Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Evangelical leaders to quiz Trump on faith and values  (Read 1635 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
EXCLUSIVE: Evangelical leaders to quiz Trump on faith and values

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/05/21/exclusive-evangelical-leaders-to-quiz-trump-on-faith-and-values.html?intcmp=hplnws

Donald Trump has agreed to meet privately with some of the nation’s most prominent Evangelical leaders – a meeting seen as critical to garnering support from social conservatives, Fox News has learned.

“Our goal is to be able to have a conversation that could lead to a better understanding of what Donald Trump has to offer to the country,” said Family Research Council President Tony Perkins.

Perkins is one of the key conservative leaders spearheading the gathering – set for June 21 in New York City. Perkins, along with Bill Dallas of United in Purpose, worked with Dr. Ben Carson to arrange the meeting.

As many as 500 conservative leaders from around the nation are expected to attend the invitation-only event.

The meeting was convened by a who’s who among Evangelicals – including Southern Baptist Convention President Ronnie Floyd, James Dobson, Ralph Reed, Penny Nance, Bob McEwen, Tim Wildmon of the American Family Association, Kelly Shackleford of First Liberty, and mega-church pastors Jack Graham and Ed Young.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Evangelical leaders to quiz Trump on faith and values
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 08:44:58 pm »
Gee ... and now the vetting of Trump begins??  A little late. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 08:49:49 pm »
This'll be a hoot.

Be sure and study up on 2 Corinthians, Donald.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:50:35 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 08:59:32 pm »
I wanted to get this in as Comment 1 but laptop crashed then a Win 10 update. Grrrr

Kudos to Carson for setting this up and to Trump for accepting it.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 09:01:08 pm »
This'll be a hoot.

Be sure and study up on 2 Corinthians, Donald.

This failed in the Primary when it was tried because not everybody who is a believer says it the same way. The same fatal flaw with this meme exists today.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 09:04:54 pm »
I wanted to get this in as Comment 1 but laptop crashed then a Win 10 update. Grrrr

Kudos to Carson for setting this up and to Trump for accepting it.
I agree. One of the things Trump supporters find a positive is Trump's promise to protect freedom of religion. I would like to see that fleshed out more. I do not expect him to say anything one way or the other about Homosexuals tho, as that would be business suicide in most of the Sates where he has large operations. Its a No-win situation for him to even comment on it.

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 09:09:26 pm »
At least he has a whole month to prepare. Crash course in Christianity- who will tutor him?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 09:11:06 pm »

How stupid is this?

By His Fruits we will know him, and we already know Trump's fruits because he demonstrates them and brags about them.

Evangelicals wanting to 'question' them now are simply looking for a way to fit the fruits already known into acceptability, and thereby wash themselves of any responsibility or culpability before The Lord of their support.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 09:21:47 pm »
How stupid is this?

By His Fruits we will know him, and we already know Trump's fruits because he demonstrates them and brags about them.

Evangelicals wanting to 'question' them now are simply looking for a way to fit the fruits already known into acceptability, and thereby wash themselves of any responsibility or culpability before The Lord of their support.

Maybe that's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at is as an an opportunity for Trump to be exposed to, perhaps for the first time, teaching of traditional Christian morality.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 09:47:17 pm »
Maybe that's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at is as an an opportunity for Trump to be exposed to, perhaps for the first time, teaching of traditional Christian morality.

This is not the first time Trump has had pow-wows with Evangelical pastors and church leaders.  He has had several of them already, none of them have impacted his behavior and rhetoric.

Trump is not a humble man by his own words and behavior and those of us who know the scriptures understand that God resists the proud.

We are instructed to judge the fruits.  Given biblical instructions and outlines about what kind of person is fit to hold office within the church - the fact this people no longer see any value in those same requirements being applied to one who seeks to rule the country, consigns us to the tyranny of men.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 10:18:35 pm »
This is not the first time Trump has had pow-wows with Evangelical pastors and church leaders.  He has had several of them already, none of them have impacted his behavior and rhetoric.

Trump is not a humble man by his own words and behavior and those of us who know the scriptures understand that God resists the proud.

We are instructed to judge the fruits.  Given biblical instructions and outlines about what kind of person is fit to hold office within the church - the fact this people no longer see any value in those same requirements being applied to one who seeks to rule the country, consigns us to the tyranny of men.

Christians should not judge the World but other Christians yes by the fruits.  So Trump made a huge error in waving that Bible around saying he was a Christian.  Then turning around and mocking the very meaning of Christianity by saying he had no need for forgiveness.  No true Christian would say that.

I have listened to Focus on the Family and Dr. James Dobson for at least 25 years.  I can't see him endorsing Trump as a believer in Christ.  I can't say how Trump raises his family but his Christian values are none.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 11:03:22 pm »
Two Corrinthians should have been all the vetting they needed.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 11:53:28 pm »
Christians should not judge the World but other Christians yes by the fruits.  So Trump made a huge error in waving that Bible around saying he was a Christian.  Then turning around and mocking the very meaning of Christianity by saying he had no need for forgiveness.  No true Christian would say that.

I have listened to Focus on the Family and Dr. James Dobson for at least 25 years.  I can't see him endorsing Trump as a believer in Christ.  I can't say how Trump raises his family but his Christian values are none.

The Orthodox Church begins Great Lent with the story of the Pharisee and the Publican.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+18:9-14

Summary: One praised himself. The other... "He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’"

Click link for rest of story.