Author Topic: Muhammad Ali, boxing champion and global good-will ambassador, dies at 74  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Blizzardnh

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Boxing legend Muhammad Ali has been hospitalized and is being treated for a respiratory issue, according to a family spokesperson.

"Ali, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease, is being treated by his team of doctors and is in fair condition," wrote family spokesman Bob Gunnell in a written statement.  "A brief hospital stay is expected. At this time, the Muhammad Ali family respectfully requests privacy."

Stay with WDRB News. We'll update this story as it develops.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/32125118/muhammad-ali-hospitalized-for-treatment-of-respiratory-issue

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://nypost.com/2016/06/03/muhammad-ali-in-worse-shape-than-earlier-hospital-stays-insiders/

Sports
Muhammad Ali placed on life support

By Chris Perez

June 3, 2016 | 1:41pm | Updated

Muhammad Ali has been placed on life support — and his family fears that it “likely won’t be long until he passes away,” according to a report.

The 74-year-old boxing legend was hospitalized in Scottsdale, Ariz., for a respiratory issue on Thursday and insiders tell Radar Online that his loved ones are now rushing to his side because it appears his condition has worsened.

“He needs every bit of fight he’s got left to survive,” a source told the website. “Doctors are telling the family that it likely won’t be long until he passes away.”

Another source said Ali’s vitals “are terrible” at the moment and he is currently relying on medical help to breathe.

His rep told the Associated Press on Thursday that the respiratory problems that the former heavyweight champion was facing had been complicated by the Parkinson’s disease he was diagnosed with in the 1980s.

continued
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:21:45 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

... and he's gone.

Offline Blizzardnh

Offline verga

He was the greatest, Rest in Peace.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Leto

Very sad news but after all the hits he took over his years boxing 74 is a pretty good run.

RIP Ali
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Online Lando Lincoln

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:04:43 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:22:26 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
My condolences; it certainly came on sudden.

For years, it seemed he was suffering from maladies indeed.

Offline TomSea

Offline TomSea

At times, I think we was the most recognizable face on the planet so they say.

Online mountaineer

From Franklin Graham on his Facebook page:

The world has lost a champion. Muhammad Ali was considered by many as the greatest boxer of all time. His career began during a difficult period in our country with the racial tensions of the 1960s and the Vietnam War. His outspoken positions caused him to be both loved and hated by some. I had the privilege of meeting him on several occasions, and he visited at my parents' home in Montreat, North Carolina. Muhammad Ali’s father brought him to visit my father Billy Graham because he was concerned over Ali’s faith in Islam and was afraid that his son had been led astray. They had a great visit, and my father had prayer with him. They met together again several years ago in Louisville, Kentucky, when my father was there to preach. My prayers are with his family as they mourn this loss.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SirLinksALot

Muhammad Ali was considered by many as the greatest boxer of all time

Not to diminish his greatness, but could he have defeated Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano at their prime?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:04:57 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Good riddance to treasonous and cowardly Muslim trash. Damn shame it didn't happen 50 years ago.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He was the greatest, Rest in Peace.

No,he was adequate,and VERY careful about who he agreed to fight.

The Greatest Boxer of the 20th Century was Rocky Marciano.

Offline uglybiker

But there were things even he couldn't beat.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4tJo0K2l1Q
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Not to diminish his greatness, but could he have defeated Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano at their prime?

Don't know about Joe Louis,but Rocky knocked his ass out when they were filming that boxing video game,and Rocky was a old man long-retired at the time.

According to the producer,he hired them both to do a fake boxing match where no actual hard punches were thrown so he could record their moves to make the video game realistic,but Rocky warned Ali twice about throwing hard punches to the face,and the third time he did it,Rocky put him on his ass. Once Ali could stand again and remember his name,there were no more hard punches thrown at Rocky for the remainder of the recording.

What got Cassius Clay so pissed at America to start with is after winning the Oympics boxing Gold Medal,he came back home and bought new Harley's for him and his brother. The first time they took off riding them,some white guys beat them up and stole their Harley's.

What Clay was in the ring and out of the ring was be a VERY smart boxer and he could take an amazing amount of punishment. Make no mistake about it,he was genuinely tough. Any damn fool can throw punches,but you have to be seriously and genuinely tough to take some of the punches he took and still be able to fight back.

IMHO,he wasn't really all that good,though. What he did was run his mouth and really,REALLY piss off his opponent to the point the opponent would lose his cool and throw his strategy out the window. Then he could wear out his opponent by letting him throw punches that mostly hit his arms,and when the guy was too tired to really defend himself,he would then step in and start hammering him. He mostly beat his opponents by out-thinking them and getting them psyched out before the fight even started. Better to fight smart than it is to fight hard.

He never agreed to fight anyone he thought could beat him,and even then Ernie Shavers beat  him so badly in the match that Clay finally gave him when he was really too old to fight at that level that even I was feeling sorry for him. I remember thinking "DAMN! It should be illegal to hit ANYBODY that hard,even Clay!" If you have never seen that fight,try to find a video of it. I didn't even know it was possible to hit that hard. It's a little scary to even watch it. Ernie Shavers was an animal,and after watching that fight you will know why all the top boxers avoided giving him matches when he was younger. You can't get a title if no one will give you a title match.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Back in 1973 or 74, I once saw Muhammad Ali casually walking down F Street NW...stopping to look in shop windows. 

He was followed/surrounded by at least 2 dozen...kids, really....nobody in the crowd was older than 18...that's for sure.

Always smiling...I'll never forget it.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

I hope they don't make his funeral into a show piece for the race hucksters. I suspect Jesse Jackson will be front and center.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

From Franklin Graham on his Facebook page:

The world has lost a champion. Muhammad Ali was considered by many as the greatest boxer of all time. His career began during a difficult period in our country with the racial tensions of the 1960s and the Vietnam War. His outspoken positions caused him to be both loved and hated by some. I had the privilege of meeting him on several occasions, and he visited at my parents' home in Montreat, North Carolina. Muhammad Ali’s father brought him to visit my father Billy Graham because he was concerned over Ali’s faith in Islam and was afraid that his son had been led astray. They had a great visit, and my father had prayer with him. They met together again several years ago in Louisville, Kentucky, when my father was there to preach. My prayers are with his family as they mourn this loss.

Nice statement by Franklin Graham.

I'm sure Billy made the truth clear to him, and he heard it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:44:04 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

I hope they don't make his funeral into a show piece for the race hucksters. I suspect Jesse Jackson will be front and center.
Yeah,  it may be a circus.   **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Yeah,  it may be a circus.   **nononono*

Jesse will certainly try to make it so.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline goatprairie

Louis would have been the toughest test. Louis could really move and had a tremendous punch.
Marciano was known for being a tremendous puncher as well, but he took a lot of punishment to get his shots in.
Plus, Rocky was 5'11, only weighed about 185-190 lbs and had a  short reach. He didn't have great foot speed either. He relied on boring in, taking a lot punishment, and eventually wearing down his opponents. He had a lot of stamina and a strong jaw. He usually only needed a punch or two  to take out his opponent if he got an opening.
In his prime Ali would have been a difficult opponent for Marciano to reach. Ali was the fastest h-weight up to his time. Marciano retired undefeated, but he fought Louis when Louis was well past his prime. He almost to lost to Jersey Joe Walcott in a famous fight with Marciano knocking Walcott out in the 13th round after being down on points. If he hadn't knocked Walcott out, he would have lost. Walcott was a smart fighter, but didn't have the punch to go toe to toe with Marciano. His strategy almost worked.  But Marciano finally tired him out in the 13th round and caught him with a short right that knocked Walcott out.
Ali was faster than Walcott and would have employed the same strategy against Marciano as he did against Joe Frazier. Dance around, deliver hundreds of jabs, and stay away until Marciano got tired. The Ali who fought Frazier in 1971 was not the same Ali who had fought four or five years earlier. He had lost a lot foot speed by the time he fought Frazier for the first time.
Louis would presented a different problem. He was about Ali's size and moved much better than Marciano. Plus, he had a tremendous punch himself.  Maybe not as strong as Liston's, but very strong and he moved a lot better than Liston.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:17:07 pm by goatprairie »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

They will. I think the law now requires them to do this.