Author Topic: Ass Ventura, when nature calls [Ventura/Machado brawl] - by Easy Ace  (Read 2007 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2016/06/08/ass-ventura-when-nature-calls/

Certain recent whispers have had the Royals thinking the once-unthinkable and moving Yordano Ventura. Yahoo!
Sports’s Jeff Passan cites a pair of unidentified executives saying the Royals have offered Ventura in trade talks
over the past month. The issue isn’t Ventura’s arm or stuff, it’s his head and the five-year-old mind inside, a mind
exposed further Tuesday in Baltimore.

Anyone with eyes to see could tell Ass Ventura had Manny Machado targeted from just about the word “go.” Or at
 least, from the moment Machado teed off Monday night for a home run off Kelvim Herrera, helping the Orioles to
a 4-1 win. When Machado hit in the second Tuesday, Ventura busted him inside and tight twice, then jawed at the
Oriole third baseman as Machado trotted up the first base line on his fly out.

Clearly Ventura was looking for trouble. And just as clearly, he found it when Machado batted in the fifth Tuesday.
He threw the hardest fastball he could muster right into Machado’s ribs. What a surprise that Machado stepped forward
out of the batter’s box, chucked his batting helmet off to one side, and charged Ventura, landing a hearty blow or
two to the pitcher’s head before they both went down in a heap as both benches and bullpens poured out to the
mound.

“You know,” said Royals manager Ned Yost after the game, “Ventura, in Manny’s (earlier) at-bat, was pitching him
in. Obviously, he didn’t like it. I don’t know who’s at fault there.” Don’t buy it for one minute. Because Yost has also
said that, yes, a good number of his players are actually getting fed up with Ventura’s schtick.

This was not Noah Syndergaard opening a World Series contest by sending the Royals’ plate-crowding Alcides
Escobar a first-pitch brushback. This was not a pitcher sending a return message after a mate got knocked down
or plowed on an infield play.

“To see Yost, then, admit Royals players ‘probably’ were frustrated by Ventura’s actions – well, that’s as close to a
public rebuke as Yost, a die-hard players manager, ever will come,” Passan writes. Probably? Royals catcher Salvador
Perez, who takes a back seat to few when it comes to protecting his pitchers, looked like he could afford to wait for
the next bus downtown when Machado took the drill and bolted for the mound.

“The talent is all there,” Orioles outfielder Adam Jones said of Ass Ventura after the game, “but between the ears
there’s a circuit board off balance.”

The Orioles’ circuit boards were anything but off balance despite the scrum. Not only did they keep the Royals to one
measly run on a bases-loaded walk in the fourth, but they wasted no time abusing former mate Chien-Ming Wang,
who succeeded Ventura after he and Machado were ejected. Mark Trumbo worked Wang to a 3-1 count before hitting
the next one over the center field fence. Chris Davis came up next and didn’t wait, blasting Wang’s first service into the
left field seats.

That made it 8-1, Orioles. Jones himself drove home the final coffin nail an inning later, hitting a 1-1 service over the
left center field wall. The Royals had only two baserunners the rest of the way and none got past first base.

Unlike Rangers reliever Matt Bush when he was stupid enough to drill Jose Bautista last month at the last minute in
their last set against the Blue Jays for the season
, and over a seven-month-old act at that, Ventura and Machado do
have a history. Last September, Ventura drilled Machado in a game. Then he had the audacity to proclaim Machado
the offender, that “everyone” knows “how he is,” or some such buncombe.

Last year, Ventura worked three straight starts early on and started bench-clearing incidents in all three. They only
began when Ventura took umbrage to Mike Trout, staring him down after Trout ripped a single up the pipe, as if Trout
had targeted him with malice aforethought, then started a beef with the Angels’ superman as he crossed the plate on
a subsequent hit abetted by an outfield lapse. As if Trout had no business even thinking about—wait for it!—scoring a
run when the opportunity arose.

They continued when Ventura drilled Oakland’s Brett Lawrie the day after Lawrie angered a few Royals with a hard
takeout slide late in a game that injured shortstop Escobar. The problem? Ventura didn’t send the message pitch
Lawrie’s first time up. He waited until Lawrie batted again, following Josh Reddick whacking a three-run homer, to drill
Lawrie. Even the umpires weren’t all that shocked when the benches and pens cleared as Lawrie took his base calmly.
Ventura got ejected post haste for that one.

And then came a classic something-out-of-nothing incident in Ventura’s very next start, against the White Sox, when
Adam Eaton grounded out right back to the pitcher, and Ventura was fool enough to jaw at the since-retired Eaton as
he ran up the line
. An ump and a coach restrained Eaton as both benches cleared.

Then, come August, Ventura started a rhetorical war with Bautista, after a game in which Ventura didn’t figure but
two Jays got drilled and Josh Donaldson got brushed back too tightly, causing tempers to flare and the Royals to act
 laughably and pathetically as though they’d been the victims
. Ventura was the nastiest. He leveled a pair of tweets in
which he called a six-time All-Star a nobody, and “You’re gonna get it from me for being fresh.”

There was a time when the Royals looked like the bullies of the league instead of a great team last season, and Ventura
was the leading reason why. Cooler heads among his teammates and the team’s followers are praying someone finds
a way to keep his mouth shut and his mind on the strike zone and not batters’ heads, since the Royals face the Jays
on the Fourth of July.

“Expecting that, of course, would be hoping for too much,” Passan observes wryly, “because Ventura is the anti-monk.
He long ago forsook self-control and chuckled at asceticism and made a career of it anyway, that great were his gifts.”

The Royals have enough troubles being on a six-game losing streak and playing .500 ball in their last twelve, not to
mention falling into a second-place tie with the Tigers, each 2.5 games back of the Indians. They don’t need to be
dragged further down. It may be time for them to move Ventura along, even in an addition-by-subtraction deal.

Because the next time Ass Ventura decides to throw at someone for reasons making as much sense as the average
politician, when his apparent nature calls, they might be shocked to see fewer of his teammates in a big hurry to protect
him.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:33:27 pm by DCPatriot »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:48:00 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Ass Ventura, when nature calls
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 06:50:55 pm »
The only way this crap is going to stop....and by "crap", I mean 99 mph fastballs as retribution, is for the pitcher to be banned from the Game for 162 games and that his salary for that period must STILL be paid by the club....but to a charity like Wounded Warriors or McDonald House.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:00:59 pm »
The only way this crap is going to stop....and by "crap", I mean 99 mph fastballs as retribution, is for the pitcher to be banned from the Game for 162 games and that his salary for that period must STILL be paid by the club....but to a charity like Wounded Warriors or McDonald House.

With Ass Ventura, it wasn't "retribution"; he's had a beef with Manny Machado since last season
and who knew what was behind it? This kid thinks he's a law unto himself. He tried to start a
fight with Mike Trout over a line single right past the box---as if Trout was trying to drill him
with the line drive. Then he tried starting a fight with him at the plate area because Trout did
nothing worse than take advantage of an outfield miscue on a subsequent hit and score. As if
Trout was supposed to hold his horses and not try to score when the chance arose! Where
the eff did Ventura learn baseball, in Bizarro World?

I think a 162-game ban for purpose pitches is extremely extreme . . . but I'd be in favour of
sitting his ass down for five starts (if he's a starting pitcher) or a month (if he's a relief pitcher;
it'd be about equivalent to missing five starts) and sending his salary for that period to the
Baseball Assistance Team. (That's the group which tries to help players whose careers ended
before the advent of the free agency era; Sandy Koufax is prominently involved with the group,
for one; let these young whippersnappers learn a little about what the game was like when
players amounted to chattel.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:06:03 pm »

I think a 162-game ban for purpose pitches is extremely extreme . . . but I'd be in favour of
sitting his ass down for five starts (if he's a starting pitcher) or a month (if he's a relief pitcher;
it'd be about equivalent to missing five starts) and sending his salary for that period to the
Baseball Assistance Team. (That's the group which tries to help players whose careers ended
before the advent of the free agency era; Sandy Koufax is prominently involved with the group,
for one; let these young whippersnappers learn a little about what the game was like when
players amounted to chattel.)

That was not a "purpose pitch", @EasyAce

A purpose pitch is the 1st inside pitch to brush him back off the plate so that you can throw the slider to the lower outside corner.

Take a look at the entire AB where he missed Machado twice throwing waaaay inside.

IMO, Ventura will NOT be a ROYAL pitcher this entire season.   George Brett won't stand for it.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 07:26:21 pm »
That was not a "purpose pitch", @EasyAce

A purpose pitch is the 1st inside pitch to brush him back off the plate so that you can throw the slider to the lower outside corner.

It's also a pitch with the purpose of intimidating a hitter no matter what the pitcher plans to throw
next, slider or otherwise. Ass Ventura isn't smart enough to push a guy back from the plate to set
him up for a pitch on the outside corner. On the other hand, you do have an implicit point---nothing
he throws to the inside part of the plate anymore will really be taken to mean anything other than
that he's trying to intimidate if not hit the batter. His reputation now precedes him by three state
lines at minimum.

You're also right, though, that Ass Ventura's days in Kansas City are probably numbered. The question
becomes, who'd be stupid enough to take him with all the risk he brings? He reminds me of
Vicente Padilla, who'd throw at hitters for no good reason and then not give a rat's ass when
his teammates were at risk of getting beaned. (The Rangers finally got rid of him when he was
caught laughing after Mark Teixiera got drilled following a Padilla duster.)

Now, here's a chuckle for you---the Mets just traded to get Kelly Johnson from the Braves.
Again. Second year in a row.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 08:21:06 pm »

Now, here's a chuckle for you---the Mets just traded to get Kelly Johnson from the Braves.
Again. Second year in a row.

LOL!   The Braves are going to be a flea market venue for the rest of the league to pick over.  And Kelly is no Daniel Murphy...who, if not for him, the NATS would be out of it before the AS Break.

Braves' RF, Nick Markakis ...former Oriole...will also probably be snatched.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 08:40:15 pm »
Great writing, BTW.....I'm jealous.

I got hit by a 90+ mph fastball on my bicep.   Crumbled on the spot.  Still can feel it.  45 years ago.

I was hoping that Manny bit Ventura's ear off in that pile on the mound.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 08:42:14 pm »
LOL!   The Braves are going to be a flea market venue for the rest of the league to pick over.  And Kelly is no Daniel Murphy...who, if not for him, the NATS would be out of it before the AS Break.

Braves' RF, Nick Markakis ...former Oriole...will also probably be snatched.

Johnson actually did a useful job for the Mets when they landed him last year. He might actually feel
a little more comfortable with them again this year. He's no Daniel Murphy at the plate, but then
he's no butcher in the field, either.

I'd suspect Markakis being moved soon enough, too. He's lost quite a lot of his long ball power but
he can still help a team as a pinch hitter or late sub.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 08:43:55 pm »
Great writing, BTW.....I'm jealous.

Flattery will get you everywhere. ;)

I got hit by a 90+ mph fastball on my bicep.   Crumbled on the spot.  Still can feel it.  45 years ago.

I got one on the ass when I was a teenager. The sucker ricocheted like Ricochet Rabbit off two ends of
the dugout!

I was hoping that Manny bit Ventura's ear off in that pile on the mound.

He didn't have half a chance even if he wanted to. They pulled Machado out of that pile real fast.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 08:54:45 pm »

I got one on the ass when I was a teenager. The sucker ricocheted like Ricochet Rabbit off two ends of
the dugout!

Hey Quint and Hooper.......

You two wanna see my appendix scar?

:tongue2:

:silly:  You're on a roll today.   What can I say?  It effin hurt!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:07:40 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 09:13:11 pm »
Hey Quint and Hooper.......

You two wanna see my appendix scar?

:tongue2:

:silly:  You're on a roll today.   What can I say?  It effin hurt!!

You wanna see my intestinal surgery scar?

Next question . . . ;)

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 09:23:44 pm »
LOL...  Just seeing if you two were paying attention.  As for taking one for the team......

As a catcher during the height of the Ball Four craze... I don't ever care to hear: ""Walk it off Ding Dong (Bell)"

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 09:28:34 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/mdmymdgear/videos/792170664217315/

This rendition of the Ventura/Machado fight is a riot!    :silly:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 10:17:35 pm »
LOL...  Just seeing if you two were paying attention.  As for taking one for the team......

As a catcher during the height of the Ball Four craze... I don't ever care to hear: ""Walk it off Ding Dong (Bell)"

I don't think Gary Bell ever got hit in the cup, but I think Jim Bouton mentioned a Pilots catcher
who took one in the cup, a hard foul tip. Ding-dong!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 10:18:22 pm »

Quote from: DCPatriot on June 08, 2016, 09:28:34 pm
https://www.facebook.com/mdmymdgear/videos/792170664217315/

This rendition of the Ventura/Machado fight is a riot!    :silly:

*LMAO!*

Float like a knuckleball, sting like a bee . . . ;)

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 10:36:31 pm »
Ass Ventura, when nature calls

Sounds like a porno.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 12:04:28 am »
*LMAO!*

Float like a knuckleball, sting like a bee . . . ;)

Is that Michael Jordan's face/head over Ventura at the very end of it?    :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

Re: Ass Ventura, when nature calls [Ventura/Machado brawl] - by Easy Ace
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 10:41:32 pm »
Ventura gets 9 games....Machado 4 games.  Both appealing. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 12:10:42 am »
Ventura gets 9 games....Machado 4 games.  Both appealing.

I can understand Machado appealing, he wasn't the instigator. You may not want a guy looking
to decapitate a pitcher who threw at him several times and finally hit him, but I could see
Machado appealing and getting a couple of games shaved off the sentence.

Ventura? I can't imagine him appealing to anyone. ;) :tongue2:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:13:10 am by EasyAce »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 12:42:28 am »
I can understand Machado appealing, he wasn't the instigator. You may not want a guy looking
to decapitate a pitcher who threw at him several times and finally hit him, but I could see
Machado appealing and getting a couple of games shaved off the sentence.

Ventura? I can't imagine him appealing to anyone. ;) :tongue2:

How I wish The ROYALS played inter-league series with the NATS...in WASHINGTON.

I'd bet a social security check that they wouldn't dare start him in any of the games.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 01:21:49 am »
How I wish The ROYALS played inter-league series with the NATS...in WASHINGTON.

I'd bet a social security check that they wouldn't dare start him in any of the games.

They already played a set against the Nationals, in May. The results: They lost two of the three
games including a 13-2 bushwhacking that only began when the Nats jumped Kris Medlen for
six in the first, abetted by two rare inning-opening errors by Mike Moustakas and Omar
Infante. Yordano Ventura never saw action in any of the games. It was their only series against
each other scheduled for this season.