Author Topic: ‘We Are Teaching Them A Lie’ Louisiana Democrat Says Kids Shouldn’t Recite Declaration Of Independence Because It’s Racist  (Read 726 times)

rangerrebew

‘We Are Teaching Them A Lie’ Louisiana Democrat Says Kids Shouldn’t Recite Declaration Of Independence Because It’s Racist

Posted By Casey Harper On 10:07 PM 05/28/2016 In | No Comments

A Louisiana Democrat legislator says students should not recite the Declaration of Independence because it was written when slavery still existed.

Democrat Louisiana lawmaker Barbara Norton argued against a bill that would require fourth through sixth graders to recite a part of the founding document. Norton, who is black, says she fought the bill because the Declaration of Independence was written when blacks were not free, Fox News reports.

“For the Declaration of Independence only Caucasians (were) free, and for you to bring a bill to require that our children will recite the Declaration of Independence, I think it’s a little bit unfair,” Norton said on the floor of the Louisiana House.

Norton went on to say the Declaration was not even “validated” and that the bill was “unfair.” Republican Rep. Valarie Hodges, who presented the bill, shelved it after Norton’s comments.

“I’m not really sure what your intent is, but one thing that I do know is, all men are not created equal,” Norton said to Hodges on the floor. “When I think back in 1776, July the 4th, African Americans were slaves, and for you to bring a bill to request that our children will recite the Declaration, I think its a little bit unfair to us to ask those children to recite something that’s not the truth. For you to ask our children to repeat the Declaration stating that all mens are free, I think that’s unfair.”

“In 1776, Dr. King was not even born,” Norton added. “African Americans were in slavery so since they were in slavery and the Declaration of Independence say we were all created equal, we were not created equal because in 1776 July the 4 I, nor you, nor any of us were born, nor was Dr. King born, so we were in slavery and to to have our children to repeat, to repeat again and again documents that were not even validated, I don’t think that’s fair because we are teaching them a lie.”

See Norton’s full comments.

WATCH:

Send tips to casey@dailycallernewsfoundation.org. Follow Casey on Twitter and like him on Facebook.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/28/we-are-teaching-them-a-lie-louisiana-democrat-says-kids-shouldnt-recite-declaration-of-independence-because-it-is-racist/

Offline Mechanicos

50 U.S. Code § 842 - Proscription of Communist Party, its successors, and subsidiary organizations

The Communist Party of the United States, or any successors of such party regardless of the assumed name, whose object or purpose is to overthrow the Government of the United States, or the government of any State, Territory, District, or possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein by force and violence, are not entitled to any of the rights, privileges, and immunities attendant upon legal bodies created under the jurisdiction of the laws of the United States or any political subdivision thereof; and whatever rights, privileges, and immunities which have heretofore been granted to said party or any subsidiary organization by reason of the laws of the United States or any political subdivision thereof, are terminated: Provided, however, That nothing in this section shall be construed as amending the Internal Security Act of 1950, as amended [50 U.S.C. 781 et seq.]
(Aug. 24, 1954, ch. 886, § 3, 68 Stat. 776.)

Seen any Violent Leftist groups lately?

:huh?:
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The Declaration, at least I believe in some earlier drafts, had some rather un-PC things in the list of greivances part (stuff about Injuns). Are they going to make the kids recite the whole thing? Seems kinda long and the grievances aren't really "teachable moments", just a list of why King George sucked.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
A Louisiana Democrat legislator says students should not recite the Declaration of Independence because it was written when slavery still existed.

So students shouldn't learn anything written before 1865?  Since slavery still exists (not in the US, but certainly in other places) today, perhaps students shouldn't learn anything at all, in this yutz's opinion.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline DiogenesLamp

This is rather funny because the Declaration of Independence is the trigger that ended slavery.   

I have been studying the creation and consequences of the Declaration of Independence for quite some time now,   and it was the catalyst which kick started the abolitionist movement in this nation.

Massachusetts  deliberately and overtly incorporated it into it's Constitution,  and the judiciary immediately ruled that because it stated "all men are created equal"   that slavery was therefore abolished.   

They owe the abolition of slavery to the Declaration,   they are just too stupid to understand this.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Abolishing slavery was actually in the first draft of the Declaration of Ind, but they left it out apparently.

He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither.  This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian King of Great Britain.  Determined to keep open a market where Men should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or restrain this execrable commerce.  And that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people on whom he has obtruded them: thus paying off former crimes committed again the Liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another. - See more at: http://www.blackpast.org/primary/declaration-independence-and-debate-over-slavery#sthash.7qMf2V28.dpuf

Offline DiogenesLamp

Abolishing slavery was actually in the first draft of the Declaration of Ind, but they left it out apparently.

In 1776,  all 13 colonies were slave states.  There were no free states. 

Kinda stupid to p*ss off all the states you wish to incorporate into a confederacy.   

Wiser heads prevailed.   Had they said anything bad against slavery in 1776,   the coalition would have blown completely apart and the effort to obtain independence would have failed.   

Never the less,  putting those five little words into the document created a ticking time bomb of abolition.    People felt that those words rang true,   but they were inconsistent with the conditions they could see around them.   

It is that meme that gave strength to the abolition movement.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —