Author Topic: Is it a sin to work on Sunday?  (Read 2318 times)

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
Is it a sin to work on Sunday?
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:25:26 pm »
  :thud: My husband and I are having an argument about this.  Me being non-denominational Christian and him being Catholic (St. Pius X).  He calls me a "convenient Christian" who has taken books out of the Bible in order to fit my beliefs and that I'm a sinner because I don't follow the rules he does.  I found the the following article laid out below, and the viewpoints described in it (which seem to be biblically sound) match my beliefs as a Christian.  I believe in the New Testament and how rules/laws were changed because of Jesus dying on the Cross.  IMO, I feel that my husband is ignoring/negating the whole purpose of Jesus coming and dying for us, and the teachings of the New Testament, because he still holds to the laws/rules of Old Testament times and refuses to even discuss any other viewpoints.  He gets very defensive and then becomes mean and very insulting to my beliefs, even though I'm just trying to get him to read the passages in the bible in context to understand where I'm getting my beliefs from.   :shrug: So we can't even have a rational discussion.  And then he pulls the patriarch card, and tells me I shouldn't be a quarrelsome woman... :chairbang:

I'm wondering what people think themselves about "keeping the Sabbath Holy" and if that means absolutely no work at all on Sunday, or does that mean it's ok to work, as long as it's not interfering with making God the priority that day
[/b]. :0001:   
[/font]

Many people have jobs that require them to work on Sunday. One such person once asked to speak to me concerning the question: Is it a sin to work on Sunday? After our discussion he asked me to write about the topic. He believed that as a result many with a burdened conscience might find relief.

To Israel God gave the command that the seventh day or the Sabbath should be a day of rest. "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy." Working was strictly forbidden. However, necessary chores were allowed. An ox that fell into a well was pulled out, etc. The main purpose of the Sabbath was to hear the Word of God (Lev. 23:3). The Sabbath had a symbolical significance. It pointed to the rest for the conscience and the heavenly rest that Christ earned for us. "There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" (Heb.4:9). The Sabbath was part of the Ceremonial Law (Deut. 5:15), which since the beginning of the New Covenant is no longer in effect.

The Apostle Paul writes: "Therefore let no one act as your judge in... respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day" (Col. 2:16). The Sabbath had been a "mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ." In other words: As long as we see only the shadow of a person coming toward us from behind a building, we look at the shadow. But just as soon as the person himself comes into view, we forget the shadow and look at the person. Thus during the New Testament era we are no longer bound to symbols or shadows, but in God's Word we see Jesus Himself.

Jesus did not replace the Sabbath with something else. Christians voluntarily for the sake of order selected Sunday as their day of rest, because it was the day on which Jesus had risen from the dead. Now there is no command of God that sets aside a certain day of the week apart from the others. "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind" (Rom. 14:5). When the legalistically?minded Christian Jews demanded that the Sabbath day be observed, Paul told them it belonged to the elemental things of the world, which lead them away from the grace of Christ (Gal. 4 and 5). Therefore the Sabbath and Sunday are now matters neither commanded nor forbidden by God. There is no divine command concerning them, and their external observance or non?observance does not affect our salvation.

But what then is required of us in the Third Commandment?

Dr. Luther's explanation is excellent: "We should fear and love God that we may not despise preaching and His Word, but hold it sacred and gladly hear and learn it." Luther says nothing about working or about special days. But what does he emphasize? Studying and hearing God's Word. In His Large Catechism Luther says that we must always have God's Word in our heart, upon our lips and in our ears.

As far as the Word of God is concerned we may with a good conscience work on Sunday, as long as we do not use such work as an excuse to neglect the hearing and studying of God's Word.
 :amen:

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
Re: Is it a sin to work on Sunday?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:29:47 pm »
I'll add that by "work", I'm talking household chores, cleaning up around the house, doing yardwork, taking out trash, etc., not actually working at a job for pay.  My husband claims ANY work is a sin. 

I personally believe that's BS :bsflag: I think it's an excuse for him to be a lazy F**k (excuse my french).

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 10:31:44 pm »
I am Catholic and brought up in a VERY religious household. We were taught that working on Sun was a sin....no laundry done, don't dare bring out the vacuum to clean up any mess..very few stores were open then to...everything had to wait til Mon....boy have times changed.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:32:49 pm »
I don't think God really cares. Another part of the bible written by men. Would God punish a nurse, doctor,firemen for working Sunday?

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 10:38:40 pm »
Sundays are my laundry day....after church, I roll em out, one load after another.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 10:41:13 pm »
The company that does the snow removal for my office building also does my Catholic church every Sunday morning if required.  Is God going to send him to hell?

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 10:46:10 pm »
I'll add that by "work", I'm talking household chores, cleaning up around the house, doing yardwork, taking out trash, etc., not actually working at a job for pay.  My husband claims ANY work is a sin. 

I personally believe that's BS :bsflag: I think it's an excuse for him to be a lazy F**k (excuse my french).

I bet he wants his breakfast, lunch and dinner though lol

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 11:10:00 pm »
I'm a fairly devout Catholic.  I believe the catechism teaches that work is to be avoided on Sunday, but that for those who must work, it is not a sin.  Sunday is for the person, not some imposition of meaningless rules on the person.  Employers would want folks to work seven days per week, without the Sabbath.  It is the Sabbath that gives us the concept of the weekend, of time away from labor..
Former Republican.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 11:10:16 pm »
Is it work if you enjoy doing it?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 11:13:25 pm »
The prohibition against work on the last or seventh day of the week 'the Sabbath' (which is Saturday not Sunday) is defined in the Law of Moses in the Old Testament. It is written in what is called the 'New Testament' that Jesus said several times and in several ways that work is permitted on the Sabbath. Jesus also abolished the laws of 'kashrut' (kosher) and very many other Jewish religious observances.

If someone wants to observe the 'Sabbath' according to the writings of the Torah, then that person would not work on Saturdays, and would likely observe the kosher laws among many other Old Testament commandments. However, if a person worships on Sunday (the first day of the week) and by the New Testament then the law of not working on Sunday (Sabbath?) does not apply, nor should it.

Jewish Law holds that Gentiles are exempt from the Old Testament and the commandments therein. Non-Jews can work and eat a ham and cheese sandwich while doing it, and that is just fine with the universe. The Laws of the Torah only pertain to Jews and no one else. Non-Jews should behave ethically and with righteousness of course, but they are not 'bound' by the Laws of Moses and his teachers as the Jews are. Unlike the Muslims and some Christian groups, Judaism has no desire to convert the world or to convert anyone for that matter. What the Gentiles eat or will not eat, or, do or will not do, within limits of course, is of no concern to Jews.

So tell your husband to get off his duff and mow the lawn, or you are going to start cooking only kosher meals. That should motivate anyone.

Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 11:16:43 pm »
Is it work if you enjoy doing it?
In that respsect, isn't the Priest or Pastor technically "working" on every Sabbath?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 11:56:42 pm »
I'm wondering what people think themselves about "keeping the Sabbath Holy" and if that means absolutely no work at all on Sunday, or does that mean it's ok to work, as long as it's not interfering with making God the priority that day

Most Christians of every stripe endorse the ten commandments... well, seven of them anyway.

The Sabbath is Saturday, and there can be no argument otherwise from a Biblical perspective.

Many people have jobs that require them to work on Sunday. One such person once asked to speak to me concerning the question: Is it a sin to work on Sunday? After our discussion he asked me to write about the topic. He believed that as a result many with a burdened conscience might find relief.

It was never the case that there was *NO* work on Sabbath. Warriors still guarded the land, priests and synagogue/temple workers did their thing. The animals needed food and water, the cow/goat needed milked... water systems and floodgates needed to be manned... Midwives necessarily plied their trade, as did physicians, coroners, etc...

As a Christian Messianic, I find blessing in observing Shabbat, even as YHWH promises. Now that I understand it, it is a joy, not a burden. It's the day I look forward to. Why on earth would anyone purposefully *not* keep Shabbat? That's crazy talk.

Cast off the prejudices and rule-making of men, turn to Torah, and study what YHWH says. Then turn to Yeshua, your example, and see what he did. It isn't hard to figure out. Then practice it and see if YHWH is good to His Word - You will find yourself blessed.

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 12:03:06 am »
It is a sin we let this thread even start.   

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 12:07:49 am »
Technically, the Sabbath is Saturday.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 02:29:29 am »
It is a sin we let this thread even start.
Aw come on.  I was just looking for others opinions and venting myself.  I thought this place was the place to do that.  Was I wrong? :shrug:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 02:33:16 am »
No.  It is not a sin to work on Sundays.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 02:34:57 am »
Did Jesus not heal a man on the sabbath?

It is a sin to bury oneself in work nonstop; it wears on the body and is a sign of worry. That much is clear from the old and new testaments. But to perform basic tasks on a Sunday is not, in general, a sin.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 02:35:27 am »
Aw come on.  I was just looking for others opinions and venting myself.  I thought this place was the place to do that.  Was I wrong? :shrug:

Nah...as long as it is kept light and fun..no problem with it
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 03:02:54 am »
My wife is a good Catholic girl who apparently thinks everyday is Sunday....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 06:24:28 am »
Evil doesn't take a day off. Why should good?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 06:11:42 pm »
We grew up non-denominational Protestants not caught up in the religious trappings of the Catholic Church, including Lent and no work on Sundays.  My grandmother was Catholic however and I rather enjoyed the scolding she would give my mom if she caught me mowing the lawn or some other chore on a Sunday.    “Yea, that’s it, you tell her Grandma.”

But in all seriousness, no I do not believe it is a sin to do work on Sunday. But don’t let work or rest break the fellowship you have with God.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline L9teen

• Am I here?
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 06:30:45 pm »

But in all seriousness, no I do not believe it is a sin to do work on Sunday. But don’t let work or rest break the fellowship you have with God.
:word:

Offline al_c

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 06:58:08 pm »
Catholic teaching says to refrain from unnecessary work on Sundays.
al_c

Offline jedidah

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 07:36:13 pm »
Christ rose on the first day of the week, the day after the weekly Sabbath.  That's why Christians, from the beginning, have met on Sunday, to remember the resurrection, worship, and strengthen each other. 

Sunday was the first day of the work week in the first century.  The earliest Christians met together to worship at sunrise, then went to work, then came together again in the evening for a common meal.

Treating Sunday as a day of rest is just cultural.  Mankind, even dressed in clerical robes, is adept at making stuff up, like treating Sunday as a sabbath. 

(But I can't do without my Sunday afternoon nap!)