Author Topic: BREAKING: Kristol Eyes Conservative Lawyer David French for Independent Presidential Run  (Read 19425 times)

Wingnut

Has The Trumpas Tweeted a witty comment yet about Mr. French?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Has The Trumpas Tweeted a witty comment yet about Mr. French?

I predict he'll call him a loser for only getting a bronze star instead of a gold one.

Offline MACVSOG68

The probability of a previously unknown person winning outright is zero.

The probability of a previously unknown person splitting the conservative vote and insuring a win for the democrats is substantial.

That has to be Kristol's goal. That it can be otherwise is unrealistic.

The plan isn't as ridiculous as it appears at first glance.  The first plan was/is to keep Trump from winning on the first ballot.  That plan probably won't work.  The back-up plan is this one, or one similar.  It's not to win an election, but if Trump and Hillary are close which seems likely, it is to try to take enough electoral votes from a handful of states to throw the election into the House, where Trump simply won't get the nod.  Yes, it's dangerous, as it was in 1992.  However there are differences.  The Country is far more divided today, a significant part of the GOP doesn't want Trump, and both candidates are seen as unlikable by majorities.  Bill Clinton was viewed favorably in '92, though GHW Bush was viewed net unfavorably, not as much as today's presumptive nominees. 

If Sanders beats Hillary, this plan likely wouldn't work, as his net favorables are high.  People generally vote for the more likeable candidate.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
What if French, like everyone else so far, says no?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

The plan isn't as ridiculous as it appears at first glance.  The first plan was/is to keep Trump from winning on the first ballot.  That plan probably won't work.  The back-up plan is this one, or one similar.  It's not to win an election, but if Trump and Hillary are close which seems likely, it is to try to take enough electoral votes from a handful of states to throw the election into the House, where Trump simply won't get the nod.  Yes, it's dangerous, as it was in 1992.  However there are differences.  The Country is far more divided today, a significant part of the GOP doesn't want Trump, and both candidates are seen as unlikable by majorities.  Bill Clinton was viewed favorably in '92, though GHW Bush was viewed net unfavorably, not as much as today's presumptive nominees. 

If Sanders beats Hillary, this plan likely wouldn't work, as his net favorables are high.  People generally vote for the more likeable candidate.

With whom are Sanders net favorables high?  So far it seems mostly the DNC primary voters, who are not the general electorate. 

Offline sinkspur

Pretty sure no French supporters are going to tell Jews that they belong in ovens.......
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Sweet Meteor O'Death
‏@smod2016

The first Twitter confrontation between David French and Elizabeth Warren shall be known as the "French & Indian War"
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Silver Pines

Jonah Goldberg ‏@JonahNRO  4m4 minutes ago

So: Supporting statist billionaire/Dem-crony-donor from NY=populist.
Considering devout Christian veteran from rural Tennessee: Elitist.

Sad!

Seriously, I'm interested.  I'll listen to what the guy has to say if he takes up the challenge.  And I'll be reading his work.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Sweet Meteor O'Death
‏@smod2016

The first Twitter confrontation between David French and Elizabeth Warren shall be known as the "French & Indian War"

And, his twitter name is pretty good, too!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
In before the Trump.

Yes, it is a joke, or a prediction. You choose.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The Orange Menace is like Smaug from The Hobbit. Don't wake the Beast.

Offline mountaineer

What if French, like everyone else so far, says no?
I'm just now getting into this story,  but has French made any statement of any sort? If he had a burning desire to be president,  it would have been helpful to start before now.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

In before the Trump.

Yes, it is a joke, or a prediction. You choose.

My money is on The man with no self control.  The Hugungus! Our Lord Hugungus! The Warrior of the GOP! The Ayatollah of Shit and Shinolla.

Offline MACVSOG68

With whom are Sanders net favorables high?  So far it seems mostly the DNC primary voters, who are not the general electorate.

The RCP average for Sanders is an eleven point net favorable.  Right now RCP has him defeating Trump by an average of ten points.  Not just primary voters.  You would probably have to look at each of the polls reflected in the RCP averages.  BTW, he also beats Cruz, another candidate with net unfavorables.  But this isn't yet the general election season, and I believe Trump would much rather run against Hillary. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Strange that people are laughing at Kristol for trying to get an actual conservative in the race, but nobody's laughing that Trump might get the nuclear codes.

Drama Queen, much?   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
RUMOR: Bill Kristol’s Third Party Candidate has been Identified, and it is…

According to Bloomberg Politics, people who are close to Bill Kristol have identified the third party candidate he has recruited to run against Trump and Clinton, and it is… "http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-05-31/kristol-eyes-conservative-lawyer-for-independent-presidential-run".
Two Republicans intimately familiar with Bill Kristol’s efforts to recruit an independent presidential candidate to challenge Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have told Bloomberg Politics that the person Kristol has in mind is David French — whose name the editor of the Weekly Standard floated in the current issue of the magazine.
French is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom. According to the website of National Review, where French is a staff writer, he is a constitutional lawyer, a recipient of the Bronze Star, and an author of several books who lives in Columbia, Tenn., with his wife Nancy and three children.
Reached in Israel late Tuesday afternoon, Kristol declined to comment on his efforts to induce French to run. The two Republicans confirmed that French is open to launching a bid, but that he has not made a final decision. One of the Republicans added that French has not lined up a vice-presidential running mate or significant financial support. However, according to this person, some conservative donors look favorably on the prospect of French entering the fray.

http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2016/05/31/rumor-bill-kristols-third-party-candidate-identified-is.../

I am not familiar with this person but I think a real Veteran is a great idea.  A Constitutional lawyer........
Let me see circus clown or Constitutional Lawyer who happens to be a Veteran?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435971/barack-obama-hiroshima-speech-was-wrong

David French.  I guess I probably have read articles by him.  Just read this one and it is a great piece on Obama's shameful apologies.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Norm Lenhart

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435971/barack-obama-hiroshima-speech-was-wrong

David French.  I guess I probably have read articles by him.  Just read this one and it is a great piece on Obama's shameful apologies.

His NR Bio looks really good. Name is familiar. Hope he pans out. Seems to be way to conservative for someone like Kristol though.

Offline Chosen Daughter

His NR Bio looks really good. Name is familiar. Hope he pans out. Seems to be way to conservative for someone like Kristol though.

Going to be interesting.  Buckle up!  Sounds good to me.  I guess we are going to see how people react.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Going to be interesting.  Buckle up!  Sounds good to me.  I guess we are going to see how people react.

I'm cautiously optimistic. VERY cautious. But unless he's some abortion backer or wants gays to have special rights, something blatantly evil, then he'll probably become my default vote.

What will be interesting is if he is in fact a solid conservative, is watching Trump supporters justify tearing HIM down and STILL claim to be conservatives. Two conservatives in one campaign? Yup. Gonna be hard to stay hidden behind their already transparent fig leaf.

Maybe they'll come out of the closet and admit they are at best, moderates so actual conservatives wont have them as an anchor weighing us down going forward.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:29:56 am by Norm Lenhart »

• Technical
Can this guy get on the ballot in 50 states?

Offline Norm Lenhart

Can this guy get on the ballot in 50 states?

I'd imagine that if they are trial ballooning him that they think they can get him on otherwise there's little point. Anyone that was undecided/Trump leaning will just revert/vote for Trump anyway of they couldn't get him on 50. Thus why even bother? There would be no gain for a lot of wasted cash.

Offline Norm Lenhart

I just went to his twitter account and the vile comments by trump supporters blew me away....name calling, crude remarks about his wife

User Actions   
 Follow

wguy13
‏@wguy13
The family of @DavidAFrench must be targeted. Using @BillKristol own words. "Make it worth it"...

@DavidAFrench traitor you will insure Clinton wins.  You should be embarrassed. Get a life

@DavidAFrench I'm plowing your wife right now.

@DavidAFrench someone should stand athwart your bleep weird ass face and yell "STOP"

As sure as night follows day. Animals.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Doesn't need to be on ballot of all 50 states. 270 electoral votes will put you in office or the house will if no one has the 270.

Sure but realistically if you go, you go for the gold. Imagine the PR value to Trump-arry if he's not on all 50. The idiots who vote in this country would just discount him never thinking past that like they don't think past anything else..

• Technical
Sure but realistically if you go, you go for the gold. Imagine the PR value to Trump-arry if he's not on all 50. The idiots who vote in this country would just discount him never thinking past that like they don't think past anything else..

Exactly. Why vote for someone who's not in the ballot on all 50? (not my own POV, just saying)

Although I heard that the most vulnerable Trump state is Utah, and if this guy gets in there, Hillary probably won't pull Utah.

If the EV is close, then pull Utah from Trump's column might be enough to throw it into the House, something that hasn't happened since the "Corrupt Bargain" election in 1820.

Crazy.

Even crazier is if the Senate goes Dem and votes for a Dem VP. Yes it could happen.

Or if the HoR cannot decide we could get interim President Joe Biden.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:00:23 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »