General Category > General Discussion

Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage

<< < (3/87) > >>

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 03, 2016, 02:37:16 pm ---You are most welcome!  When I saw that someone had suggested doing this I jumped right on it!  One of the main reasons I thought it might be useful here is that there are folks from all over the place on TBR and we may be able to help each other in overcoming roadblocks! 

For instance I need help with a man named Alexander Wren who was born somewhere along the James River in Virginia around the year 1772.

--- End quote ---

You are right.  Scant info on this guy.  I will look further.
Alexander Wren

Birth:  1772 - USA
Death:  Virginia, United States
Marriage:  21 Dec 1785 - Greensville, Virginia, United States
Spouse:  Lucy Lawrence

Bigun:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on June 03, 2016, 02:32:21 pm ---Have used FTDNA and Ancestry's dna tests with great results.  I think FTDNA is more competent in the field, but Ancestry's tools for matches beat FTDNA hands down.  Have you taken the plunge at FTDNA with Big Y yet?  Been a bust here so far.  My drilled down to a finite haplogroup that has about only 3 other members, and none have my surname.  :(

--- End quote ---

No I haven't. I have done the 67 marker test and see no reason to do more than that at this time.  (I am lucky enough to have a friend from my former place of employment that has a PHD in genetics and he advises me on such things.)

Bigun:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on June 03, 2016, 02:42:26 pm ---You are right.  Scant info on this guy.  I will look further.
Alexander Wren

Birth:  1772 - USA
Death:  Virginia, United States
Marriage:  21 Dec 1785 - Greensville, Virginia, United States
Spouse:  Lucy Lawrence

--- End quote ---

They are my fourth great grandparents on my father's side and any help you can provide in finding out anything more about him will be greatly appreciated.  (I suspect that not much will ever be found unless we find a family bible or something like that as I doubt there are many official records from that area in that era.)

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 03, 2016, 02:47:06 pm ---They are my fourth great grandparents on my father's side and any help you can provide in finding out anything more about him will be greatly appreciated.  (I suspect that not much will ever be found unless we find a family bible or something like that as I doubt there are many official records from that area in that era.)

--- End quote ---

I noticed that there are several Wrens in the Greensville County area in the 1700's.  Hmmmm....

1. Any dna matches to other Wrens?
2. If he was a land owner, have you checked the land plat maps of that county, and see if there was a neighboring Wren?  Back in those days, chunks were often cut off the father's larger section, and dispersed to children
3. Any siblings or children which may have surname sounding first names?  Often a clue.

pookie18:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 03, 2016, 01:57:28 pm ---Genealogy - Getting to know your Heritage.

This Thread is posted for  discussion of Genealogy or the study of one's Heritage.

I personally think it to be one of the most important undertakings one can engage in and besides that I LOVE it!

Free accounts available at http://myheritage.com

--- End quote ---

Thanks for starting the thread, Bigun!

My wife's tree (3,513) as well as my mother's (706) is at Ancestry/Family Tree Maker. My Dad's (179) is on My Heritage/Family Tree Builder.

I started doing this about 6 mos. after my mother died in 2008. My first cousin had been doing it for years & had interviewed my mother several times, but neither had ever told me that any of that had been going on. After I found out, it was too late to discuss things with my mother.

On my father's side, I have a first cousin whose second marriage was to Lawrence Cowen.

This was Lawrence's father:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Lionel_Cowen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version