Author Topic: She is Opening a New Late-Term Abortion Clinic: “We’re Going to Go Further”  (Read 955 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
She is Opening a New Late-Term Abortion Clinic: “We’re Going to Go Further”

Micaiah Bilger   May 23, 2016   |   12:34PM    Oklahoma City, OK

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/05/23/she-is-opening-a-new-late-term-abortion-clinic-were-going-to-go-further/

At the same time when Oklahoma lawmakers are trying to stop abortions altogether in their state, Julie Burkhart is working to expand them.

Burkhart plans to open a new, late-term abortion business in Oklahoma City this summer, according to Rolling Stone. The businesswoman has a shady reputation, having once run an abortion clinic for late-term abortionist George Tiller. She currently owns and runs an abortion business in Wichita, Kansas.

On making the decision to expand her abortion business to the conservative state, Burkhart said: “After the physician in Oklahoma City went out of business, I felt like it was even more important. If you want abortion care in Oklahoma, currently you have to go to Tulsa or Norman. Our clinic will go further in terms of gestational limit, and it will be one more site for people to go to.”

Her comments hinted that the new Oklahoma facility will do late-term abortions. In a February interview, she confirmed that it will: She told Bloomberg that they will do abortions up to 24 weeks in Oklahoma, LifeNews reported. Burkhart’s current move-in date is June 20, according to the report.

She complained to the liberal magazine that she has been facing a lot of obstacles to open her new abortion facility. She said many Oklahoma businesses did not want to work with her because of the nature of her business, making her feel “ostracized.” She also said the state Department of Health made it difficult to get an abortion clinic license.

“I think it was a mixture of people not understanding or knowing exactly what to do — because no provider of abortion had wanted to open a clinic since the Seventies — and I think we had some obstructionists in the Department of Health who thought maybe we would just go away,” Burkhart said.

In the previous interview, Burkhart also complained about financial woes, claiming that her Kansas facility was barely breaking even, though it takes in about $1 million a year and though she is expanding to Oklahoma.

She said she also is keeping her eye on a new Oklahoma bill that would strip abortionists of their medical licenses and basically ban abortions in the state. The state legislature passed the bill earlier this month; but Gov. Mary Fallin vetoed it on Friday, LifeNews reported.

If state lawmakers override Fallin’s veto and the bill becomes law, Burkhart said she may consider filing a lawsuit. During the interview, she claimed that her abortionists have “good hearts” and she wants to do “everything in our power” to protect them.

excerpted

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
 "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever. "

Thomas Jefferson