Author Topic: How Close Are We To Star Trek's Warp Drive?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

Re: How Close Are We To Star Trek's Warp Drive?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 12:56:31 am »
Probably not close enough for me to ever get a ride on one.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 01:02:30 am »
Probably not close enough for me to ever get a ride on one.

By the time it happens, I'll be pushing daises..

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:46 am »
Absolutely nothing can go faster than light in Einsteinian space-time.

Everybody knows that.

Yet, in just the last 200 years it is amazing how many things that "everybody knows" have proven to be amazingly wrong.  Who can say what lies ahead in the next 200 years??  We're only barely a century past the Wright Brothers now....and at one time everybody knew that if man was supposed to fly then God would have given him wings...

:beer:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:14:18 am »
Absolutely nothing can go faster than light in Einsteinian space-time.

Everybody knows that.

Yet, in just the last 200 years it is amazing how many things that "everybody knows" have proven to be amazingly wrong.  Who can say what lies ahead in the next 200 years??  We're only barely a century past the Wright Brothers now....and at one time everybody knew that if man was supposed to fly then God would have given him wings...

My philosophy in life is this never say never..

Offline kevindavis007

geronl

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 01:21:41 am »
I don't think we even know what principle the thing would operate on yet.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:27:28 am »
I don't think we even know what principle the thing would operate on yet.

Not yet.. I think in 2050 we could have it figured it out.. However, there is a major factor, we haven't blown ourselves up..

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 01:34:35 am »

My philosophy in life is this never say never..

Exactly...along with "Get out of Low Earth Orbit!!"...

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 01:43:02 am »
Exactly...along with "Get out of Low Earth Orbit!!"...

Amen...

geronl

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 01:54:48 am »

Not yet.. I think in 2050 we could have it figured it out.. However, there is a major factor, we haven't blown ourselves up..

I'll be hoping for a miracle discovery then.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 02:00:07 am »
I'll be hoping for a miracle discovery then.

Ditto.. So I'm hoping we discover some kind of wormhole at this point....

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 04:16:09 pm »
Like fusion power, just around the corner in 20 years........

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 04:46:22 pm »
There is a theory of inter-dimensional quantum mechanics that I think will someday make it possible to travel throughout the 3 or 4 ( time) dimensional universe.  It wont be going faster than the speed of light, but slipping in and out of other dimensions to go where you want...

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 06:29:49 pm »
I do not think we will ever discover a non-chemical drive for inter-stellar transportation until such time as a long-term industrial research and support base is built a million miles out at L-2, well clear of the earth/moon gravity well.  There are some high energy theoretical experiments that are just too hazardous to attempt in a populated gravity well, and the force of gravity and any atmosphere would interfere as well.  Who knows what is possible if you have a CERN facility at L-2??  Start really experimenting with fusion power someplace where extra radiation doesn't matter.

That means we need to be able to make metal in space out of materials we harvest in space; ie use the asteroids & Kuiper belt objects as we continue to find them and identify what they are made of.  There's enough pure carbon in the asteroids for infinite use if someone can figure out a way to cheaply put the carbon in a usable form & spin it into carbon fiber, or even print 3-D carbon fiber structural items in a zero gravity/zero atmosphere environment.  The brightest object in the asteroid belt is a 300 mile diameter object made of mostly pure Iron/nickel,  Smelting using reflected sunlight, anyone??

Much of this technology is in its infancy right now.  100 years from now we should be well on our way to permanent deep-space manufacturing facilities, and hopefully avoid wasting money on horribly expensive stunts like one-way trips to Mars. 

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 01:14:07 am »
I do not think we will ever discover a non-chemical drive for inter-stellar transportation until such time as a long-term industrial research and support base is built a million miles out at L-2, well clear of the earth/moon gravity well.  There are some high energy theoretical experiments that are just too hazardous to attempt in a populated gravity well, and the force of gravity and any atmosphere would interfere as well.  Who knows what is possible if you have a CERN facility at L-2??  Start really experimenting with fusion power someplace where extra radiation doesn't matter.

That means we need to be able to make metal in space out of materials we harvest in space; ie use the asteroids & Kuiper belt objects as we continue to find them and identify what they are made of.  There's enough pure carbon in the asteroids for infinite use if someone can figure out a way to cheaply put the carbon in a usable form & spin it into carbon fiber, or even print 3-D carbon fiber structural items in a zero gravity/zero atmosphere environment.  The brightest object in the asteroid belt is a 300 mile diameter object made of mostly pure Iron/nickel,  Smelting using reflected sunlight, anyone??

Much of this technology is in its infancy right now.  100 years from now we should be well on our way to permanent deep-space manufacturing facilities, and hopefully avoid wasting money on horribly expensive stunts like one-way trips to Mars. 

I see Mars as a rehearsal for Interstellar voyage.. I think in 2100 provided we haven't blown ourselves up, we could be starting to become a truly Interstellar species.. Of course we can do it sooner just as soon we find out there is a Neutron Star is headed towards this planet..

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 08:16:55 am »
One thing has always bothered me about sf/warp drive.
Space is full of crap. From dust to micro and macro meteroids, to asteroids up to the occasional rogue planet.

How do you avoid bumping into all this stuff going that fast?
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 10:10:04 pm »
Space is full of crap. From dust to micro and macro meteroids, to asteroids up to the occasional rogue planet.

That is a something I'm sure they are working on.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 02:11:43 am »

You use a powerful magnetic field to divert particles aside as you go.  Its not that big of a deal until you start reaching significant percentages of the speed of light (c) at which time even atoms of hydrogen hit so hard they instantly convert into very energetic Gamma and X rays.  Not to worry though, we have not built anything that is capable of accelerating to that kind of speed, and won't any time soon.

My point is that you cannot begin to build that kind of power source, or the engine to use it, or the structure required to contain it and withstand its sustained thrust, until you can build the different manufacturing capabilities in high earth orbit, such as a LaGrange-2 Halo orbit a million miles out from earth in a gravity and atmosphere free environment.  The industrial processes possible there are would be considered too hazardous to attempt on earth, and everything you need for an interstellar craft cannot be made and lifted out of a gravity well.  Too expensive and you cannot move the really big stuff you need, like structural construction components.

Smelt iron and nickel with sunlight and make as much stainless steel as you need.  Someone needs to invent a mill that can produce hot-rolled coils in a weightless environment.  Purify gigatons of carbonaceous asteroids to produce carbon fiber, and produce enough resin to start making useful structural shapes and custom 3-D printed carbon components for whatever you need.  Those same asteroids will yield enough water ice to produce pure water along with pure hydrogen and oxygen fuel using unlimited sunlight.  There's enough raw silicon in the asteroid belt to make unlimited numbers of highly reflective mirrors to use that unlimited sunlight.  None of this is "unobtanium" either.  It is all there for the taking once some smot guy figures out how to do it and make a solid buck.

I'd love to see a path to interstellar space but figuring out how to use the nearly unlimited raw materials and energy available to us in HEO is the key to getting there.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 03:56:19 am »

An interesting factoid with the Alcubierre drive:  because the drive actually manipulates space-time itself, if it works, material such as this could apparently build up on the front edge like a bow wave.  The fear then being not that you would destroy yourself, but that you would nuke the planet you were attempting to reach because as you started to slow down, all that stuff would continue moving forward and would sweep across the destination.  I think some tweaks to the theory worked that kink out; mind you, there's still no idea whether it could ever actually be built.

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

geronl

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 12:16:38 am »
nice

Offline kevindavis007