Author Topic: Mitch McConnell: System would constrain Trump  (Read 930 times)

Offline Mechanicos

Mitch McConnell: System would constrain Trump
« on: May 29, 2016, 01:10:05 pm »
Mitch McConnell: System would constrain Trump

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will support Donald Trump and thinks the business mogul can win the presidency, the Kentucky Republican tells "CBS Sunday Morning."

To people afraid of a Trump presidency, McConnell sees protections in the system to prevent mistakes by the White House occupant.

"What protects us in this country against big mistakes being made is the structure, the Constitution, the institutions," McConnell tells Jan Crawford. "No matter how unusual a personality may be who gets elected to office, there are constraints in this country. You don't get to do anything you want to. So I'm very optimistic about America. I'm not depressed about the nature of the debate."

I met Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., at an event on Friday and asked for his reaction to McConnell's comments. "You don't want your president making mistakes," Nelson said.

The McConnell interview airs at 9 a.m. Sunday on WKMG-Channel 6.

McConnell dismisses concerns about how Trump is dividing to the country.

The senator describes himself as "pretty calm" and says "this is nowhere near the most divisive period in American history."

McConnell is promoting a memoir, "The Long Game," out Tuesday.

[continued]

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-mitch-mcconnell-system-would-constrain-trump-20160527-story.html

Hes right of course: the only time Republicans fight back is with other Republicans.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Mitch McConnell: System would constrain Trump
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »
Are we allowed to post parody and satire w/o clearly identifying it as such?

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 01:35:56 pm »
If this is true, then it is equally true that the system would constrain Clinton.  Therefore this is no argument in favor of the Orange Wonder.

Note to Trumpists:  it's no argument in favor of Trump to say that the rest of us are probably strong enough to stop him from being himself.  That's pretty lame, in fact.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 03:10:00 pm »
If this is true, then it is equally true that the system would constrain Clinton.  Therefore this is no argument in favor of the Orange Wonder.

Note to Trumpists:  it's no argument in favor of Trump to say that the rest of us are probably strong enough to stop him from being himself.  That's pretty lame, in fact.

Exactly.  Plus, I think GOP establishment + Trump = Amnesty.  They are more likely to fight Hillary on it to make it an election issue.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 03:14:49 pm »
Yes, because it worked so well is stopping all of Obama's mistakes. On the other hand, were Trump to do something truly conservative (which i highly doubt) I have absolutely no doubt that the Republicans in Congress would do their best to use the system to stop him.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:32:31 pm »

Have you ever known the GOP to fight a democrat?
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 09:33:52 pm »
Yes, because it worked so well is stopping all of Obama's mistakes. On the other hand, were Trump to do something truly conservative (which i highly doubt) I have absolutely no doubt that the Republicans in Congress would do their best to use the system to stop him.
Apples and Oranges. GOP bends over for Democrats but fights other Republicans tooth and nail. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 09:47:36 pm »
Apples and Oranges. GOP bends over for Democrats but fights other Republicans tooth and nail.

Yeah, thanks for saying the same thing I did in a better way.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 10:59:24 pm »

Nah ... by the Trump becomes POTUS and that is IF he becomes POTUS, he will have joined or bought the Washington cartel.  He will make Congress as ineffective as Barry did.  Washington is broken and is beyond repair.  State level is our only hope.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.