Author Topic: Ted Cruz for Senate  (Read 608 times)

Offline libertybele

Ted Cruz for Senate
« on: June 04, 2016, 12:16:57 pm »
Personally, I can't wait for the next chapter for Cruz.  He will emerge as an even stronger force to be reckoned with!  I fully intend to continue to support him.  This article suggests a very long Senate career for Cruz; God willing that this country stays in tact another 4 years, I see him as POTUS.

Ted Cruz For Senate

June 3, 2016 By Sean Saffron

Lost in all the back and forth of the Republican presidential primary is a profound question for the conservative movement: “Whither Ted Cruz?” Let us not overlook a conservative powerhouse, with a proven track record of organizing actual voters across a wide swath of states, expertise at small-dollar fundraising, and the discipline to endure months of heckling by Donald Troll and his oafish minions.

Is no one else excited to see the next chapter for Cruz? If he so chooses, Cruz can be the conservative leader he was so often attacked for not being over the last few years. Now that he is no longer required to hedge his every position, craft every utterance for maximum flexibility, and throw inconvenient political groups under the bus, Cruz can focus on actually legislating and moving the American political center rightward.

As I argued last year (in an unheeded essay urging he stay put in the Senate):

Cruz could likely hold his seat in perpetuity while remaining a strong advocate for limited government. The powers of incumbency along with the dogged work ethic Cruz showed in his first election would make him a formidable candidate even in the worst of cycles. At age 44, Cruz could easily serve 30 years in the Senate before considering retirement. If Cruz focused on being a conservative foil to Senate institutions like Sen. Pat Leahy (D-Vermont), class of ‘74, or Robert Byrd (D-West Virginia), the longest-serving senator in history, he could play an important role in the resurgence of liberty and a return to Constitutional government.

Cruz has not chosen that course—yet! But perhaps the lure of the White House was too much to resist, as it has been for many ambitious Americans before him...

... As should be expected in our instant-gratification culture, Cruz ran for president as soon as possible, not after serving 16 years in the upper chamber like Kennedy. But that doesn’t mean Cruz can’t have a long Senate career full of conservative wins. After his loss to Trump, Cruz can now dedicate himself to undoing the nearly 30 years of work Kennedy put in to expanding government and eroding freedom following the latter’s defeat to Jimmy Carter.
Just look at the current Senate minority to see how an organized political coalition can still drive the national conversation and alter policy.

“What use is the Senate?” you may ask. In the age of celebrity residents in the White House, it is certainly less glamorous. But just look at the current Senate minority to see how an organized political coalition can still drive the national conversation and alter policy. On a range of issues, from undermining religious liberty at colleges, to moving the Overton window on public funding of abortion, or increasing spending no matter what, Harry Reid’s zombie majority still runs the show.

Imagine Mike Lee, the once and future Senate leadership candidate, eventually leads a Republican majority and is supported by Rand Paul zinging a flat-footed Minority Leader Amy Klobuchar on MSNBC while Cruz activates his grassroots army. All of a sudden, freedom stands a chance.
The future of the Republicans in Congress can be conservative. It need not be full of sell-out ring-kissers, nor serve fork-tongued weasels on K Street. Instead, conservatives can take over the Republican majorities and keep up the fight against bigger government and a complete crony takeover under Hillary Clinton.

They should probably be more realistic about what they can achieve, and more clear about the principles they are for, not just which Obama/Clinton policies they oppose, but those are tactical and messaging changes a smart and mature Tea Party faction can make.

Cruz can lead by example and show that Congress is important. The Senate should once again be where intelligent, principled statesmen prefer to serve their country. The presidency is an ego trip, and now that his vacation from Capitol Hill is over, let’s hope Cruz settles in for the long haul.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/06/03/ted-cruz-for-senate/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Ted Cruz for Senate
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:21:04 pm »
If I was more than just a Winter Texan (someday I hope to move back), he would surely get my vote.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 01:30:11 pm »
I think its inarguable that Cruz can be of great value to the Senate. Personally, I'd like to see him end up on the Supreme court, as he has a brilliant legal mind and a keen determination to hold to originalist intent. What he is NOT good at politically, creating a consensus and drawing support from the center to push legislation over the hump...is actually a strength when it comes being a justice. As an SCJ, he need not...and for the most part should not...compromise with those of opposing views. Further, in that setting his intellectual sharpness is far more likely to persuade other SCJ's to his view than would be the case in a political setting.

Whatever he chooses, Cruz will be an asset to the party and to conservatism generally. Best of luck to him in that endeavor.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 01:40:15 pm »
I think its inarguable that Cruz can be of great value to the Senate. Personally, I'd like to see him end up on the Supreme court, as he has a brilliant legal mind and a keen determination to hold to originalist intent. What he is NOT good at politically, creating a consensus and drawing support from the center to push legislation over the hump...is actually a strength when it comes being a justice. As an SCJ, he need not...and for the most part should not...compromise with those of opposing views. Further, in that setting his intellectual sharpness is far more likely to persuade other SCJ's to his view than would be the case in a political setting.

Whatever he chooses, Cruz will be an asset to the party and to conservatism generally. Best of luck to him in that endeavor.
I wouldn't argue the first point. But an asset to the GOP? I think the GOP is a lost cause. They have moved so far left, so far away from the conservative main stream, so far away from its founding principles, that Even Cruz finds objectionable. Cruz is an outsider within the GOP. So much in fact, that he virtually has no influence. He would be better off being an independant, if not a Constitution Party leader. I think either of the latter, he could still be elected to the Senate from Texas.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:40:35 pm by RetBobbyMI »
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 02:12:04 pm »

I agree....I always thought there was a seat on the Supreme Court with Ted's name on it.  I hope someday he chooses that direction.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:23:01 pm »
Sen. Cruz for all practical purposes was the last candidate standing out of 16 competitors for (s)Trump, and garnished about 526 pre-convention delegates.  The rabid idiots at FR who think he will have a serious primary challenge don't realize that this election thrust him as maybe the last hope for conservatism.  He has a heck of a brighter future in politics than the Orange Fool, who will see a Goldwater level of defeat come November.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:45:28 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 05:49:17 pm »
I agree....I always thought there was a seat on the Supreme Court with Ted's name on it.  I hope someday he chooses that direction.

Unless he's nominated to the SCOTUS this election cycle; it's not going to happen.  Whoever is nominated will be there for at least a decade or two.  At any rate, Cruz has already stated that he's not interested.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

geronl

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 06:12:28 pm »
I doubt Ted Cruz has much to worry about in getting re-elected

Offline bilo

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 06:35:54 pm »

I see this come up from time to time and can't help but wonder if posters remember how the Senate works. There is no chance in this world that Sen Cruz would win a nomination fight for the SCOTUS. The Rats would filibuster forever and the GOPe would never fight for such a strong conservative who didn't toe the line while in the Senate. Alito and Scalila were judicial heavyweights and the balance on the court was unaffected. Thomas was attacked with the most outrageous lies, but the GOPe had to back him because he is a black man. Sen Cruz is too principaled for sen.'s to back him.

I wonder how much of this new found support for Sen Cruz being on the SCOTUS comes from Trump followers who know the lies perpetuated by their leader were undeserved and now feel some guilt about it.

I want to see Sen. Cruz run again in 4 yrs. We are going to need someone with some smarts and respect for our constitution to clean up the mess left behind by hillary, or donald.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 06:37:09 pm »

Sen. Cruz for all practical purposes was the last candidate standing out of 16 competitors for (s)Trump, and garnished about 526 pre-convention delegates.  The rabid idiots at FR who think he will have a serious primary challenge don't realize that this election thrust him as maybe the last hope for conservatism.  He has a heck of brighter future in politics than the Orange Fool, who will see a Goldwater level of defeat come November.

:amen:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 08:19:11 pm »
I'd like to see Ted Cruz as President of the Texas Republic. I realize we need to have a Convention of the States first as the last gasp to save the US Republic- but I am all for secession for Texas. We can definitely stand on our own.

http://www.thetnm.org/
Principles matter. Words matter.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 08:20:07 pm »
I'd like to see Ted Cruz as President of the Texas Republic. I realize we need to have a Convention of the States first as the last gasp to save the US Republic- but I am all for secession for Texas. We can definitely stand on our own.

I like the idea, too.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 08:23:46 pm »
Convention of States website. I signed the petition and will look into volunteering.

http://www.conventionofstates.com/

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:03 pm »
Also signed the petition.

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 09:35:26 pm »

I would love to see this happen and would apply for residency and then citizenship.

Offline austingirl

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 10:32:13 pm »
I would love to see this happen and would apply for residency and then citizenship.

Texas will need to have a generous program so liberals can leave and we can welcome some more conservatives. ^-^