Author Topic: Plant Question...no, not a DEM Plant.  (Read 2271 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Plant Question...no, not a DEM Plant.
« on: May 27, 2016, 02:42:05 pm »

I bought these three plants...think they're in the coleus family.   Please excuse the specks of potting soil on the pergo.   :laugh:

My question is that I was under the impression they grew as thick bushy plants, and yet I've got these shoots that seem to be on steroids.

Are you supposed to clip these bad boys...as you would a basil plant?

Also...it's remarkable how many total changes in color, appearance and texture the two purplish plants go thru.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Plant Question...no, not a DEM Plant.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 02:51:33 pm »
Yep, back to a leaf node, but no more than about 2 inches of heavier stem. Personally, I've had better results pinching them rather than cutting them. They just seem to like it better.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »
Yep, back to a leaf node, but no more than about 2 inches of heavier stem. Personally, I've had better results pinching them rather than cutting them. They just seem to like it better.  :shrug:

Thanks, EC!   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 03:05:52 pm »
They are a bit leggy, aren't they?  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 03:11:32 pm »
They are a bit leggy, aren't they?  :laugh:

Yeah...it's like those ignored forsythia bushes that look like hell even in full bloom.

Thought they'd get the size/shape of a large cabbage, etc..   Last thing I want is leggy vines in the dining room.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 05:51:59 pm »
Yeah...it's like those ignored forsythia bushes that look like hell even in full bloom.

Thought they'd get the size/shape of a large cabbage, etc..   Last thing I want is leggy vines in the dining room.

You should see my lilacs.

No. No pics. Excuse the off topic but, here's one I will share