Author Topic: Trump demands share of profits in exchange for Keystone approval  (Read 21116 times)

Offline aligncare

Re: Trump demands share of profits in exchange for Keystone approval
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 02:06:32 pm »
In accordance with TBR posting guidelines I'd like to submit a post that is non offensive, content-less, and decidedly anti Trump.

LOL! That's it, get with the program.

Hating is so much more efficient at persuading than using pesky facts, logic and reasoning. Plus, it just feels good to vent.

****sheep****

Trump is a poopy head and a closet fascist--or, is it Nazi? Maybe communist? Definitely racist misogynist. I don't know. I get so confused by all the appellations.

Anyway, I feel so much better now that I nailed the orange baboon -- in keeping with guidelines.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 02:11:22 pm »

Hating is so much more efficient at persuading than using pesky facts, logic and reasoning. Plus, it just feels good to vent.

****sheep****

Trump is a poopy head and a closet fascist--or, is it Nazi? Maybe communist? Definitely racist misogynist. I don't know. I get so confused by all the appellations.

Anyway, I feel so much better now that I nailed the orange baboon -- in keeping with guidelines.
I covered the rules by putting orange bully in my tag line....
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 02:13:00 pm »
There will be a cost for building and maintaining the pipeline and the land it runs on. Who should have to pay for that-  The ones making the Profit off it or the Taxpayers?

Is this a trick question?

The ones making the profit off it, obviously.  Because if they don't build it right, and don't maintain it, they won't be making any profits.  That's how every business works.  You build the business, you operate it and maintain it, and you get to keep whatever profits you make after paying taxes.  This won't be any different.

What Trump is proposing is something additional.  Not only does the private entity have to build and maintain the pipeline, and pay any taxes on profits (in addition to payroll taxes for all the workers, etc.), but they have to pay an additional "royalty" for the privilege of doing business in the first place.  The government isn't a "for profit" enterprise that should be demanding royalties.

Offline Relic

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 02:13:55 pm »

****sheep****

Facts and opinions supporting Trump are neither. They are merely starting points to get to the true message, Trump supporters are devoid of character or thought.

In accordance with TBR posting guidelines I'd like to submit a post that is non offensive, content-less, and decidedly anti Trump.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »
There will be a cost for building and maintaining the pipeline and the land it runs on. Who should have to pay for that-  The ones making the Profit off it or the Taxpayers?

Keystone pays for all of that.  It is THEIR pipeline.  There are 2 million miles of oil pipeline in the US right now and the federal government owns none of them.

The government gets royalties from the companies for oil that is extracted from government lands. In the case of Keystone, the oil is coming from shale in Canada.  So the US government has no claim on royalties from the oil.  Landowners will be paid by Keystone for easements. 

If Trump levies a tax on Keystone, that's what it is:  a Tax.  And the oil will, as a result, cost more ultimately to the consumer.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 02:15:19 pm »
Is this a trick question?

The ones making the profit off it, obviously.  Because if they don't build it right, and don't maintain it, they won't be making any profits.  That's how every business works.  You build the business, you operate it and maintain it, and you get to keep whatever profits you make after paying taxes.  This won't be any different.

What Trump is proposing is something additional.  Not only does the private entity have to build and maintain the pipeline, and pay any taxes on profits (in addition to payroll taxes for all the workers, etc.), but they have to pay an additional "royalty" for the privilege of doing business in the first place.  The government isn't a "for profit" enterprise that should be demanding royalties.
It is when we are dealing with a foreign country that is profiting off of our resources and people.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 02:17:26 pm »
It is when we are dealing with a foreign country that is profiting off of our resources and people.

If that's Trump's attitude, then Keystone can just run the pipeline west through Canada and there will be no jobs created, no easement royalties paid, and no taxes paid by Keystone to the US.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:17:51 pm by sinkspur »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »
This is either incredibly genius or incredibly dumb! On the one hand, it could be a way to finally stomp environmentalists into the ground, if you put a "everyone shares" angle on these types of projects.

As it is, Keystone simply won't be built. Too much opposition. I have seen these pipeline projects fail. Trump may have inadvertently proposed a way to get these projects through.

On the other hand, oil sharing revenues with the public might turn us into Venezuela if not done right.

I believe Alaska does something like this right?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 02:20:30 pm »

What do you mean "profiting off our resources and people"?  Aren't those people ones who will be having good, well-paying jobs pouring the steel, building the pipeline, maintaining it, and then perhaps processing the oil at the end?  Or is that just "exploitation of the working class" in your opinion?

This is just...bizarre.  It used to be that Republicans loved the idea of businesses starting up, employing people, and paying taxes.  Now, it's just "profiting off our resources and people".  I mean, I usually roll my eyes at those anti-Trump people who get all agitated over Trump being a statist, or all the other perjoratives that get tossed at him and his supporters.  I usually think that's an unfair accusation not worthy of debate.  But this..."we need to stop the exploitation of our workers" crap....

Dude, are you actually hearing what you're saying?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:33 pm »
If that's Trump's attitude, then Keystone can just run the pipeline west through Canada and there will be no jobs created, no easement royalties paid, and no taxes paid by Keystone to the US.

Exactly!  Let those damned Canadians make those evil profits off the backs of their own workers!  That'll show those hoseheads!

Offline Relic

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 02:22:09 pm »
This is either incredibly genius or incredibly dumb! On the one hand, it could be a way to finally stomp environmentalists into the ground, if you put a "everyone shares" angle on these types of projects.

As it is, Keystone simply won't be built. Too much opposition. I have seen these pipeline projects fail. Trump may have inadvertently proposed a way to get these projects through.

On the other hand, oil sharing revenues with the public might turn us into Venezuela if not done right.

I believe Alaska does something like this right?

If Trump wants it, thought of it, or likes it, it's incredibly dumb. That's just a given.

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 02:23:36 pm »

Oh stop. YOu''re gonna give yourself a nosebleed.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 02:24:27 pm »
If Trump wants it, thought of it, or likes it, it's incredibly dumb. That's just a given.

That's ridiculous.  If Trump wants it, it'll be good because it'll make America great again.  And he has the tools to do it.  Either Congress goes along, or it becomes irrelevant. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 02:26:10 pm »
Oh stop. YOu''re gonna give yourself a nosebleed.

I thought of a reply to that, but in accordance with TBR posting guidelines I'd like to submit a post that is non offensive, content-less, and decidedly anti Trump.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 02:26:43 pm »
What do you mean "profiting off our resources and people"?  Aren't those people ones who will be having good, well-paying jobs pouring the steel, building the pipeline, maintaining it, and then perhaps processing the oil at the end?  Or is that just "exploitation of the working class" in your opinion?

This is just...bizarre.  It used to be that Republicans loved the idea of businesses starting up, employing people, and paying taxes.  Now, it's just "profiting off our resources and people".  I mean, I usually roll my eyes at those anti-Trump people who get all agitated over Trump being a statist, or all the other perjoratives that get tossed at him and his supporters.  I usually think that's an unfair accusation not worthy of debate.  But this..."we need to stop the exploitation of our workers" crap....

The poster you're addressing is a Trumpkin.  Everything Trump says is genius dripping out of that cheeto-face. 

Trump thinks he can make America great again by giving tax cuts with one hand, then taxing the hell out of business.  Surely even he knows that businesses don't pay taxes; they just pass the costs along.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2016, 02:27:14 pm »
That's ridiculous.  If Trump wants it, it'll be good because it'll make America great again.  And he has the tools to do it.  Either Congress goes along, or it becomes irrelevant.

I don't understand this.  Trump wants to impose a "royalty" (even though it's not federal land), and that'll take an Act of Congress.  If Congress refuses to pass it, there isn't a royalty.  So how does that make Congress "irrelevant"?  Seems to be it would be a prima facie demonstration that Congress is very relevant indeed.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 02:29:11 pm »

The detractprs of Trump sound quite naive and essentially ignorant. We have built pipelines, before. Land has been taken before. Fees for encroachment, easements, etc. have been paid. There is nothing new.

Do his detractors want the project to continue to be blocked like Obama has, and Hillary would ?? Or maybe it is that you demand to see every detail ?? As if you knew anything about the subject in most cases.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2016, 02:34:05 pm »
And then the Tariffs kick in.... America is the largest consumer of what they are selling...

• Technical
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 02:35:14 pm »
And then the Tariffs kick in.... America is the largest consumer of what they are selling...

Why on earth would trump put tariffs on gas?

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:05 pm »

You buy gas for your car?

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2016, 02:38:54 pm »

The detractprs of Trump sound quite naive and essentially ignorant. We have built pipelines, before. Land has been taken before. Fees for encroachment, easements, etc. have been paid. There is nothing new.

Do his detractors want the project to continue to be blocked like Obama has, and Hillary would ?? Or maybe it is that you demand to see every detail ?? As if you knew anything about the subject in most cases.
As usual #neverTrump is arguing on the side of Democrats

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2016, 02:40:01 pm »
Why on earth would trump put tariffs on gas?
Because they refused to pay royalties and tried to back door it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2016, 02:40:43 pm »

I didn't know robots can buy anything..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

• Technical
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2016, 02:41:53 pm »
Because they refused to pay royalties and tried to back door it.

But tariffs on gas would be paid by US citizens, not Canada. Unless you are talking about export tariffs.

How would that benefit US citizens?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2016, 02:42:14 pm »
The poster you're addressing is a Trumpkin.

Most good replies (and perhaps mine don't qualify, so there is that....) actually is directed towards the other people reading the thread, not the original poster.  That is the entire point of remaining civil and rational.  You're not really trying to convince the other poster that they're wrong -- you're actually trying to point out why they are wrong to other people, and hopefully making a good argument that will either convince them, or perhaps use elsewhere to convince others.

That's why screaming/ad hominem attacks/insults are pointless.