Author Topic: Trump ripped over how he referred to Memorial Day at Rolling Thunder event  (Read 1070 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
There's so many of these threads out there but I don't think this was covered and it seems somewhat significant; I am not generally critical of the Donald but this isn't right.

Trump ripped over how he referred to Memorial Day at Rolling Thunder event

Donald Trump spoke to a gathering of Rolling Thunder participants Sunday afternoon in Washington. When talking about Memorial Day, this is how he referred to it. Watch:

"Memorial Day... it's our day and we have to be very proud of it and we are very proud of it."

http://twitchy.com/jacobb-38/2016/05/29/trump-ripped-over-how-he-referred-to-memorial-day-at-rolling-thunder-event/

Offline markomalley

No, Donald, it's not your day.

It's not my day either (21 year vet speaking).

It's the day for those who gave their all for the country. And if your narcissistic worldview doesn't allow you to understand that, maybe you should go back to "reality TV".

Offline sinkspur

Of course it's Trump's day.  Trump makes everything about Trump.  Egotistical narcissist sociopath.

It's really hard to refrain from characterizing Trump's supporters. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Of course it's Trump's day.  Trump makes everything about Trump.  Egotistical narcissist sociopath.

It's really hard to refrain from characterizing Trump's supporters.

Trump would make it his day but he is really quite ignorant.  He does not know the real meaning of Memorial Day.

He is ignorant on many subjects... practically all of them, in fact.

How did we do this???
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I don't see the problem. It is clear and obvious to all that he was 'proud' that Americans have a day to honor their fallen heroes, and he was proud to be there being honored by his fellow Americans on this important day. It is no more enigmatic than that, although it may have been said inelegantly. The way Trump is being treated by the press reminds me very much of how they treated G.W. Bush, every time Bush said something that was not stated clearly enough for them or in the way they preferred. They called them "Bushisms".

The only people quote "ripping" him are the same people who would 'rip' him in any case, even if he said, "God Bless America!".

But, again, we have to recognize what a quantum step Trump is over Mullah Hussein. Obama didn't even know that there was a 'Memorial Day' before he was elected, much less did he care about what it was or what it was for. So, there is that.

Baby steps people, before we can get back to normal (if that is even possible any more).
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Trump would make it his day but he is really quite ignorant.  He does not know the real meaning of Memorial Day.

How did we do this???

Trump won with the help of the media who gave him over a billion dollars of free coverage, by shrewdly seeing the opportunity to tap into the rightful anger of the working people of this country, and by hateful invective against a very large field of candidates (that fractured the vote.) He engaged in name calling, insults, mockery, and some of the worst smear tactics in recent times, and since his opponents did not sink to his level (except Rubio) they had no answer for these sleazy tactics.

There is a large percentage of conservatives who will not compromise their principles for this ignorant NY liberal narcissistic bully.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline sinkspur

Baby steps people, before we can get back to normal (if that is even possible any more).

Trump is 70 years old. He's not some neophyte child.  And he wants to be lead the country.

His "inelegant" language is indicative of an ill-prepared mind, a man who speaks off the cuff who really shouldn't.

Trump is ignorant of so many things, but he is most ignorant of what he doesn't know.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I don't see the problem. It is clear and obvious to all that he was 'proud' that Americans have a day to honor their fallen heroes, and he was proud to be there being honored by his fellow Americans on this important day. It is no more enigmatic than that, although it may have been said inelegantly. The way Trump is being treated by the press reminds me very much of how they treated G.W. Bush, every time Bush said something that was not stated clearly enough for them or in the way they preferred. They called them "Bushisms".

The only people quote "ripping" him are the same people who would 'rip' him in any case, even if he said, "God Bless America!".

But, again, we have to recognize what a quantum step Trump is over Mullah Hussein. Obama didn't even know that there was a 'Memorial Day' before he was elected, much less did he care about what it was or what it was for. So, there is that.

I follow your logic and thought of similar as well; at most this can be graded a "faux pas"; I do see how through a line of reasoning, one could say, Trump was just talking about an American holiday at that. It just came off odd and this is not even a major news outfit publishing this though apparently Fox tweeted it. Faux Pas, not much harm or foul.

Good analysis.

I'm sure all of us have said things that didn't come out right in retrospect.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:10:47 am by TomSea »

Offline sinkspur

I follow your logic and thought of similar as well; at most this can be graded a "faux pas"; I do see how through a line of reasoning, one could say, Trump was just talking about an American holiday at that. It just came off odd and this is not even a major news outfit publishing this though apparently Fox tweeted it. Faux Pas, not much harm or foul.

Good analysis.

I'm sure all of us have said things that didn't come out right in retrospect.

That's how Trump got here.  The media and some conservatives acting as if he's a ten year old, excusing his "faux pas." 

I don't want a man in the Oval Office whose every utterance has to be excused because "it just didn't come out right."

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
That's how Trump got here.  The media and some conservatives acting as if he's a ten year old, excusing his "faux pas." 

I don't want a man in the Oval Office whose every utterance has to be excused because "it just didn't come out right."

G.W. spent 8 years like that. There are over a dozen books in the humor section quoting Bush misstatements (granted many of them were fabricated and untrue). The Left had an obsession/hobby with ripping apart everything Bush said looking for any slight or perceived error.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Norm Lenhart

How did we do this???

We got here because gutless unprincipled America hating voters intentionally chose the chance of victory over the principles of America.

It's that simple.

They did it with Romney, they did it with Bhoner and Mitch, they did it excusing every 'pragmatist they voted for and now, with no principles left to call their own, they are doing it with Trump.

Thats what history records. "Lesser evil/no matter what" voting. Thats how we got here. You know who will bitch to high heaven at my comment? The people responsible for the above.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

We're going to keep babystepping ourselves over the cliff!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

We're going to keep babystepping ourselves over the cliff!

Incredible!  Always an excuse.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline OldSaltUSN

Trump is 70 years old. He's not some neophyte child.  And he wants to be lead the country.

His "inelegant" language is indicative of an ill-prepared mind, a man who speaks off the cuff who really shouldn't.

Trump is ignorant of so many things, but he is most ignorant of what he doesn't know.

You should be willing to forgive Trump.  He's not used to playing "conservative", so he slips up quite frequently.  Maybe if he comes back to us when he's say, 90 years old, he'll have it all down pat.

Otherwise, I expect Trump to slip up frequently after January 2017, should he somehow win the Presidency, so much so that the media and progressive left will brand him a "great President" who "grew in office".

Offline OldSaltUSN

G.W. spent 8 years like that. There are over a dozen books in the humor section quoting Bush misstatements (granted many of them were fabricated and untrue). The Left had an obsession/hobby with ripping apart everything Bush said looking for any slight or perceived error.

So, let me get this straight.  First, Trump is supposed to be the reincarnated Gipper, the "amiable dunce", as the progressive leftists liked to call Reagan back in the 1980's.
Now, Trump is "just like" G.W. Bush, and every misspoken, reflexively progressive word out of Trump's mouth is just like Bush's verbal foibles.  Except, I don't recall any progressive words coming from Bush's mouth, except the few areas where he really was a "big government" moderate.  "W" wasn't perfect, but he was twice the President that Obama, Hillary, or Trump could be.

If you can sell that stuff about Trump, though, you have a fantastic career in marketing awaiting you.   Specifically, progressive political consulting.    "Donald Trump, just like Reagan and "W", but even MORE conservative.  He's just UGgggly conservative!"

As for me, not so much, am I buying it.

:bsflag:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:03:22 am by OldSaltUSN »