Author Topic: Texas judge quotes 'Bridge of Spies' while ordering 100,000 immigrants to hand over their personal details  (Read 642 times)

rangerrebew

Texas judge quotes 'Bridge of Spies' while ordering 100,000 immigrants to hand over their personal details
‘My name’s Donovan, Irish, both sides, mother and father. I’m Irish, you’re German, but what makes us both Americans? Just one thing… the rulebook’

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-judge-quotes-bridge-of-spies-while-ordering-100000-immigrants-to-hand-over-their-personal-a7039891.html

Rachael Revesz New York
    @RachaelRevesz
    Friday 20 May 2016

A federal judge in Texas has quoted extensively from Hollywood films to support his ruling that 100,000 immigrants hand over their contact information.

Judge Andrew Hanen quoted from the film “Bridge of Spies” to argue that all immigrants are only American if they abide by the "rules".

"My name’s Donovan, Irish, both sides, mother and father. I’m Irish, you’re German, but what makes us both Americans? Just one thing… the rulebook."

He also cited script from 1947 film "Miracle on 34th Street" to illustrate that lawyers should not lie in court.

Read more
US Supreme Court rejected appeal of controversial Texas voter ID law

His bugbear is that the Justice Department allegedly deceived him by not informing him that immigrants who came to the US as children, and who have to reapply every two years to stay in the US, will now have to apply every three years instead.

He is now demanding the Justice Department turn over personal information and addresses of more than 100,000 beneficiaries of the new three-year program between November 2014 and March 2015.

Mr Hanen said he would keep the information private but “on a showing of good cause“ he would “release the list or a portion thereof to” state authorities in one of the 26 states that sued the Obama administration to halt the program.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:33:07 am by rangerrebew »

Offline MajorClay