Author Topic: TOLD YOU SO: The Trump Betrayal Train Continues at Breakneck Pace  (Read 8148 times)

RAT Patrol

TOLD YOU SO: The Trump Betrayal Train Continues at Breakneck Pace

By: Caleb Howe (Diary)

Red State:  http://www.redstate.com/absentee/2016/05/22/told-trump-betrayal-train-continues-flying-rails-record-pace/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

TOLD YOU SO: The Trump Betrayal Train Continues at Breakneck Pace

By: Caleb Howe (Diary)  |  May 22nd, 2016 at 04:35 AM  |  63

I hate when people say “I don’t want to say ‘I told you so,’ but …”; I absolutely want to say that. I told you so. That is what I want to say. I told you so. I told you so. I told you so.Trump is not going to keep those dumb fake campaign promises he pretended to make while suckering you into voting for him. He’s not going to do it. And I freaking told you so. Here are just the latest examples.

The Wall, The Deportations, The Muslim Immigration Ban

Top Trump surrogate Rep. Chris Collins, just a few days ago, let slip that the wall and the deportations are figments of his audience’s imagination. As I and so many others have said 10 billion times, of course he was just saying what people wanted to hear. He was saying whatever he could to get elected. The plan all along was to just blame congress when, as intended, he fails to follow through. And, of course, we were totally right.

Listen to Trump respond to a question about Collins’ “virtual wall” and “rhetorical deportations” statement in an interview with Brett Baier that aired last night.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmztTsaJH4Q

“Look, everything, honestly, is going to be up .. we’re going to negotiate. I can’t make these decisions myself. We have congress … we have to deal with a lot of people. I mean, you know, I can’t just take executive orders like Obama and .. it’s me, and lots of congressmen and lots of senators and lots of everything. So I would say that certain things will be changed, certain things will be, stay exactly the same.”

Trump says he can’t just order people to do things, but that rather it’s a negotiation. That’s a far cry from the tough talk of his campaign up until now. When he said “they’ll do as I tell them” at a GOP debate, his supporters online went into paroxysms of ecstasy. Social media is filled with imagery of Trump as the dictator in chief, making America great and white again. His supporters demand allegiance and obedience and they think he does too. Now watch them pivot as they try to defend his backtracking as something nuanced. “He has to work with Congress, that’s the law,” they’ll say. The same people who so recently swore loyalty oaths and daily pledge their undying servitude to the man they envision as the embodiment of iron will.

Money, Money, Money, Moooneyyy

That’s not the only new news, though. Unbelievably, there’s still more on the funding front, via RedState Editor Leon Wolf:

Donald Trump insists he personally funded his primary campaign, but a new report filed by his presidential campaign tells a different story.

Trump has now spent a total of $43 million, according to his filing with the Federal Election Commission made available Saturday, and all of it is still structured as a loan to the campaign. That means he can be legally reimbursed for his spending, with new campaign donations, until August.

The whole self-funding thing was a lie in the first place, but as I’ve explained, it was nevertheless a chief selling point of his campaign. “By self-funding my campaign, I am not controlled by my donors, special interests or lobbyists. I am only working for the people of the U.S.” he said on Facebook in September. Of course, he actually did raise money, several million in fact. And then he decided it was time to go big for the general election, as we covered here and here.

And now look. He literally says “loaned” the campaign. Not “gave” or “donated” but that he “loaned” his campaign the money. And though his mouthpieces claim he won’t try to get that money back, he has refused to take the opportunity of his FEC filing to actually do so. He left it open.

The campaign’s new report, required by federal election law, reveals that contrary to Trump’s statement, his campaign continues to treat the money as a loan — not a contribution.

The campaign could convert any or all of the loans to a donation with the stroke of a pen.

But they haven’t.

The Two Trumps

Donald Trump has made it clear, as have his surrogates and his talking heads, that everything he’s said or promised up to this point is negotiable. Iron will indeed.

It has always been a strange delusion: Trump the dictator, Trump the negotiator. The unlikely pairing. On the one hand a Putin- or Mussolini-like figure exacting vengeance, and on the other a typical politician working with congress on both sides of the aisle to find out what they’ll give him. Which is it, Trump fans?

Will the savior of America stomp onto the stage, kick down the doors, and clean house? Or will he sit in leather office chair at a conference table and give ground to the House? Tell us. Or better yet, tell yourself. Because right now, he’s on a backtrack bender. You better decide if you’re betrayed by it, or if you’re simply going to change your tune.

Offline bilo

Re: TOLD YOU SO: The Trump Betrayal Train Continues at Breakneck Pace
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:09:09 pm »
I don't fault Trump for structuring the money he gave to his campaign as loans, or using Trump Corp. assets with the expectation of being reimbursed. I'm sure he's expecting interest to be paid on the money he lent his campaign as well. I don't see anything wrong with any of this. He did nothing illegal and he made money on his time.

What I do find objectionable is the bald face lying that he was self funding his campaign. The clear point being he was giving his money to his campaign with no expectation of being repaid. If he had been honest about what he was doing I could respect it. However, with everything Trump you always find that the whole truth doesn't come out of his mouth.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:11:33 pm »
Never fooled me!  I've seen con men in action before.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:12:03 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:53:05 pm »
Red State is paid to rot your brain with Trump opposition Propaganda.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:32:13 am »

Considering you, a person who copy/pastes text as if it were his own, think Sundance is a pillar of journalistic integrity, that don't carry a lot of weight.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 12:47:46 am »

Told you so, told you so, told you so.  Ted told you and I told you too.  The whole thing was rhetoric to get people wound up.  As you can see it will be liberal politics as usual.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 12:48:11 am »

Do you have a rebuttal to the facts of the piece, other than ad hominem reply?

Or perhaps an answer to the question posed by the author:  "Which is it, Trump fans?"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:51:34 am »
Do you have a rebuttal to the facts of the piece, other than ad hominem reply?

Or perhaps an answer to the question posed by the author:  "Which is it, Trump fans?"
What facts"? Its Red State in Desperation tossing garbage out.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 12:54:42 am »
I don't fault Trump for structuring the money he gave to his campaign as loans, or using Trump Corp. assets with the expectation of being reimbursed. I'm sure he's expecting interest to be paid on the money he lent his campaign as well. I don't see anything wrong with any of this. He did nothing illegal and he made money on his time.

What I do find objectionable is the bald face lying that he was self funding his campaign. The clear point being he was giving his money to his campaign with no expectation of being repaid. If he had been honest about what he was doing I could respect it. However, with everything Trump you always find that the whole truth doesn't come out of his mouth.
I always thought it would be a loan. I was slammed in several different ways for suggesting it. I actually think it was a smart move to do so. The part where he insisted he was "self funding" and suggesting others were"bought" for not doing the same was sleazy.

Offline verga

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 12:55:37 am »
What facts"? Its Red State in Desperation tossing garbage out.
Then it should be easy enough for you to prove it wrong.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:11:50 am »

Trumps hands just got a whole lot smaller.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 01:28:15 am »
RedState is no doubt #Never Trump and slants their articles in a big way, and doesn't hid it.

I have never doubted that Trump was going to "lend" his campaign money. He would not be the first to do so. He will not be the last to do so.
What bothered me before, an does now,is that he promoted it as "self funding", rather than "loaning" as aPR stunt. The only journalist that I ever heard ask him about it getting paid back was Anderson Cooper. Trump bascically dodged it an said it was something about lawyers.
The illusion was that everyone was"bought off" except him. It gave rise to that whole Goldman Sachs nonsense. Trump hiring a Goldman Sach partner of 17 years was no mistake. He knows where to go to get the campaign money he needs. Both to continue, and to "reimburse" his "loan".
Not mad that he is doing it, just mad that he duped the less informed.
I don't count you among the less informed, BTW.
Your arguement doesn't seem to question the act, just RedState themselves, and they are #Never Trump.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:32:55 am by GrouchoTex »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 01:30:20 am »
Never fooled me!  I've seen con men in action before.

The con in "con men" is of course, shorthand for "confidence", in which a misplaced faith in the ability of a salesman to produce something deeply desired by the salesman's "mark" is never truly delivered, but for which the victim nonetheless gratefully pays. And then, too late: they see.

Why? Because human nature is both immutable and predictable. People of good character seek to appeal to the same in others. But people of ill intent and poor character learn, often early in life, that they may easily play others for suckers by cleverly manipulating their desires and fears. It is a commonplace human tragedy that wisdom is learned all too often by painful lessons. Or else, it is never learned at all.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 01:33:32 am »
RedState is no doubt #Never Trump and slants their articles in a big way, and doesn't hid it.

I have never doubted that Trump was going to "lend" his campaign money. He would not be the first to do so. He will not be the last to do so.
What bothered me before, an does now,is that he promoted it as "self funding", rather than "loaning" as aPR stunt. The only journalist that I ever heard ask him about it getting paid back was Anderson Cooper. Trump bascically dodged it an said it was something about lawyers.
The illusion was that everyone was"bought off" except him. It gave rise to that whole Goldman Sachs nonsense. Trump hiring a Goldman Sach partner of 17 years was no mistake. He knows where to go to get the campaign money he needs. Both to continue, and to "reimburse" his "loan".
Not mad that he is doing it, just mad that he duped the less informed.

He was just self-funding with other people's money, that's all.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 01:36:49 am »
He was just self-funding with other people's money, that's all.

Exactly right!
I am glad it is out there now.
A common practice, yet you couldn't get some of the Trump supporters to even fathom the thought.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 01:42:11 am »
Trump's spokesman John Miller is paid to rot your brain with Trump Propaganda.

In the interest of self disclosure I must admit I just cut and pasted your comment and altered it a bit.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 01:44:03 am »

Translation: I don't like what the article says so I'll just dismiss it thereby relieving me of the duty to refute it with facts
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

A-Lert

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 01:45:30 am »
The incessant whining and whimpering from Redstate is truly pathetic.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:43 am »

Your incessant whining and whimpering about Redstate is truly pathetic.

Enjoy your timeout?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 01:58:04 am »

Get off the floor young man/woman/other/whatever you are. You still arent getting a candybar until you refute the article with verifiable facts.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 02:09:29 am »

“Look, everything, honestly, is going to be up .. we’re going to negotiate. I can’t make these decisions myself. We have congress … we have to deal with a lot of people. I mean, you know, I can’t just take executive orders like Obama and .. it’s me, and lots of congressmen and lots of senators and lots of everything. So I would say that certain things will be changed, certain things will be, stay exactly the same.”

There's only two explanations for this:
1. What he is saying isn't what he means.
2. He's willing to negotiate on TheWall.

Either way he comes off as not telling the complete truth.

But really, we all knew he wouldn't really build a wall, didn't we?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 02:17:19 am »

There's only two explanations for this:
1. What he is saying isn't what he means.
2. He's willing to negotiate on TheWall.

Either way he comes off as not telling the complete truth.

But really, we all knew he wouldn't really build a wall, didn't we?

Let me say up front I am 100% pro wall.

with that out of the way, People running around screaming  WALLLLLLLL!!!!!! as their justification for trump support should look beyond his words that are by his own statement, 'suggestions' and hold no more permanence than beach sand in a tornado.

Lets say Trump follows through and goes Gung ho for the sake of believing such a fantasy. How many of the lesser evils that people ignored reason to elect are going to side with him, a man they despise more than the majority of America, and how many are going to side with the Dems who they cater to on an ongoing basis?

It is even more a fantasy to think these unprincipled liberal Republicans are going to fund his wall than it is to believe that DT would try building it to begin with.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:19:06 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 02:21:32 am »
It is even more a fantasy to think these unprincipled liberal Republicans are going to fund his wall than it is to believe that DT would try building it to begin with.

Mexico is cutting a check for that wall.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 02:26:46 am »
Let me say up front I am 100% pro wall.

with that out of the way, People running around screaming  WALLLLLLLL!!!!!! as their justification for trump support should look beyond his words that are by his own statement, 'suggestions' and hold no more permanence than beach sand in a tornado.

Lets say Trump follows through and goes Gung ho for the sake of believing such a fantasy. How many of the lesser evils that people ignored reason to elect are going to side with him, a man they despise more than the majority of America, and how many are going to side with the Dems who they cater to on an ongoing basis?

I am pro wall as well.  I am more pro reality.  And for every reason you listed, barring a catastrophic attack that directly affects most Americans and reverses our current catastrophic PC attitude, this wall ain't getting built.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 02:28:05 am »
Mexico is cutting a check for that wall.

Lol.

PS. The wall will cost well over $10 billion.