Author Topic: Arizona hiker dies after being stung by 1,000 bees  (Read 441 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Arizona hiker dies after being stung by 1,000 bees
« on: May 27, 2016, 01:45:20 pm »
Arizona hiker dies after being stung by 1,000 bees

PHOENIX — A 23-year-old Louisiana man died after being attacked by bees Thursday morning as he and a friend were hiking within Usery Mountain Park in Mesa, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office said.

A medical exam determined the man had been stung more than 1,000 times, officials said.

Just after 9 a.m., Alex Bestler and his friend were hiking the Merkle Trail when a large swarm of bees appeared without warning.

The friend was able to safely make it to a nearby restroom, but Bestler was overtaken by the swarm before he could find shelter, the Sheriff's Office said.

Read More At: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/05/26/hiker-dies-bees-attack-arizona/85009394/

Related Story in the UK, 10 days ago:

Angry bees swarm car, follow it for miles

SHEFFIELD, England -- There was a hive of activity on Sunday afternoon, as a car parked at an England plaza was covered in bees.

The Mitsubishi Outlander was buzzing, as a swarm of bees rested on the boot and side of the car.

Tom Moses, a Discovery Ranger for the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park was driving through the area, when he spotted the bees and called for help.

“I was a little worried, as the car was parked near some pubs, that someone would come and do something silly. So, I wanted to make sure the bees were looked after," he said.
Post by tom.moses.666.

Driver Carol Howarth, 65, was amazed when the swarm flew onto her car with up to 20,000 of the insects covering the boot, and stayed with her for 28 hours.

Beekeepers and passers by helped get most of the bees off her car.

Read More At: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/05/26/bees-swarm-car-followed-vehicle-28-hours/84968608/

Amazing stories.

My condolences to the young man in the first story; these stories when natural causes such as this result in such really are puzzling.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Arizona hiker dies after being stung by 1,000 bees
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:05:20 pm »
That's scary. We've had some variety of bees living in our yard in the past few years that live in the ground and are vicious attackers. Their sting feels like razor blades - very different from the ordinary bee that pretty much leaves you alone.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:09:49 pm »
That's scary. We've had some variety of bees living in our yard in the past few years that live in the ground and are vicious attackers. Their sting feels like razor blades - very different from the ordinary bee that pretty much leaves you alone.

Ground bees and wasps are very vicious. They are the worst.

Wondering if what got the guy weren't africanized bees.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 06:19:19 pm »
Obama and Hillary will promise to save us from the bees.

First they will scold us, because we used to treat the poor bees very badly. Therefore a tax will be necessary to pay for the bees to have better surroundings, and to hopefully leave us alone.

This has been tried before, proved to not work, so we must raise the tax even more, to spend even more on their surroundings.

BLM was recently formed for "Bee's Lives Matter." Obama has granted a pardon, to the bees that killed the man in Mesa, AZ.

In England, an emissary was sent to the EU, to study if it is a problem with the auto's bonnet, or the boot. The EU is scheduled to take this up in their 2019 sessions on bees, boots and bonnets.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline r9etb

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:27:59 pm »
Wondering if what got the guy weren't africanized bees.

Probably not.  Bee swarming is natural behavior, as part of a bee colony follows the queen to a new nest.  I imagine that as the swarm is underway, the tendency is for the bees to aggressively protect their queen.

I've seen a swarm -- they took up very temporary residence within the walls of a friend's cabin.  I put my hand against the wall and could feel the buzzing, which was very loud.  It was pretty awe-inspiring, and scary.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 07:30:53 pm »
We have Yellowjackets around here. THey're actually wasps, rather than bees... they are just the most nasty, vicious little suckers you've ever run into. They don't hesitate to sting at all. I kill all nests I see ASAP.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »

Well I do say. Isn't this thread, the bees' knees ?? No conflict, yet.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 11:39:28 am »
If it's not the bees, it's ants.
An Alabama woman has been killed by a swarm of fire ants as she prepared for her own mother's funeral. Kayln Rolan from Wetumpka, which is around 15 miles north of Montgomery, was apparently using her mobile phone to organise her mother's funeral whilst sitting on a haystack, when the fire ants came out of it and began attacking her.

The 29-year-old had lost her mother just the day before on 19 May, and had been visiting Selma where the incident happened. Her distraught family had to make arrangements for a double funeral, which took place on 27 May.

The mother of two went into an anaphylactic shock, causing her body to swell to the point where she could not breathe. Her husband attempted to save her life, ripping off her clothes and calling an ambulance, however the emergency services arrived too late to save her.  ...
Story at IBTimes (U.K.)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

debrawiest

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 12:46:55 pm »
We have Yellowjackets around here. THey're actually wasps, rather than bees... they are just the most nasty, vicious little suckers you've ever run into. They don't hesitate to sting at all. I kill all nests I see ASAP.

My husband and our 2 horses were attacked by Yellowjackets as he was attempting to move our hay bale feeder. It was awful.  The horses threw themselves down on the ground to roll. My husband was stung many times. Thank God he was not allergic.