Author Topic: Senior gets big apology after city worker seizes his American flags  (Read 485 times)

rangerrebew

Senior gets big apology after city worker seizes his American flags
'Customers tried to grab them out of her hand. She wouldn't give it to them'
Published: 9 hours ago

Ken Dabelstein, 73, is a patriotic businessman who has lined his Westland, Michigan, property with 24 American flags every year for Memorial Day – for 30 years.

But on May 24, he says, a city worker came to his store, Ken’s Country Produce, and claimed the U.S. flags were signage. The worker said Dabelstein was violating the town’s sign ordinance, according to Fox News’ Todd Starnes.
ADVERTISEMENT

“I told him the American flag is not a sign,” Dabelstein told Starnes. “It’s part of being a proud American.”

The issue appeared to be resolved after the worker determined the flags could stay.

But that wasn’t the end of it.

On Thursday, a city ordinance officer confiscated his flags and refused to give them back, Dabelstein said.

“She tore all my flags out – and brought them up to the counter,” the elderly man said.

image: http://www.wnd.com/files/2016/05/Kens-flag.jpg
Ken Dabelstein at Ken's Country Produce on May 27 (Photo: Facebook)

Ken Dabelstein at Ken’s Country Produce on May 27 (Photo: Facebook)

At that point, several customers attempted to get his flags back.

“Customers tried to grab them out of her hand,” he told Fox 2 in Detroit. “She wouldn’t give it to them. She took the flags and literally threw them in the back of her truck.”

Even Dabelstein told news reporters that he went after his flags.

“I came running out here to get the flags, but I’m handicapped,” he said.

But the woman got away with the flags.

That’s when Dabelstein posted a message on Facebook: “The city of Westland removed my flags from my property – saying it’s signage.”

“We’re an all-American city,” Dabelstein said.

image: http://www.wnd.com/files/2016/05/Kens-flag2.jpg
Ken Dabelstein at Ken's Country Produce on May 27 (Photo: Facebook)

Ken Dabelstein at Ken’s Country Produce on May 27 (Photo: Facebook)

Then his Facebook post caught the attention of Westland City Council member Kevin Coleman.

“What it sounds like to me is that it was probably a misunderstanding,” Coleman said.

That’s when the mayor, William R. Wild, got involved and posted: “I agree. I’ll see if we can get them back.”

“Some of these things that seem like common sense can get overlooked,” Coleman said. “On behalf of the city council, I want to apologize to Ken here.”

Dabelstein accepted the apology, and he told Fox 2 he has many more.

“I have 24 more,” he said. “I give them away to people. If you come in and need a flag for the cemetery, you get a free flag.”

On Friday, several patrons dropped by and posed for photos with Dabelstein, who was draped in red, white and blue.

Customers have been voicing their support for Dabelstein on Facebook and donating dozens of flags to his shop.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/senior-gets-big-apology-after-city-worker-seizes-his-american-flags/#IGMPgDsSGlDTjEOK.99