General Category > General Discussion

Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage

<< < (4/87) > >>

Bigun:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on June 03, 2016, 03:16:21 pm ---I noticed that there are several Wrens in the Greensville County area in the 1700's.  Hmmmm....

1. Any dna matches to other Wrens?
2. If he was a land owner, have you checked the land plat maps of that county, and see if there was a neighboring Wren?  Back in those days, chunks were often cut off the father's larger section, and dispersed to children
3. Any siblings or children which may have surname sounding first names?  Often a clue.

--- End quote ---

1. Unfortunately no (unless I'm missing something)!  My grandmother was a Wren and I have not yet found any male Wrens from that line who have submitted a DNA sample.  No luck with the Autosomal test either although I have found some cousins that way.

2. I know that both the Wrens and Carters (my father) owned large tracts of land that nearly adjoined each other along the James River in the pre revolutionary war era but my grandparents are the first that I have been able to find who married.  Unfortunately I have NOT yet been able to get to Virginia and do the kind of record research needed there. That's part of why I brought it up here.

3. Not that I have been able to find.  There are two different George Washington Wrens (Descendants of Alexander) in the line but nothing else like that.

MACVSOG68:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 03, 2016, 02:37:16 pm ---You are most welcome!  When I saw that someone had suggested doing this I jumped right on it!  One of the main reasons I thought it might be useful here is that there are folks from all over the place on TBR and we may be able to help each other in overcoming roadblocks! 

For instance I need help with a man named Alexander Wren who was born somewhere along the James River in Virginia around the year 1772.

--- End quote ---

Bigun, thanks for setting this thread up.  I have accounts at ancestry.com and myheritage.  The DNA at ancestry has linked me to a number of cousins from first on through fourth.  BTW, my heritage does have some records on Alexander Wren:

https://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-1/myheritage-family-trees?s=148604651&itemId=175863341-5-2225&action=showRecord

Apparently there are multiple trees and some records that have him listed. 

Thanks again for starting this thread.  :patriot:

Bigun:

--- Quote from: MACVSOG68 on June 03, 2016, 04:19:18 pm ---Bigun, thanks for setting this thread up.  I have accounts at ancestry.com and myheritage.  The DNA at ancestry has linked me to a number of cousins from first on through fourth.  BTW, my heritage does have some records on Alexander Wren:

https://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-1/myheritage-family-trees?s=148604651&itemId=175863341-5-2225&action=showRecord

Apparently there are multiple trees and some records that have him listed. 

Thanks again for starting this thread.  :patriot:

--- End quote ---

Thanks MAC!

I had an account there as well until recently.  They have what I have but no more that I could find. (I find that site much more difficult to use than the others for some reason.)

ExFreeper:
Thanks for starting this discussion.  I have been researching my family history for many years including hours upon hours at the DAR library in DC as well as the Archives in Annapolis, MD.  I've traced my American ancestors back to early 1650s in MD/VA.  Thus far, I just can't prove the official (i.e. documented) link to the old world as of yet.

MACVSOG68:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 03, 2016, 04:35:47 pm ---Thanks MAC!

I had an account there as well until recently.  They have what I have but no more that I could find. (I find that site much more difficult to use than the others for some reason.)

--- End quote ---

You're welcome and good luck on your search.  I do use that site from time to time, and I did notice they had some links to other sites for Mr. Wren.  Anyway, I agree with those here who recommend talking to the older ones in our family.  That would now be me, and I'm trying to answer any questions my family may one day have.  I wish to this day I would have followed that sage advice, but in any case, working through both Ancestry and Heritage as well as DNA, have put together five generations complete, and some going back farther than that.

My mother's side was Irish and all came over in the late 1840s on the famine ships.  My father's side was almost all English.  What a difference.  The Irish side is extremely difficult to trace earlier than the late 1700s; the English side on some names can trace back to the Normans.  Better record keeping I guess. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version