Author Topic: RNC official: We won’t go full Trump on party platform  (Read 2147 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
RNC official: We won’t go full Trump on party platform
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:35:35 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/281149-rnc-official-we-wont-go-full-trump-on-party-platform

By Jonathan Swan - 05/25/16 06:00 AM EDT

A top Republican National Committee (RNC) official sought to soothe business leaders worried about Donald Trump’s influence on the party, saying at a private meeting on Tuesday that its presumptive presidential nominee would not dictate the party’s platform.

Ben Key, the RNC platform committee’s executive director, offered the assurance during a meeting at the organization’s headquarters on Capitol Hill, according to two sources in the room.

“Ben said that as the presumptive nominee, Trump would have some influence on the platform, but it wouldn’t be determinative,” said the first source who attended the meeting.
The source said several of those attending the meeting offered knowing smiles in response to the comment.

“And then he added … that the platform would not include some of the more controversial positions that Trump has taken,” the source said.

A second source who attended the meeting said Key did not single out any specific Trump policies that might not be in the platform, but he stressed the GOP can maintain distance from its presumptive nominee’s ideas when it crafts its platform at the Republican National Convention in July.

“[Key] said that just because it’s a potential nominee doesn’t mean those ideas are going to find their way into the platform,” the second source in the room said.

“He said the platform will be a decision that serves the whole party.”

The RNC declined an opportunity to deny or clarify Key’s private comments about how Trump would influence the platform.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: RNC official: We won’t go full Trump on party platform
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »
Is "Full Trump," like "Full Monty?"

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:43:42 pm »
Is "Full Trump," like "Full Monty?"

Politically and philosophically speaking, yes.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:49:18 pm »
Why is the party nominating someone who does not support it's platform?  Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?  Why is the GOP nominating a progressive Democrat?

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:49:50 pm »
Why is the party nominating someone who does not support it's platform?  Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?  Why is the GOP nominating a progressive Democrat?

Good point. 

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 02:18:17 pm »
Considering the party platform is Open Borders, Globalist Pro-Islam with a destroyed middle class Trump is the good guy here not the Establishment the #neverTrump's are praising.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 02:19:08 pm »
DELETED by poster due to misleading information on GOP web site
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:09:47 pm by RetBobbyMI »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 02:31:52 pm »
Considering the party platform is Open Borders, Globalist Pro-Islam with a destroyed middle class Trump is the good guy here not the Establishment the #neverTrump's are praising.

Would you mind linking me to those provisions in the GOP Party platform? 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 02:33:33 pm »
Amnesty, NAFTA/TPP/TPA. Syrian Refugees
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 02:44:07 pm »

I believe that was the 2012 committee.  This year's committee will be run by Barrasso, Falin and Foxx.  Iknow they'll start with the 2012 platform which is the current one, and a couple of issues have changed since then including marriage, Russia and Cuba.  So we'll see how those change in the document as well as what if any influence Trump has on it.  Will be interesting to watch.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:46:11 pm »
He can't.  They are not in there.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 02:58:33 pm »
Really, you are going to claim the GOP leadership has not tried to push Amnesty, Did not pass NAFTA/TPA and is going to pass TPP, and that it has done nothing to stop the flood of Muslim Refugees Obama has brought in?

:facepalm2:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 02:59:40 pm »
Amnesty, NAFTA/TPP/TPA. Syrian Refugees

I see nothing in the platform calling for any type of amnesty.  It does say this however:

That is why we oppose any form of amnesty for those who, by intentionally violating the law, disadvantage those who have obeyed it.  Granting amnesty only rewards and encourages more law breaking.

As for trade agreements, the platform has called for renegotiating any agreements that do not include full parity in trade back and forth.  Syrian refugees? 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 03:12:51 pm »
Really, you are going to claim the GOP leadership has not tried to push Amnesty, Did not pass NAFTA/TPA and is going to pass TPP, and that it has done nothing to stop the flood of Muslim Refugees Obama has brought in?

Well we were talking about what is in the party platform.  But no, the GOP leadership has not been trying to push amnesty.  What they have done on several occasions since 2005 is try to agree on a comprehensive immigration reform package, which requires much stronger border security, employer enforcement and several reforms to the current immigration laws.  In order to gain that, the bills have included either guest worker provisions or permanent residency provisions for those who can pass a background check, pay a series of fines and penalties, not participate in any state or federal welfare programs and among other requirements pass an English proficiency test.  It's called plea bargaining, and if that's amnesty, then 95% of all convictions in the US are also amnesty.

As for the Syrian refugees, see S.2284, The Syrian Refugee Verification and Safety Act, introduced by Senator Vitter, which would stop all inflows of Syrian refugees until certain certifications are made by the President.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 03:18:13 pm »
I believe that was the 2012 committee.  This year's committee will be run by Barrasso, Falin and Foxx.  Iknow they'll start with the 2012 platform which is the current one, and a couple of issues have changed since then including marriage, Russia and Cuba.  So we'll see how those change in the document as well as what if any influence Trump has on it.  Will be interesting to watch.
Yeah. When I saw Bob McDonnell. I knew it wasn't current. :nometalk:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 05:05:49 pm »
MY mistake for trusting that the GOP would be up to date on its web site.  My MISTAKE for trusting the GOP.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 05:33:52 pm »
"Full Trump" or "any Trump" is a moving target. That's what happens when your policies and positions are mere suggestions subject to negotiation.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 06:22:50 pm »
MY mistake for trusting that the GOP would be up to date on its web site.  My MISTAKE for trusting the GOP.

Not a problem for me RB.  The 2012 platform is still the platform of record until the new one is voted in next month.  A preview can be seen from the Spring and Winter GOP meetings where all the resolutions are recorded.  Some of these will no doubt make it to the platform committee.

geronl

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 06:45:58 pm »
They put liberal Mary Fallon up there, they've gone bleep

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:38 pm »
Not a problem for me RB.  The 2012 platform is still the platform of record until the new one is voted in next month.  A preview can be seen from the Spring and Winter GOP meetings where all the resolutions are recorded.  Some of these will no doubt make it to the platform committee.
Will be interesting to see how many Cruz supporters (whether or not they might be bound to vote for Trumpy) get stacked on the rules and platform committees. They are only bound to Trumpy on the nomination ballot, not committee votes to the chagrin of Trumpolites.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:29:13 pm by RetBobbyMI »

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 11:26:06 pm »

It's not in the platform Strawman.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 01:43:10 am »
Will be interesting to see how many Cruz supporters (whether or not they might be bound to vote for Trumpy) get stacked on the rules and platform committees. They are only bound to Trumpy on the nomination ballot, not committee votes to the chagrin of Trumpolites.

Can't see them on the rules committee, but I can see them on the platform group, though there will be some from each state.  Not sure how they get nominated and approved. 

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 04:18:25 am »
Can't see them on the rules committee, but I can see them on the platform group, though there will be some from each state.  Not sure how they get nominated and approved.
Each state, territory or district gets 2 seats on the platform committee. Don't know about rules.