Poll

Out of the two likely major candidates, which one do you think would do the LEAST damage to the Republic if elected?

Hillary Rodham Clinton
5 (50%)
Donald J. Trump
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 20, 2016, 12:17:06 pm

Author Topic: Poll: Who will do the least damage to the Republic?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline markomalley

Poll: Who will do the least damage to the Republic?
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:06 pm »
Rather than the usual "who do you support", I would like to phrase the question as "who do you think would do the LEAST damage if elected?" The reason why I ask the question in this fashion is that you might be #nevertrump and will never vote for him but would still think that Clinton would be more damaging to the Republic than Trump.

I'll add my vote and my opinion later on in the thread (not that either matter, but just as a matter of good form for posting a poll).

If you can take time to add your rationale for your vote, I would appreciate it. Specifically, why do you think Trump would do less damage than Clinton or why Clinton would do less damage than Trump?

You will also note that I did not give an "other" or "none of the above" choice. The reason being that I am NOT asking who you would vote for, rather out of the two, which is less dangerous than the other.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:17:34 pm by markomalley »

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Re: Poll: Who will do the least damage to the Republic?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:31:21 pm »
In the short term, hitlery may have the edge.  Or not.  It's difficult to say.  We know that she'll be worse than awful.  stumpy may bumble into less-egregious errors.  Or not.  He may very well prove to be worse.

But in the long run, it's stumpy by a length, or maybe two.

stumpy is a dictator in the making. 

hitlery is a liar, but decieves  few.  stumpy is a great deceiver.
Former Republican.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 12:39:16 pm »
After pondering the question as asked for a while I voted for Hillary but it was a near thing.

In the short term it's closer but long term Trump would do the most damage by a wide margin!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline markomalley

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:42:47 pm »
...but long term Trump would do the most damage by a wide margin!
If you have the time, could you enunciate why you think he would do the most long-term damage over Clinton?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:47:05 pm »
If you have the time, could you enunciate why you think he would do the most long-term damage over Clinton?

I could but don't think I'll bother since I truly believe that at the end of the day it really doesn't matter.  The republic will survive neither IMHO.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:53:41 pm »
I will vote this fall, if I must, to defeat Trump.   My core rationale for that view is that Trump's danger is existential, while Clinton's is not.   

The danger of a Clinton Presidency is obvious enough -  she's a partisan liberal, is personally corrupt, and will make bad choices for the courts.   But she's not erratic and crazy the way Trump is;  to allow him custody of the nuke codes is beyond-the-pale irresponsible.   Moreover,  Trump's message is ugly, racist and divisive,  and spells doom for the GOP unless he is decisively rejected.   

There's still time to deny Trump the nomination.   Let's do it.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

geronl

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 08:40:34 pm »
none of the above

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 08:45:06 pm »
That's no choice.  Both will do equal damage; only the petty details will be different.  The only question is this:  do you want "our" liberal in the White House or "their" liberal in the White House?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 08:55:04 pm »
Poll: Who will do the least damage to the Republic?

Darrell Castle...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 08:58:29 pm »
If we're talking either for a single four year term or eight years, it's still a dead heat in my mind. Trump might do less apparent damage if he has a single term only. And can keep his mouth shut. And grows any skin at all when it comes to perceived insults - cause foreign policy is 60% insults.

So - no vote.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 11:51:33 pm »
I honestly could not tell you.

On its face, I could make an argument that it could be a tie. Clinton would follow the Obama model of fundamental transformation. Trump would follow a more blunt, authoritarian approach.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 03:11:59 am »
I don't know.  I suspect DT, but I honestly don't know. 

Offline markomalley

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 10:35:29 am »
Rather than the usual "who do you support", I would like to phrase the question as "who do you think would do the LEAST damage if elected?" The reason why I ask the question in this fashion is that you might be #nevertrump and will never vote for him but would still think that Clinton would be more damaging to the Republic than Trump.

I'll add my vote and my opinion later on in the thread (not that either matter, but just as a matter of good form for posting a poll).

If you can take time to add your rationale for your vote, I would appreciate it. Specifically, why do you think Trump would do less damage than Clinton or why Clinton would do less damage than Trump?

You will also note that I did not give an "other" or "none of the above" choice. The reason being that I am NOT asking who you would vote for, rather out of the two, which is less dangerous than the other.
As promised, my opinion on the matter:

I have no question that Her Thighness will do the wrong thing in 100% (100 out of 100) of the cases presented to her. She is undoubtedly one of the top 10 most dangerous politicians in the United States. I think she would be worse for the Republic than even Obama has been. She has, since the early 70s, been on a collision course with the Constitution and will have absolutely no qualms in exercising all possible power to achieve her ends. Dredge up all the stories from Arkansas, the Nixon impeachment hearings, and the horror stories from the White House (FBI files, etc.). She is a truly sociopathic, dangerous person. If elected President, she will do damage to the Republic that will make us wax rhapsodic for the good old days of the Obama Administration.

What has always been of concern to me about Trump is that he is a liberal: he wants to "fix it." He will bring jobs back, He will fix healthcare, He will fix immigration, He will...and I see no indication that He will allow the Constitution to constrain him. That makes him an undesirable candidate as far as I am concerned. Sadly, Trump also has a serious case of diarrhea of the mouth and appears to have little or no self-control...and this can manifest itself into some serious ugliness, such as his outbursts regarding Judge Curiel (criticizing him multiple times on his ethnicity and doubling down on that criticism, rather than the justified criticism of him based upon memberships in various groups). I previously held the opinion that both he and the Hildabeast were NY liberals, but that he might, just might, do the right thing in a few cases (3 or 4 out of 100), which would, by default, make him a less undesirable candidate than Cankles. However, his lack of introspection in regard to the Curiel case, until he finally, under pressure, clarified, makes me question whether or not he has the wisdom to listen to people when he needs to do so (such as when committing US forces). If elected President, one of his out-of-control outbursts may cause the physical destruction of the Republic.

So we are in a situtation where we have two people who have a reasonable possibility of winning the Presidential election this November and both are relatively equally undesirable and unsuitable. Sure, there are those of us who could do a protest vote (Libertarian, Constitution, or write-in), but if we face facts, one of the two is going to be elected. I fear for the Republic like never before.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 08:40:05 pm »
Trump will make the Republican party as popular in America as it was in the 1930's. The Democrat liberal from New York will turn the only party capable of resistance to the increasing tryanny of this country into a laughingstock and a byword for the next 50 years.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 10:14:51 pm »
Trump will make the Republican party as popular in America as it was in the 1930's. The Democrat liberal from New York will turn the only party capable of resistance to the increasing tryanny of this country into a laughingstock and a byword for the next 50 years.

That is well said, and predictably true.

Offline WAC

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 07:53:56 pm »
I have no doubt Hillary will do the MOST damage to the Republic......she'll Bullet train this nation straight to the Globalist Government Halls
which she's been preparing for with International leaders, Sec. of state made that an easy lane to be in......and Bill too traveling the World Stage.

If that happens then shows over for the USA as a  Nation under it's own constitutional laws.