Author Topic: Orlando woman, 3-year-old ID'd as victims of hazmat situation on Turnpike  (Read 3056 times)

Offline RoosGirl

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-latifa-lincoln-daughter-turnpike-hazmat-20160605-story.html

An Orlando woman and her 3-year-old daughter were identified as the two people who died in a mysterious hazmat situation on the Florida Turnpike last week.

Latifa Lincoln, 46, and her daughter, Maksmilla Lincoln, were found dead inside a white vehicle near mile marker 224 Thursday afternoon, according to the Osceola County Sheriff's Office.

The vehicle had an unknown hazardous substance inside that led to two deputies and a Florida Highway Patrol trooper to be hospitalized after making contact with it, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Twis Lizasuain said.

The substance also led to a four-hour closure of the Turnpike as officials investigated.

The vehicle had some minor damage from hitting a guardrail but investigators do not believe the deaths were caused by the crash.

The medical examiner's office is investigating the cause of their deaths and helping to identify the unknown substance.

Lizasuain said the substance didn't appear to be drug-related. She said they will be doing a forensic scan of the vehicle to help piece together what happened.

No other details were immediately available.

Offline RoosGirl

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-turnpike-hazmat-reports-20160722-story.html

Newly released records offer a glimpse into the mysterious hazmat situation on Florida's Turnpike where a woman and her 3-year-old daughter were found dead last month.

But key details — including what kind of substance was involved — remain unknown.

On Friday, the Florida Highway Patrol released recordings of radio traffic and other records from the June 2 incident, which sent three law-enforcement officers to the hospital.

The incident unfolded when a Florida Highway Patrol trooper spotted a Porsche Cayenne that appeared to have bumped into a guardrail. He saw two people inside— Latifa Lincoln, 46, and daughter Maksmilla Lincoln.

He radioed at 3:14 p.m. that he needed help "right away" after finding a woman inside was "not breathing," radio traffic shows.

"She also has a child in here. We're gonna have to break the window, they got it locked," the trooper said.

Five minutes later, he smelled some sort of "chemical," records show.

"There's some kind of strong smell coming out of the vehicle. We're not able — we're not sure what's coming out of there. There's one small child and a female, but, uh, they're not able to get in with the smell," he said.

That's when a hazmat team was called and troopers started to shut down the Turnpike.

Continued...

Offline mountaineer

I just noticed this post and, probably because I've been reading so many mystery novels lately, was intrigued. This appears to be the latest.
Records: SUV where mother, daughter found dead smelled like 'formaldehyde or ammonia'
Unexplained deaths on Florida's Turnpike
Aug. 4, 2016
Orlando Sentinel - EXCERPTED

An Osceola County deputy who broke the window of an SUV where a mother and daughter were found dead in June described the strong chemical smell coming from the car as "comparable to formaldehyde or ammonia," new records show.

Little information has been released about the deaths of Latifa Lincoln, 46, and her daughter Maksmilla Lincoln, 3. The two were found dead in a Porsche Cayenne SUV on Florida's Turnpike after the vehicle bumped into a guard rail June 2.

The District Nine Medical Examiner's Office has not determined what caused their deaths, said Sheri Blanton, a forensic senior program manager. Lab tests that follow autopsies can sometimes take months to complete and they have not been released.

Lincoln was on her way to Miami, according to a voice mail she left shortly before her death. The voice mail recording, photos of the scene, and other investigative documents were released by the sheriff's office this week. It's unclear if the voice mail had anything to do with the deaths.

"I'm driving to Miami, so I can't text you back," Lincoln said in the voice mail. Then she discusses an automatic bill payment system she had just set up. "… I'll be back in a couple days, but anyway I want you to get the money on time."   ...

The Lincolns
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline RoosGirl

I just noticed this post and, probably because I've been reading so many mystery novels lately, was intrigued. This appears to be the latest.

Definitely an odd one.  Thank you for the update.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Oceander

This is a little bizarre.