Author Topic: Official says Prince died of opioid overdose, AP reports  (Read 456 times)

HAPPY2BME

Official says Prince died of opioid overdose, AP reports
« on: June 02, 2016, 04:59:38 pm »
http://wgntv.com/2016/06/02/official-says-prince-died-of-opioid-overdose-ap-reports/

Posted 11:07 AM, June 2, 2016, by Associated Press, Updated at 11:08am, June 2, 2016

CHICAGO — A law-enforcement official tells The Associated Press that tests show the music superstar died of an opioid overdose.

The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate.

Offline goatprairie

Re: Official says Prince died of opioid overdose, AP reports
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 05:27:27 pm »
Boy, that's sure a shocker. I never would have guessed that a rock and roll star (or whatever you want to call Prince's music) would be involved with drugs. /s

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 05:37:16 pm »
I understood that he was prescribed these meds for pain from an injury.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:49:29 pm »

It has been widely reported that he was NOT a alcohol, drug using type.  He DID come to use prescription pain meds, and got in over his head it appears.

Having had ONE negative experience when using prescription pain meds, I can EMPATHIZE with how it could happen.

The most widespread abuse of prescription pain meds, occurs with silver haired senior citizens, like ME.

It is a shortcoming of our medical profession, to not do MORE to get people off the damn things.

And finally many of the opioids are mixed with Tylenol, and warnings are given about how much Tylenol to ingest, for it too can kill you.

Take those warnings very seriously. I know of a young man, legitimate opioid prescription for severe spinal injury, got strung out, took too much. And guess what? It wasn't the pain med which killed him. It was the Tylenol.

I'm cutting Prince slack. His music colleagues rated him among the best.

Eric Clapton was asked what it was like to be the best guitar play, and answered they needed to ask Prince.

There is a second epidemic, which is heroin. This is moreso with younger people. First prescription pain meds, from whatever source. But eventually leads to heroin which is cheaper and easier to obtain.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 09:05:38 pm »
It has been widely reported that he was NOT a alcohol, drug using type.  He DID come to use prescription pain meds, and got in over his head it appears.

Having had ONE negative experience when using prescription pain meds, I can EMPATHIZE with how it could happen.

The most widespread abuse of prescription pain meds, occurs with silver haired senior citizens, like ME.

It is a shortcoming of our medical profession, to not do MORE to get people off the damn things.

And finally many of the opioids are mixed with Tylenol, and warnings are given about how much Tylenol to ingest, for it too can kill you.

Take those warnings very seriously. I know of a young man, legitimate opioid prescription for severe spinal injury, got strung out, took too much. And guess what? It wasn't the pain med which killed him. It was the Tylenol.

I'm cutting Prince slack. His music colleagues rated him among the best.

Eric Clapton was asked what it was like to be the best guitar play, and answered they needed to ask Prince.

There is a second epidemic, which is heroin. This is moreso with younger people. First prescription pain meds, from whatever source. But eventually leads to heroin which is cheaper and easier to obtain.

============================

IIRC, Prince had been a candidate for back surgery for years, but refused it.

I have a good friend who has been a solid man in every way all his life who injured his back with pain so severe he seriously contemplated suicide.  Fortunately he has found the right 'mix' of steroids and pain meds to at least function.  He can't have surgery due to complications of a weak heart threatening to fail under sedation.

My wife went through it as well.  Her's was corrected by surgery and some metal on her L5.  She's completely back to normal again, thank God.

My sister suffered from cancer for eight long years.  She was on a morphine pack for most of it, which required it being issued and refilled by a RN.  The RN once picked up a refill and decided to stop off at her house to 'test it' before taking it to my sister.  The dosage was so powerful, it killed her graveyard dead.  They found her laying on her bed with the needle still in her arm.

I don't judge Prince.

I felt sorry for him.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 10:24:52 pm »
I was at my nephew’s house over the Memorial Day weekend for a cookout.

While only in his mid-30’s and pretty fit and health conscious, my nephew has been struggling with back pain for years (seems it runs in the family – both me and his dad (my brother) have back problems). 

Anyway, he’d gone to the orthopedic the week before and in fact was scheduled for an MRI today to determine if his herniated disk has gotten worse or if he has spinal stenosis (what his dad had) and whether or not he needs surgery. The doctor gave him an Rx for Oxycodone and a muscle relaxer.

He, his dad and I were trading stories about our respective back issues (mine problem is several compressed disks and a severely tilted pelvis – more a nerve and muscle problem, not any herniated disks – not yet) and also about pain meds we’d been on for short times – the Oxycodone my nephew was on (which I was also on that for a few days after oral surgery for an abscessed tooth) and Percocet (I had that one time for a very severe bout with my back along with a muscle relaxer) and Vicodin (what my brother had before and after is spinal stenosis surgery – although he got morphine the hospital).  We all agreed that pain meds are great and a real God send when you need them, but we also all agreed that we could understand how easy it would be to become addicted. Ironically we also talked about Prince.

After I got through the worst of the pain of that last really bad back flair up back in 2003 and after I got through the worst of the pain of the abscessed tooth in 2008 – both times I flushed the remaining pill down the toilet. It wasn’t that I’d become addicted to them but recognized that I sort started to like the “feeling”.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 11:25:41 pm »

That’s my understanding too. Had been taking Percocet for years and became addicted and then got ahold of (or was prescribed) stronger and stronger drugs like the fentanyl he OD’d on.

As to the senior citizens, anecdotally, my brother and his wife recently moved here to PA from NJ where they had been living in a large retirement community near the Jersey Shore (lots of them in that area).

One day he and my SIL were at the local liquor store. Neither are big drinkers but IIRC were buying a bottle of wine for dinner – maybe their anniversary?  My brother noticed the large number of seniors in the store, some with grocery carts stocking up on cheap brandy and whisky.  None of them looked like your typical boozers however if you know what I mean. My brother asked the liquor store owner and he told my brother that they were stocking up on their pain meds. He told my brother that according to what many of his elderly customers had told him, doctors were becoming more and more reluctant to prescribe opioid pain meds for chronic conditions like severe arthritis or even to cancer patients because of the scrutiny they were now under, the risk of losing their medical license if they wrote too many scripts for opioids, so those in chronic pain were using booze for pain relief.

So sorry to hear that.

As I understand (and I could be wrong), but one of the reasons opioids like Oxycodone and Percocet contain Tylenol (acetaminophen) is to discourage people from taking too much and overdosing. It could also be to increase the effectiveness of the drug without using as much opioids. Maybe both.

But in any case, the toxicity and danger of too much acetaminophen, enough to cause liver damage, is typically but not always, when people take a drug already containing acetaminophen and then take an OTC like Tylenol and or consume alcohol in large quantities at the same time or very recently before or after. This also sometimes happens with OTC cold and flu and some allergy meds – people may not know that the OTC cough med they bought also contains Tylenol and take Tylenol for aches and fever. Always check the labels.

http://www.knowyourdose.org/common-medicines/

There is a second epidemic, which is heroin. This is more so with younger people. First prescription pain meds, from whatever source. But eventually leads to heroin which is cheaper and easier to obtain.

I live in central PA and have been working in a very small and quaint town in rural Lancaster County. I was shocked to learn how prevalent heroin is there. My former boss had two great nieces who had recently graduated from HS when I started working there a few years ago, they fortunately never got into drugs but told their great aunt how cheap and readily available it was, how it was nearly openly sold in their HS, and how many people they knew, kids from middle and upper middle class families, good church going families, who got hooked and how it often started with taking opioid pills, sometimes stolen from the family medicine cabinet. 

It is such a difficult problem. On one hand I don’t think people with severe pain should be left to suffer. I’ve even heard of cases were late stage terminal cancer patients could not get opioids except in a hospital or in hospice care because of the concern of “addiction”.  Chronic pain can sometimes be alleviated by means other than opioids like physical therapy or steroid injections or even non-traditional thinks like acupuncture, massage or radiofrequency ablation but that doesn’t always work.

On the other hand, there is an epidemic of opioid (and heroin) abuse and some unscrupulous doctors who prescribe opioids out like candy give refills without concern regarding addiction or recognizing the signs. Then again addicts can be very slick about covering up their addition and do things like Dr. and pharmacy shopping.

I don't have an answer.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause