Author Topic: Is Rush Limbaugh in Trouble?  (Read 8819 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Is Rush Limbaugh in Trouble?
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:39:55 pm »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/is-rush-limbaugh-in-trouble-talk-radio-213914

The talk radio host is as influential as ever, but his business model is on shaky ground.

By Ethan Epstein

May 24, 2016

Earlier this year, as that unmistakable bass line of the Pretenders’ My City Was Gone faded into the background, Rush Limbaugh opened his daily three-hour broadcast with characteristic bombast. “[According to the] latest research data,” he intoned, “the audience is expanding at near geometric proportions, as people seek guidance, answers, explanations, information, and an answer to the basic question, ‘What the hell is happening out there?’"

Whether “what the hell is happening out there”—in particular, the remarkable political rise of Donald Trump—has been good or bad for the Republican Party, or the country at large, there’s no denying one thing: It’s been great for talk radio. Ratings are finally ticking up, after a moribund four years. And conservative radio gabbers are driving the political conversation in a way that they didn’t when allegedly mushy moderates like John McCain and Mitt Romney were the standard-bearers of the country’s conservative party.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

Re: Is Rush Limbaugh in Trouble?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:03:56 pm »
Remember this is Politico. They'd love to see Rush take a tumble. Every big name entertainer has peaks and valleys in their professional lives. I'm sure more than a few people would love to have Rush's problems professionally-wise.
And as far as losing advertisers I see Sherry's Berries is back on board. They cut out after the Fluke incident. I wonder if they had to pay extra to come back.
My chief beef with Rush is his playing both sides of the fence vis a vis Trump. He's stated   Trump is no conservative, but he has gone out of his way to avoid talking about Trump's nuttier words and actions.
He's praised Trump far more than he's knocked him. Another candidate with Trump's history would have been savaged (no pun intended) by Rush.
But he gives Trump a pass. Why? because he likes Trump. Simple as that.
 He knows full well how disliked Trump is by conservatives. But he fears losing half his audience. Even then many Trumpsters have attacked Limbaugh because hasn't given his fullfledged support to Trump,

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:22:12 pm »

The talk radio host is as influential as ever, but his business model is on shaky ground.

By ETHAN EPSTEIN May 24, 2016

Earlier this year, as that unmistakable bass line of the Pretenders’ My City Was Gone faded into the background, Rush Limbaugh opened his daily three-hour broadcast with characteristic bombast. “[According to the] latest research data,” he intoned, “the audience is expanding at near geometric proportions, as people seek guidance, answers, explanations, information, and an answer to the basic question, ‘What the hell is happening out there?’".....

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/is-rush-limbaugh-in-trouble-talk-radio-213914#ixzz49agZwXS5
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:44:43 pm by AbaraXas »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 04:31:00 pm »
Limbaughs program may be stalling, but I have a very hard time believing it has anything to do with that fabricated controversy from four years ago.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 04:31:27 pm »
I had some differences with Rush certainly in the past year, as I feel that his "against the establishment" stance damaged legitimate good efforts undertaken by GOPers in Congress, plus I feel he legitimized Trump. That being said, Limbaugh will not go anywhere no matter who boycotts him, because his fans still want to hear him, there's no one to replace him, he probably has all the money he needs and is just doing it for relevance at this point.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:45:02 pm »
Just a note, excerpted the article due to copyright.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 04:47:51 pm »
Old geezers who listen to talk radio are dying off.

I know of at least 3 loyal Rush listeners who have died and the other suffered a stroke and is in a nursing home. One was my dad who died last year. Never missed Rush.

Younger people go to the internet via Facebook or blogs for their info while listening to their favorite music in their headphones..

It's as simple as that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:49:05 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 04:51:53 pm »
No, not any more than the last time it was over for Limbaugh and not any more than the last time the liberals touted their latest greatest Liberal Limbaugh.

This Trump thing may cause him to lose some credability with the hard liners, but we aren't enough to make a dent in his ratings. Backing the winner makes good economic sense. He's in a though spot, he doesn't want to let Hillary win. On one level I can respect that. 

The depressing thing for me is I had no problem seeing Donald Trump for what he is; because Rush taught me how liberals think, how they work, and what they say.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 04:55:06 pm »
Remember this is Politico. They'd love to see Rush take a tumble. Every big name entertainer has peaks and valleys in their professional lives. I'm sure more than a few people would love to have Rush's problems professionally-wise.
And as far as losing advertisers I see Sherry's Berries is back on board. They cut out after the Fluke incident. I wonder if they had to pay extra to come back.
My chief beef with Rush is his playing both sides of the fence vis a vis Trump. He's stated   Trump is no conservative, but he has gone out of his way to avoid talking about Trump's nuttier words and actions.
He's praised Trump far more than he's knocked him. Another candidate with Trump's history would have been savaged (no pun intended) by Rush.
But he gives Trump a pass. Why? because he likes Trump. Simple as that.
 He knows full well how disliked Trump is by conservatives. But he fears losing half his audience. Even then many Trumpsters have attacked Limbaugh because hasn't given his fullfledged support to Trump,

I wonder if he doesn't feel somewhat responsible for Obama beating McCain. Rush was very tough on McCain. He had some great parody's:  Citizen McCain, The McCain Mutiny, and at least one other one I'm forgetting. Those had to have hurt McCain.

Rush has a lot of influence; that's why he doesn't tell people to call their congress critter everyweek and tell them how to vote. However, when he does ask people to call someone switchboards melt.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 04:59:33 pm »
Rumors of Rush's demise have been around since he started and he always proves them wrong. Any business will have ebbs and flows. I have a feeling Rush will be ready to officially retire long before his show is really hurt.

With that being said, I do think Rush can do more for longevity. He completely discounts or even insults the Millennial generation (although he is going back to the younger ones with his books), which is becoming the largest voting and purchasing demographic. He doesn't really use nor understand Twitter, Facebook, and other new media formats. At that, he is really disconnected from how those work (which is a big gap for Conservatives in general).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:00:33 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 05:04:23 pm »
It was obvious last summer when Trump announced that Rush decided to ride the Trump train.  He figured, like everybody else, that Trump would flame out in short order.

When he didn't, Rush had a dilemma:  announce that Trump was no conservative and he would have nothing to do with him and risk alienating Trump's growing following, or embrace Trump, keep the listeners, but risk being labeled a sellout.

He chose the latter.  I suspect, if listener numbers could be tabulated, his audience is smaller than last summer.  I gave up on him then, forever.  Rush has no principles, except to make money, so all the bullshit he spouts about conservatism mean no more to him than the "suggestions" Trump makes mean to him.

Rush is old news.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 05:12:45 pm »
Rush was right about McCain.  McCain would have been a terrible President.  While he would have been terrible differently than Obama, I do not think he would have been better.  I actually voted for McCain in the general, I'm ashamed to say.  That's when I got a better view of the "can win" scam.  I promised to vote my conscience from then on and let the chips fall where they fall.   McCain is/was in love with liberalism and he has an ego very much like Trump's.  What's shocking is that Rush loves Trump even though the evidence is that Trump is quite a bit more liberal than McCain and definitely more in love with himself.  Trump has so many bad character qualities that he taints the reputation of everyone who stands with him, imo.

McCain the last time I supported and voted for the 'lesser of two evils' too. At the time I thought McCain would have at least been strong on national security. Given his actions since then, I'm not as sure. McCain at least had a background of personal intergrity and courage. No matter what he became, only a low-life like Trump could question McCain's service for his country. McCain should have retired when he had the chance.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »
Rush was right about McCain.  McCain would have been a terrible President.  While he would have been terrible differently than Obama, I do not think he would have been better.  I actually voted for McCain in the general, I'm ashamed to say.  That's when I got a better view of the "can win" scam.  I promised to vote my conscience from then on and let the chips fall where they fall.   McCain is/was in love with liberalism and he has an ego very much like Trump's.  What's shocking is that Rush loves Trump even though the evidence is that Trump is quite a bit more liberal than McCain and definitely more in love with himself.  Trump has so many bad character qualities that he taints the reputation of everyone who stands with him, imo.

It is great to witness a #nevertrump admit their belief Obama would be a better President than McCain.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 05:53:43 pm »
Limbaughs program may be stalling, but I have a very hard time believing it has anything to do with that fabricated controversy from four years ago.

Actually, you can hear it in the advertisers he has now.

Liberals organized; conservatives sat there doing nothing.  Result = boycott worked.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Relic

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 06:13:26 pm »
The depth of hate in the #nevertrump members is something to behold.

Apparently, now that Trump for all his many flaws, is neck and neck with Hillary, the lashing out at everything around Trump must begin. Those of us who didn't profess an immediate and complete hate for Trump were cast as Trump worshippers and in the minds of #nevertrump, duly mocked.

Now Rush Limbaugh in particular and talk radio in general are in the cross hairs. Limbaugh is 65 and has accumulated more wealth than most people can dream of having. Limbaugh has no problems, and will live out his life in a style that would make Kings blush. But that's not the point, is it?

What seems to be the sub text is some of you can't wait for talk radio, and old white men to die off.

Neo liberalism isn't really any prettier than liberalism.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 06:15:11 pm »
I haven't listened to him in some time, and I used to be a regular. (And, to @mirraflake's comments below, I'm not an "old geezer".)

Rush sounds tired, disenchanted, and doesn't say anything new or particularly worthwhile.   

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 06:18:26 pm »
The depth of hate in the #nevertrump members is something to behold.

Apparently, now that Trump for all his many flaws, is neck and neck with Hillary, the lashing out at everything around Trump must begin. Those of us who didn't profess an immediate and complete hate for Trump were cast as Trump worshippers and in the minds of #nevertrump, duly mocked.

Now Rush Limbaugh in particular and talk radio in general are in the cross hairs. Limbaugh is 65 and has accumulated more wealth than most people can dream of having. Limbaugh has no problems, and will live out his life in a style that would make Kings blush. But that's not the point, is it?

What seems to be the sub text is some of you can't wait for talk radio, and old white men to die off.

Neo liberalism isn't really any prettier than liberalism.

Well, that's one point of view.  Limbaugh facilitated the rise of Trump by coddling him when he entered the race.  They play golf together, so some of that was natural.  But, after it became apparent Trump was against everything Rush has stood for, he still went out of his way to justify Trump. 

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 06:21:32 pm »
It was obvious last summer when Trump announced that Rush decided to ride the Trump train.  He figured, like everybody else, that Trump would flame out in short order.

When he didn't, Rush had a dilemma:  announce that Trump was no conservative and he would have nothing to do with him and risk alienating Trump's growing following, or embrace Trump, keep the listeners, but risk being labeled a sellout.

He chose the latter.  I suspect, if listener numbers could be tabulated, his audience is smaller than last summer.  I gave up on him then, forever.  Rush has no principles, except to make money, so all the bullshit he spouts about conservatism mean no more to him than the "suggestions" Trump makes mean to him.

Rush is old news.
I have stopped listening to Rush, since Cruz dropped out, because he has given more credence to Pro-Trump and definitely has legitimized him as a valid Republican candidate.

It really saddens me, that for someone who claims not to hold allegiance to anyone or any party, and who claims to hold the mantle on conservatism, that after months of saying Cruz is the most constitutional conservative we have in decades, and that Trump is no conservative, now he's all in with his words and lingo, for Trump (even though he won't endorse anyone).

Just sad to hear him lament on how great Trump is....how great his message is, etc.  Totally defies logic, esp for someone who should know better.

Offline Relic

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 06:24:17 pm »
Well, that's one point of view.  Limbaugh facilitated the rise of Trump by coddling him when he entered the race.  They play golf together, so some of that was natural.  But, after it became apparent Trump was against everything Rush has stood for, he still went out of his way to justify Trump.

Or, as was stated, Limbaugh didn't want to be a king maker, (king breaker). Limbaugh and Trump are friendly, when you're famous and extremely wealthy, finding people in a similar circumstance can be an issue.

But, don't concern yourself with that. Rage on at Limbaugh, you can't hurt him. Meanwhile, you can hope for all of us old white guys to die off, because it's sure to be better when we're gone.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 06:27:16 pm »
Or, as was stated, Limbaugh didn't want to be a king maker, (king breaker). Limbaugh and Trump are friendly, when you're famous and extremely wealthy, finding people in a similar circumstance can be an issue.

But, don't concern yourself with that. Rage on at Limbaugh, you can't hurt him. Meanwhile, you can hope for all of us old white guys to die off, because it's sure to be better when we're gone.

I'm old too and don't listen to Rush.  Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 06:28:19 pm »

Ummmm, @Relic, just curious:  where do you see any examples of "rage" in this thread?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 06:31:38 pm »
It is great to witness a #nevertrump admit their belief Obama would be a better President than McCain.
Yep, that's why he voted for him. Makes perfect sense you vote for the guy that you think is worse.

You either need more coffee or to switch to decaf. I'm not sure which.

Offline Relic

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 06:35:46 pm »
Ummmm, @Relic, just curious:  where do you see any examples of "rage" in this thread?

Well, the first tip off is a hit piece from politico posted on a site that once upon a time billed itself as a conservative site. Rage isn't always manifested as low, obnoxious, profane expression. One of the most vocal of the legion of #nevertrumps posted this hit piece in the wake of news of Trump gaining in the polls.

And then there is:

"Old geezers who listen to talk radio are dying off. "

I classify it as rage. You are free to classify it as loving care if you wish.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 07:35:27 pm »
Well, the first tip off is a hit piece from politico posted on a site that once upon a time billed itself as a conservative site. Rage isn't always manifested as low, obnoxious, profane expression. One of the most vocal of the legion of #nevertrumps posted this hit piece in the wake of news of Trump gaining in the polls.

And then there is:

"Old geezers who listen to talk radio are dying off. "

I classify it as rage. You are free to classify it as loving care if you wish.

Well, Relic, there's a whole big continuum between love and rage.  You go immediately to the rage end.  Got it.

Offline flowers

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 07:49:52 pm »
I hope he is. He showed his true self this election cycle.