Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 114059 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2018, 10:37:45 pm »
Using a dna sample from www.livingdna.com

mt-DNA = U5a1a1c (motherline-very ancient)

Y-DNA = I1a1b (fatherline-very ancient)

Autosomal DNA Origins per www.livingdna.com (very recent British Isles Centric)

Great Britain/Ireland 91%
North/West Europe     4%
Europe East               3%
Europe South             2%

Autosomal DNA Origins per www.gedmatch.com Eurogenes  various algorithms (more ancient)

North Atlantic 60.31 (Britain, Ireland, Germany, France)
South Baltic 15.55 (Scandinavia)
Volga-Ural 5.46 (Russia/Ukraine- Swedish Scandinavians went into this region apparently brought back women)
   subtotal about 82%

Mediterranean 11.60 (Northern Italy, Basque, Spain, Portugal - probably tied to Celtiberians that migrated into Britain/Ireland)   
Caucasus 5.79 (SE Europe big ?)

(One very big variable the DNA just hint at, is the migration for Ice Age advances, retreats--if the DNA origin methodology has samples which are that ancient)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2018, 12:42:02 am »
Using a dna sample from www.livingdna.com

mt-DNA = U5a1a1c (motherline-very ancient)

Y-DNA = I1a1b (fatherline-very ancient)

Autosomal DNA Origins per www.livingdna.com (very recent British Isles Centric)

Great Britain/Ireland 91%
North/West Europe     4%
Europe East               3%
Europe South             2%

Autosomal DNA Origins per www.gedmatch.com Eurogenes  various algorithms (more ancient)

North Atlantic 60.31 (Britain, Ireland, Germany, France)
South Baltic 15.55 (Scandinavia)
Volga-Ural 5.46 (Russia/Ukraine- Swedish Scandinavians went into this region apparently brought back women)
   subtotal about 82%

Mediterranean 11.60 (Northern Italy, Basque, Spain, Portugal - probably tied to Celtiberians that migrated into Britain/Ireland)   
Caucasus 5.79 (SE Europe big ?)

(One very big variable the DNA just hint at, is the migration for Ice Age advances, retreats--if the DNA origin methodology has samples which are that ancient)

@Bigun

There are so many DNA dot coms out there.  I want to do them all just for the fun of it.  I wonder if any really contradict each other?

I think i will start with yours, Bigun, the MyHeritage.com.

Truth, yours is outrageous!  Amazing what you can find out from these, I suspect, scientists.  Ice Age?  Holy Moley! 

:thud:

"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2018, 12:55:46 am »
I tell ya....... my people went EVERYWHERE.  :laugh:

Seriously - the Swedish Vikings went east to present day Russia, and many settled there.  The Norwegian Vikings went west and clearly spread their seed all over Great Britain as they went.

It's not surprising that most people with European ancestry have some Scandinavian in the mix.

I seriously need to go back farther with my ancestry.  I know that everyone was living in Sweden, or one grandmother in the Swedish part of Finland, as far back as the 18th century, but I haven't gone back any farther than that, and need to do that.

(My brown eyes came from somewhere! LOL!)

@catfish1957

Truly. From the North American shore to the Mediterannean to the Caspian Sea and back to the Baltics, and everything in between. I have Viking blood due to their conquest of Normandy.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2018, 01:44:55 am »
@Bigun

There are so many DNA dot coms out there.  I want to do them all just for the fun of it.  I wonder if any really contradict each other?

I think i will start with yours, Bigun, the MyHeritage.com.

Truth, yours is outrageous!  Amazing what you can find out from these, I suspect, scientists.  Ice Age?  Holy Moley! 

:thud:

@Slip18

I still think the best of the lot is http://www.FTDNA.com
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2018, 01:55:04 am »
My ancestry might include King Olaf or Ragnar Lothbrook, but most likely I'm only related to the famous comedy team, Sven and Ollie.  :dx1:

My Viking ancestry came way when they raped and pillaged the UK many moons ago.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline musiclady

« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2018, 01:58:28 am »

My Viking ancestry came way when they raped and pillaged the UK many moons ago.

Yeah............. that happened to a lot of you British Isle folks.  (I'm quite sure my ancestors were at home farming, so I don't think we're related.  ^-^)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2018, 02:02:36 am »
Yeah............. that happened to a lot of you British Isle folks.  (I'm quite sure my ancestors were at home farming, so I don't think we're related.  ^-^ )

LOL!!!

All I know is that my ancestors came from Wales, Scotland, England, N Ireland, Ireland, and Germany.  But I do have a very distant Italian Ancestor who fought with William when he invaded England.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2018, 01:45:47 pm »
@Slip18

Okie-dokie!   Thanks!  You know a heck of a lot more than I do.  Perhaps I may find someone other than a hog farmer, ya think?   LOL!

:beer:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2018, 01:49:27 pm »
I spread my DNA everywhere I could, back when I was a kid....

But you won't even do the spit Ancestry test.  You may have some great family lineage other than P.T. Barnum. 

:silly:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2018, 03:10:32 pm »
@Slip18

These are the three areas you can have tested at FTDNA:

Family Finder
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA

So being a female of this wonderful species, would I have to use one of my brothers to do the Y-DNA and the mtDNA? 

I will do the Family Finder within the next few days.  Too much fun going on here!  LOL!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2018, 03:31:20 pm »
These are the three areas you can have tested at FTDNA:

Family Finder
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA

So being a female of this wonderful species, would I have to use one of my brothers to do the Y-DNA and the mtDNA? 

I will do the Family Finder within the next few days.  Too much fun going on here!  LOL!

Yes! One of your brothers would be perfect for a Y test and that test can tract your father's line back a LONG ways!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2018, 03:50:22 pm »

All I know is that my ancestors came from Wales, Scotland, England, N Ireland, Ireland, and Germany.  But I do have a very distant Italian Ancestor who fought with William when he invaded England.

But in each case for DNA purposes, before they arrived in those places (cultures, locations, nations) they had traveled from somewhere else, in many/most cases. (example the Welsh likely came across from Brittany-hence the shared languages of "Breton" and "Welsh.")

Taking Britain, there were some earliest "indigenous" people of Britain (pre-Celts?). Then came Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians, Belgians, Norse, others etc.

Or take southern Italy for another case. Etruscans, Greeks, Romans, Normans, muslims, Spaniards, etc. Likewise Spain.

But even predating those migrations, the first people advanced then retreated with changes in climate, e.g. Ice Age.

I still have the open question of when in migratory history, these father-mother Haplogroups were established?

They dug up a lot of bodies in Britain, of people descended from Norse, and one company (livingdna.com) calls them UK, and another (ancestry.com) calls them Scandinavian.

The site gedmatch.com offers several additional algorithms to classfy DNA with different labels, like "Atlantic," "Baltic," and "Mediterranean" etc. for instance.

Finally DNA science is advancing rapidly. They are using stem cells now, to treat cancer. There are large scientific firms, dedicated to medicine, not genealogy as a hobby for where Grandpa Eric's family came from?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2018, 03:42:55 am »

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2018, 06:49:01 am »
@truth_seeker

I can actually read and understand that map.  Is that what you get when you have the Y-DNA and the mtDNA completed? 

The one I have from Ancestry is really kind of boring.  A swath from Ireland through England and North France and Germany.  Then it bunches up in Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

You have a far more interesting one.

I wonder what one would look like from a Japanese purebred?  Some of the islands are still in dispute with Russia, but I am sure you knew that.  Huh?  Would it just show the islands?  Curiosity killed the cat...

**nononono*

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2018, 04:08:00 pm »
@Slip18

I am not sure which map you are referring to.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #216 on: March 03, 2018, 09:56:37 pm »
This one!

:laugh:
@Slip 18

I have seen that one in several variations, showing the routes Vikings took in their "golden era."

Danes to England, Ireland, France etc. Norwegians to Iceland, Greenland, America, plus to England, Ireland, France etc.

And Norse all around into the Atlantic route into the Mediterranean, to Italy for instance. (Relatives of William the Conqueror ruling southern Italy for generations) 

Finally Swedes eastward into Russia and beyond, giving rise to the Kievan Rus culture.

and
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:14:25 am by truth_seeker »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2018, 03:43:06 am »
@To-Whose-Benefit?
You might find these Scandinavian discussions interesting.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2018, 05:04:40 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2018, 01:02:12 pm »
@Slip 18

I have seen that one in several variations, showing the routes Vikings took in their "golden era."

Danes to England, Ireland, France etc. Norwegians to Iceland, Greenland, America, plus to England, Ireland, France etc.

And Norse all around into the Atlantic route into the Mediterranean, to Italy for instance. (Relatives of William the Conqueror ruling southern Italy for generations) 

Finally Swedes eastward into Russia and beyond, giving rise to the Kievan Rus culture.

and

Thanks, Truth.  I do love old maps and globes!  It shows how migration "could" have happened.  My little map from Ancestry has a much smaller swath.  Those Vikings sure did a bit of damage throughout Northern Europe.  I suppose the reason is they had to be good or great sailors.  They got around, just like the Beach Boys.

Trying to be funny which doesn't usually work for me.  LOL!

**nononono*

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2018, 01:08:29 pm »
@Slip18

Here's a link that explains the "removed" thing genealogy buffs must deal with.

https://www.simplemost.com/difference-second-cousins-cousins-removed/?utm_campaign=geek&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=partner&utm_partner=geek

Thank you, Bigun!  I do appreciate all of your help!

888high58888
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:08:59 pm by Slip18 »

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2018, 12:37:30 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit?
You might find these Scandinavian discussions interesting.

Thanks @Suppressed

At the Court of the Byzantine emperor (in Constantinople) when he hired Vikings as House Guard/Mercenaries, one of them got bored on duty and left posterity a note.

It can still be seen today.

In a stone railing overlooking the open square he got busy with his knife and carved runes into the stone.

They read "Halfdan Carved These Runes" (Halfdan means half-Dane)

A Viking Kilroy.

On names;

Even Tolkein lifted Gandalf from an old Viking poem.

It's part of a listing of names (called a thular)

Gandalf means 'Sorcerer Elf'.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:51:47 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2018, 02:07:07 pm »
They read "Halfdan Carved These Runes" (Halfdan means half-Dane)

Ive seen pix of that. Amazing.

So far from home. Though it speaks to their prowess!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2018, 06:25:03 pm »
I tell ya....... my people went EVERYWHERE.  :laugh:

Seriously - the Swedish Vikings went east to present day Russia, and many settled there.  The Norwegian Vikings went west and clearly spread their seed all over Great Britain as they went.

It's not surprising that most people with European ancestry have some Scandinavian in the mix.

I seriously need to go back farther with my ancestry.  I know that everyone was living in Sweden, or one grandmother in the Swedish part of Finland, as far back as the 18th century, but I haven't gone back any farther than that, and need to do that.

(My brown eyes came from somewhere! LOL!)

@catfish1957

@musiclady

It was more than just being invaded and over run by those damn Northerners that kept the pot boiling between the Angles/Saxons and the Norse.

One of the oldest, and bitterest points of contention in all human history.

The women in the British Isles preferred the Viking men to their own, because the Vikings Smelled Better!

It was too Cold in Scandinavia to live covered in dried sweat.

Vikings knew it would kill them, so they bathed and steamed themselves more often.

888high58888
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline musiclady

« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2018, 06:55:17 pm »

@musiclady

It was more than just being invaded and over run by those damn Northerners that kept the pot boiling between the Angles/Saxons and the Norse.

One of the oldest, and bitterest points of contention in all human history.

The women in the British Isles preferred the Viking men to their own, because the Vikings Smelled Better!

It was too Cold in Scandinavia to live covered in dried sweat.

Vikings knew it would kill them, so they bathed and steamed themselves more often.

888high58888

That is a beautiful fun fact to tell the family!

Women prefer Norsemen because they smell better!   :laugh:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.