Author Topic: Update On UGA RB Nick Chubb  (Read 410 times)

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
Update On UGA RB Nick Chubb
« on: May 21, 2016, 05:26:55 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWN3FL0bdzc

Kirby Smart getting frequent video updates on RB Nick Chubb

OnlineAthens - By Marc Weiszer

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart was ready to open the floor Wednesday night to questions at his first UGA Day alumni event in state since being hired when he remembered something important.

“Oh, yeah, yeah,” Smart told the crowd at the Walnut Creek Shooting Preserve. “I forgot one thing. No quarterback questions.”

The fans that paid $20 for getting to hear Smart and men’s basketball coach Mark Fox and eat a barbecue dinner complied, but Smart did field a question in his nearly 30 minutes speaking on another hot offseason topic.

That would be the health of star running back Nick Chubb, who is returning from multiple ligament damage in his left knee that ended his season early last season.

Smart gets video updates about every three or four days of Chubb sent to him from director of sports medicine Ron Courson.

“I might be at the office, I might be at home, I might be on the road but when you get that video and you know it has a link, I’m fired up,” Smart said.

Chubb practiced in a non-contact jersey this spring in run polish drills and was seen without a brace on the knee when he did some drill work. He did not play on G-Day,.

“So he’s sending me an “L” drill, shuttle drill, he’s out there working,” Smart said. “He is constantly sending me a video of the progress. Well I make a point, each time I get a video, to text Chubb saying, ‘Nick, I see you working. I see what you’re doing.’ Because he wants to be recognized for what he’s doing. He’s busted his tail. He’s living the silent life right now. He’s ready to come bursting out at first opportunity.”

Chubb is one of up to 20 Georgia players staying on campus for the “Maymester,” at Georgia.

Smart again says he’s not an “SME. I am not a subject matter expert on knee injuries.”

He said Chubb, a Heisman Trophy contender before his injury last season, is “working his tail off.”

Smart said he will “rely on the doctors. We’re going make a good decision based on his long-term career and health, but he’s a great kid. He’s a kid that has taken the first initiative to call out other kids who aren’t working out. Which, when you start to get that, you start to get the change. It doesn’t need to be me telling kids they should work out. It needs to be him and he’s taken on that role now and it’s hard to do that when you are on the sideline. But he’s taken ownership of a couple of guys and I’ve been really pleased with that.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muK29IWBDqQ

Georgia running back Nick Chubb hails from historic Chubbtown, Georgia, a free black colony that survived the Civil War, and is a descendant of the town’s founders.

Excellent ESPN Video (See link below)

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14819383

GO DAWGS !!!

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Update On UGA RB Nick Chubb
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 05:44:31 pm »
Tennessee guy here. Was watching the game and felt sick at my stomach. He was fun to watch and if he can come back it will be a great thing.

I will still hate them Dawgs - I was exiled in Atlanta during the Herschel years - and it was tough.

In fact, I was in the South end zone of Neyland when he absolutely blew up Bill Bates on what was, I believe was his first touchdown.

How are the Dawg fans feeling about the coaching change? You know how we Vols know how that can go South very quickly.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 06:25:07 pm »
Tennessee guy here... I will still hate them Dawgs...

Kirby seems to be changing the "culture" in Athens.  All indications are that his practices in the fall were more intense and very "detailed to detail".  I expect 2016 to be a challenging year depending on development of the defensive line and a course "quarterback".

I keep hearing that UT and Butch have been "building brick by brick", so maybe this is your year.  I did read that you guys were installing new turf this year although since your grounds keeper left, your field has been horrible.  I hope to be in Athens for the UT game.  I used to be one of the railroad track crowd:

@don-o
"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 07:02:34 pm »
Erk was hard core indeed.

About our field, they clearly screwed to pooch. It was embarrassing...though we had become used to that.

Seems we have some depth this year. Butch has to learn to close out a game. Some year, we may beat Florida. When he played not to lose last year at Neyland, one saw the writing on the wall. Ditto with Bama and Oklahoma. He has to step up his game, I am not convinced he has the right OC.

And we must be able to get a complete passing game going. Dobbs has improved, but coaches lack confidence in the long ball.

Running game is not a worry.

Defense will bring the pain.

Placekicking is a concern. What used to be automatic from 40 in was an adventure the past few years.