Links Ad Content
Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2016: Full-Size SUVs
Kelley Blue Book
Major Scientific Breakthrough Urges Us to Care For Our Cells
MIT Technology Review | Elysium Health
Chief Garcia asked to come to their monthly meeting to share his side of what happened. One assault victim claimed the city didn't do enough to protect rally goers.

Photo San Jose police chief responds to Trump rally criticisms, more arrests made
Wednesday's arrests are in addition to the four who were already taken into custody earlier this week.

The three new suspects are all juveniles, two of which were arrested for felony assault with a deadly weapon and the third was arrested for misdemeanor battery.

One of the felony assaults involved a victim who was walking down the sidewalk and hit from behind with a blunt object according to police. The other, they say involved a victim who was chased and tackled to the ground.

The third battery incident involved another victim being chased and tackled to the ground.

SJPD is asking for the public’s assistance identifying and locating an eighth suspect who they say was responsible for an assault during the Trump rally.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter
 Follow
 San Jose Police Dept ✔ @SanJosePD
SJPD asking for public's assistance locating suspect responsible for assault at Trump rally. Call 408-277-4161
6:08 PM - 8 Jun 2016
  181 181 Retweets   88 88 likes
At the Santa Clara County Republican Party meeting, Chief Garcia adamantly denied reports he ordered officers to "stand down" during rally protests calling the reports "absurd." In videos, police are seen in skirmish lines as protestors and supporters throw punches and eggs.

Related Stories

Marijuana seized, arrests in East Bay raids
Obama to meet with Sanders in Washington
James leads Cavs to 120-90 win vs. Warriors
Brock Turner backlash continues
"I have a lot of authority over my officers but I don't have the authority to take their integrity away so there is no way an officer of mine would follow an order like that," said Chief Garcia.

After the meeting, questions remain over police tactics. Chief Garcia said the city had two days' notice and in hindsight needed more than the 250 officers on hand to quell the demonstration.

"I'm sorry that any of these victims were assaulted," Garcia said. "The officers did the best they could."

Earlier Wednesday, Trump supporter Juan Hernandez called for justice. The openly-gay Republican said he was attacked by an angry mob and wants the mayor and police chief held accountable.

"Instead of worrying about the people getting attacked," said Hernandez. "They are worried about controversy. They are worried about what they are going to look like."

Ben O'Hare who does not support Trump was also at the rally. He said most of the videos of the assaults don't tell the whole story. He claims he witnessed some supporters provoking violence.

"I think it could have been a lot worse than it was," said O'Hare. "I think police responding to protestors with a heavier hand would have created more violence than there already was."

Chief Garcia said most of the suspects are juveniles and local. He also said he has a roomful of officers reviewing video and gathering victim statements. He's hopeful more arrests will be announced Thursday.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the San Jose Police Department’s Assault’s Unit at 408-277-4161 or “311”.

Anyone wishing to remain anonymous may call the Crime Stoppers Tip Line, (408) 947-STOP (7867) or https://www.p3tips.com/tipform.aspx?ID=504

Persons providing information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect may be eligible for a cash reward from the Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers.  In addition, people can file a crime report online at http://www.sjpd.org/ReportingCrime/OnlineReport/

http://www.ktvu.com/news/156104333-story