Author Topic: Trump: I may ask Congress to formally declare war to fight terror  (Read 2834 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-terror-declaration-war-223497

Trump: I may ask Congress to formally declare war to fight terror

By Nolan D. McCaskill

05/23/16 06:36 PM EDT

President Donald Trump would have no problem asking Congress for a declaration of war to fight terrorism, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee told Fox News host Bill O’Reilly in an interview that will air Monday evening.

“It wouldn’t bother me at all doing that,” Trump said, according to a transcript of the interview. “We probably should have done that in the first place.”

The real estate mogul said fighting terrorism isn’t the same as traditional war, noting that terrorists don’t wear uniforms and battling extremists isn’t the same as going against a country like Germany or Japan.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mechanicos

Re: Trump: I may ask Congress to formally declare war to fight terror
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 12:56:37 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/trump-terror-declaration-war-223497

Trump: I may ask Congress to formally declare war to fight terror

By Nolan D. McCaskill

05/23/16 06:36 PM EDT

President Donald Trump would have no problem asking Congress for a declaration of war to fight terrorism, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee told Fox News host Bill O’Reilly in an interview that will air Monday evening.

“It wouldn’t bother me at all doing that,” Trump said, according to a transcript of the interview. “We probably should have done that in the first place.”

The real estate mogul said fighting terrorism isn’t the same as traditional war, noting that terrorists don’t wear uniforms and battling extremists isn’t the same as going against a country like Germany or Japan.

continued
WoW a president who wants to follow the Constitution. Amazing.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:04:06 pm »
Trumps campaign is one big suggestion box.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 01:07:32 pm »
https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL31133.pdf

Interesting read about declaration of war vs authorization
 of use of force
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 01:15:17 pm »
https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL31133.pdf

Interesting read about declaration of war vs authorization
 of use of force

Thank you that was very interesting reading.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline kjam22

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:22:10 pm »
Thank you that was very interesting reading.

Safe to say authorization is an attempt to NOT give the prez all of the statutory power a declaration gives.   Understanding all of the implications of that power may be necessary to really judge which is appropriate.   Popping off and saying "we should have declared war" plays to a certain segment that knows little about the difference between a declaration and an authorization
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 01:26:20 pm »

Saying he wouldn't have a problem asking Congress is not the same as him saying he was obligated to do so.  What Trump says has to be parsed as carefully as what Obama says to make sure you're not putting into his statements things that aren't there. 

Trump most certainly didn't say he was constrained to follow the Constitution, just that he doesn't have a problem doing so if it's consistent with what he's going to do anyway. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:27:06 pm by Oceander »

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 01:30:34 pm »
Saying he wouldn't have a problem asking Congress is not the same as him saying he was obligated to do so.  What Trump says has to be parsed as carefully as what Obama says to make sure you're not putting into his statements things that aren't there. 

Trump most certainly didn't say he was constrained to follow the Constitution, just that he doesn't have a problem doing so if it's consistent with what he's going to do anyway.

Show me the authority to have a Standing army in peace time as well as the use of force language in the US Constitution.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 01:30:54 pm »

If O'Riley and fox weren't in the tank for King Trumpy a logical question may have been "what is the difference oh mighty Trumpy between a declaration and an authorization, and how would the declaration further help you destroy ISIS?   The specific reasons oh mighty Trumpy."

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 01:31:49 pm »
Show me the authority to have a Standing army in peace time as well as the use of force language in the US Constitution.

Stop playing with red herrings.  Show me proof Trump knows that he is constrained by the Constitution and that he will obey the Consitution.  That is the issue. 

"I may" connotes "I may not" and implies the speaker believes he has free choice in the matter. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:34:27 pm by Oceander »

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:32:29 pm »
If O'Riley and fox weren't in the tank for King Trumpy a logical question may have been "what is the difference oh mighty Trumpy between a declaration and an authorization, and how would the declaration further help you destroy ISIS?   The specific reasons oh mighty Trumpy."
Considering he said this after meeting with Corker it may not go the way you think.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 01:33:59 pm »

Those are established through statute.   Do you believe the statutes violate specific language or intent in the constitution?   

Offline kjam22

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 01:36:12 pm »
Considering he said this after meeting with Corker it may not go the way you think.

If king Trumpy knew the answer to that question he would have stated it to show everyone how smart he was....  He doesn't know and it is a foolish dream to think he does

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 01:36:54 pm »
Stop playing with red herrings.  Show me proof Trump knows that he is constrained by the Constitution and that he will obey the Consitution.  That is the issue.
So Counselor, you remembered from your Constitutional law classes that he is required to ask for a declaration here...
There is No authority for the police actions aka limited use of force; there is no authority to have a Standing Army during peace time indefinitely.... It is breath of fresh air to see a president actually wanting to follow the Constitution on this.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 01:40:14 pm »
So Counselor, you remembered from your Constitutional law classes that he is required to ask for a declaration here...
There is No authority for the police actions aka limited use of force; there is no authority to have a Standing Army during peace time indefinitely.... It is breath of fresh air to see a president actually wanting to follow the Constitution on this.

You just love playing with red herrings, don't you.  Tell me "counselor" where Trump said he knows he's constrained by the Constitution and that he will abide by those constraints.  Or do you believe that it's not possible by definition for the president to violate the Constitution?

Offline kjam22

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 01:40:49 pm »

Well yeah, if you want to throw out 200 years of statutes and start all over.....  That might be worse for our country than an emp

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 01:46:51 pm »
Those are established through statute.   Do you believe the statutes violate specific language or intent in the constitution?
Yes Statute is inferior law to the Constitution.

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

U.S. Constitution Article 1 Section 8 Paragraphs 10-15.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 01:47:18 pm »

Simple question,  the same one king Trumpy can't answer....  What will a declaration of war accomplish in the fight against ISIS that authorization won't????   king Trumpy is just trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about.   For the record I don't think either of you have an answer

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:18 pm »

You just love playing with red herrings, don't you.  Tell me "counselor" where Trump said he knows he's constrained by the Constitution and that he will abide by those constraints.  Or do you believe that it's not possible by definition for the president to violate the Constitution?

That's what I thought.  You can't.  Enjoy the red herrings. 

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:58 pm »
Words are just words, Conduct matters more.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 01:50:25 pm »
H

[/quotE

You do realize the appropriation happens annually?   Further, are you really suggesting we disban the entire military when things seem peaceful?   

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 01:52:02 pm »
Words are just words, Conduct matters more.

So show me prior conduct of Trump abiding by the Constitutional limits on the powers of the president. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 01:53:47 pm »
Get real, folks.  No Congress, Democrat or Republican, would give the person Donald J. Trump a declaration of war.

The implications of that are simply too frightening for sane Americans to contemplate.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 01:54:01 pm »
Simple question,  the same one king Trumpy can't answer....  What will a declaration of war accomplish in the fight against ISIS that authorization won't????   king Trumpy is just trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about.   For the record I don't think either of you have an answer

From your own post earlier:

... [A] declaration of war in itself creates a state of war under international law and legitimates the killing of enemy combatants, the seizure of enemy property,  and the apprehension of enemy aliens.... With respect to domestic law, a declaration of war automatically triggers many standby statutory  authorities conferring special powers on the President with respect to the military, foreign trade,  transportation, communications, manufacturing, alien enemies, etc. In contrast, no standby authorities appear to be triggered automatically by an authorization for the use of force,...

Offline kjam22

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 01:54:10 pm »

You realize that today we live in an era where the enemy doesn't have to sail the Atlantic in wooden boats to attack us?